Ringfencing NOW upon us ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Ringfencing NOW upon us ?

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Is it the right decision this year, probably, longer term probably not, would they of contemplated this end game if Saracens were still in the Premiership & it was the Warriors or Falcons in the Championship...that for me is doubtful.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:10 am What if the championship season doesn't happen?

Who decides which side gets promoted? All sides can claim they would have won the league!
With the fact that all teams playing (all bar one of those initially scheduled to play in the championship) have agreed to testing players it essentially falls under the same rules of professional sports as the Premiership
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:45 am Look at last night,Gloc turn up without the pressure of relegation and Bath get a TBP win at Sale. Does it have anything to do with relegation being scrapped? Too early to tell but those who are trotting the meaningless games line just sit back ,if last nights anything to go by we could be in for a treat!
The people who say that tend to base it on mainly on Pro 14 games and how boring it is, then cry about how it's all because of no relegation.
The difference being though that Pro 14 clubs basically consider themselves 3rd to International unions and Europe, their selections all show it.
From what I believe the Premiership clubs all view the Premiership as equal footing to both International and Europe generally, a lot of that is because the clubs are owned by Owners and have themselves very little interest about England, it's why England coaches can't make a player leave a club like they can do in the pro 14, or tell the club to change their positions.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Never say never, but this could be me done with watching the Premiership.
This may affect my passion for top level club rugby, time will tell.
I had Gloucester versus Bristol on last night but I took little notice, it just wasn't as important.
Todays Leicester fixture with Quins has lost its edge.
Losing just doesn't matter so much anymore.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

When you look at the Championship I don't see how people could've expected the system to survive as things stand.
People will go "what about Exeter" they never talk about Yorkshire, Rotherham and London Welsh.

Last seasons top 5
You got Ealing now who are doing well they are everyone's next big hope, but their average attendance was 903 and it has a capacity of 4,000. How is that viable?
Cornish Pirates - have a new stadium being built that has already gone from capacity of 6K orginally and is being talked about maybe just 3K-4K capacity just last month. Work doesn't even start till 2023.
Coventry - Haven't heard anything on their plans for a new stadium since 2019, can Coventry really support 2 teams?
Ampthill - Has a 500 m walk from the changing rooms to the pitch.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:53 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:45 am Look at last night,Gloc turn up without the pressure of relegation and Bath get a TBP win at Sale. Does it have anything to do with relegation being scrapped? Too early to tell but those who are trotting the meaningless games line just sit back ,if last nights anything to go by we could be in for a treat!
The people who say that tend to base it on mainly on Pro 14 games and how boring it is, then cry about how it's all because of no relegation.
The difference being though that Pro 14 clubs basically consider themselves 3rd to International unions and Europe, their selections all show it.
From what I believe the Premiership clubs all view the Premiership as equal footing to both International and Europe generally, a lot of that is because the clubs are owned by Owners and have themselves very little interest about England, it's why England coaches can't make a player leave a club like they can do in the pro 14, or tell the club to change their positions.
Spot on RB,I’ve always said the PRO14 is just a vehicle for European and international rugby. Some very good teams in it but as a league shocking!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:13 pm Never say never, but this could be me done with watching the Premiership.
I had Gloucester versus Bristol on last night but I took little notice, it just wasn't as important.
There’s no edge lost whatsoever man!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:18 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:13 pm Never say never, but this could be me done with watching the Premiership.
I have felt with Pro14 that the 'edge' ebbs and flows TBH. Occasionally the gloves are off, as with Lam's Connacht in their pomp. I don't expect anything else now - it will be interesting how it affects the stadium fans, as opposed to the TV only ones.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I can imagine there will be one or two on here scrutinising every single game from now on so they can desperately come out with a version of “I told you so” as soon as there is a poor game 😂😂😂
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:14 pm When you look at the Championship I don't see how people could've expected the system to survive as things stand.
People will go "what about Exeter" they never talk about Yorkshire, Rotherham and London Welsh.

Last seasons top 5
You got Ealing now who are doing well they are everyone's next big hope, but their average attendance was 903 and it has a capacity of 4,000. How is that viable?
Cornish Pirates - have a new stadium being built that has already gone from capacity of 6K orginally and is being talked about maybe just 3K-4K capacity just last month. Work doesn't even start till 2023.
Coventry - Haven't heard anything on their plans for a new stadium since 2019, can Coventry really support 2 teams?
Ampthill - Has a 500 m walk from the changing rooms to the pitch.
Ampthill is a dire place to play rugby at. Pretty decent youth system though mind.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I just don't like the idea of ringfencing.It will exremely unfair to some of the top Championship sides. Saracens will get a free pass back, I know. :smt013
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:37 pm
I have felt with Pro14 that the 'edge' ebbs and flows TBH. Occasionally the gloves are off, as with Lam's Connacht in their pomp. I don't expect anything else now - it will be interesting how it affects the stadium fans, as opposed to the TV only ones.
Yes it's a strange one.
No doubt there are pro's and con's regarding ringfencing but everyone is different and my immediate feelings are that losing doesn't matter as much.
It's a feeling experienced last season only with Sarries being demoted for a reason it wasn't quite the same.
Not sure how it will be with nothing going down but we will see.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

BFG wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Yes it's a strange one.
No doubt there are pro's and con's regarding ringfencing but everyone is different and my immediate feelings are that losing doesn't matter as much.
It's a feeling experienced last season only with Sarries being demoted for a reason it wasn't quite the same.
Your mileage may, and almost certainly does, vary but I'm hopping mad over the game at the stoop because, to me, every game matters and always will...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Crofty wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:01 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:17 pm
Yes it's a strange one.
Your mileage may, and almost certainly does, vary but I'm hopping mad over the game at the stoop because, to me, every game matters and always will...

Other than superficially losing every game doesn't matter.
It's new and I expect everyone will be different.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Some reasons why the fact there is nothing superficially on the line doesn't hold true:

#1 Some of Tigers biggest games historically were against the Ba Ba's and against touring sides.
#2 Didn't we get 15,000 at Welford Road v Saints for the 'fill in' Cup under whatever guise it was.
#3 Coaches and players positions are always under scrutiny and losing becomes a habit.
#4 Believe it or not most coaches and players do it above all because they enjoy and are passionate about the game.

If todays game against Quins didn't mean much to you because we can't be relegated then I find that rather odd.