Sort the tackle area out, please!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Sort the tackle area out, please!

Post by TigerCam »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:32 pm Bring back rucking and ban hands in there, ban lifting in the lineout as well if we are talking player safety.
Exactly! :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:37 pm https://youtu.be/CreJDCJWnJs

Watch the first angle. Francis tackled VDF,ill use that term loosely,then Tips jumped up off the floor to attempt the turnover with Francis purposefully falling on the wrong side to try and block the incoming clear out. Chiefs tactics 101!
Doesn't stop it being a red card though, if AWJ had done it you would of imploded.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Watch the first angle. Francis tackled VDF,ill use that term loosely,then Tips jumped up off the floor to attempt the turnover with Francis purposefully falling on the wrong side to try and block the incoming clear out. Chiefs tactics 101!
Doesn't stop it being a red card though, if AWJ had done it you would of imploded.
If he didn't perform the illegal clearout and Wales had turned over the ball there probably would have been a penalty to Ireland, as it was pretty obvious he was in the way...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:47 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:32 pm Bring back rucking and ban hands in there, ban lifting in the lineout as well if we are talking player safety.
Exactly! :smt023
Agree. Can only play the ball with the feet when standing and bound - on the floor is out of the game. Keep protection for the 9
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Bring back rucking for player safety! - an oxymoron if ever i've heard one. The only reason lineouts are unsafe is because refs don't enforce the 1m channel rule, that space should not be occupied by either side until the ball is bought to ground. Another reason to start applying laws and not ignoring them.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wales have been doing it for a while now.
It's a bit sad because they used to be half decent at rugby but now their best chance is watching their opponents play some rugby. :smt003
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:53 pm

It's a bit sad because they used to be half decent at rugby but now their best chance is watching their opponents play some rugby. :smt003
I did enjoy Tips performance though,he is an outstanding player!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:57 pm
BFG wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:53 pm

I did enjoy Tips performance though,he is an outstanding player!
Yes he is a good player.
A shame the old guard are clinging on around him.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

DingDong wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:47 pm
Bring back rucking for player safety! - an oxymoron if ever i've heard one. The only reason lineouts are unsafe is because refs don't enforce the 1m channel rule, that space should not be occupied by either side until the ball is bought to ground. Another reason to start applying laws and not ignoring them.
Might as well do away with the lineout if you aren't allowed to compete. The reason people dislike scrums these days is because they are no longer a competition anymore, might as well do away with those and just have 13 blokes running around to create more space............oh hang on, someone's done that already.
No one laid around in a ruck long enough to have their safety compromised, you either got out or shot out
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:03 pm
Might as well do away with the lineout if you aren't allowed to compete. The reason people dislike scrums these days is because they are no longer a competition anymore, might as well do away with those and just have 13 blokes running around to create more space............oh hang on, someone's done that already.
No one laid around in a ruck long enough to have their safety compromised, you either got out or shot out
+1 :smt023 Exactly. You just never stayed there. Seal off at your peril!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Rucking wasn't dangerous - how many injuries actually occurred from normal rucking? I'm not sure I remember any (I'm sure there were a few though). It was only dangerous because of foul play which doesn't exist these days to anywhere near the same extent because of the TMO and a massive increase in footage available.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Forgive me, I only played a bit of schoolboy rugby and only watched a bit in the old days. When people talk about bringing back "rucking" I believe they mean players running their studs down the back/front of an opponent lying on the wrong side of the ruck. Is that correct?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:08 am Forgive me, I only played a bit of schoolboy rugby and only watched a bit in the old days. When people talk about bringing back "rucking" I believe they mean players running their studs down the back/front of an opponent lying on the wrong side of the ruck. Is that correct?
Correct, it had to be a "raking" motion (picture using your studs to roll the ball/player backwards, so foot front to back) to try and pull then out of the way not a downwards stamp. Therefore essentially trying to assist them in what they're "supposed" to be doing in rolling out of the way.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 am
ourla wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:08 am Forgive me, I only played a bit of schoolboy rugby and only watched a bit in the old days. When people talk about bringing back "rucking" I believe they mean players running their studs down the back/front of an opponent lying on the wrong side of the ruck. Is that correct?
Correct, it had to be a "raking" motion (picture using your studs to roll the ball/player backwards, so foot front to back) to try and pull then out of the way not a downwards stamp. Therefore essentially trying to assist them in what they're "supposed" to be doing in rolling out of the way.
Thanks. I guess that raking differentiates it from stamping which was always illegal?

Still, I fail to see how that doesn't result in injury, all be it mostly superficial such as scratching and bruising.

A moot point I feel as I can't see any circumstance it will be allowed again.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:34 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:25 am
Thanks. I guess that raking differentiates it from stamping which was always illegal?

Still, I fail to see how that doesn't result in injury, all be it mostly superficial such as scratching and bruising.

A moot point I feel as I can't see any circumstance it will be allowed again.
Yes, I even as a fullback used to have red lines on my back (and I only played a few years with rucking allowed), but proper rucking wasn't dangerous, taking hits was the dangerous thing.

Tbh in professional rugby where you can watch on via a TMO if it's a stamp etc it would be fine to reintroduce. Problem would be lower levels where there is no TMO stamps were quite common as a bloke standing up can often see the ref and judge if he can get away with a stamp, saw a player have to go off after a stamp to the kidneys once which was followed by a mass brawl.

That's why it won't get reintroduced as you can't allow it at professional level but ban it at lower levels.