Tigers vs Worcester - Sat 06 Feb 1500

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersunited

Re: Tigers vs Worcester - Sat 06 Feb 1500

Post by Tigersunited »

I remember where we have come from, which is 2 seasons of being 11th - I believe this is progress. It’s likely to take time to get to where we were 8 years ago. At this stage praise seems more valid than criticism.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 pm I remember where we have come from, which is 2 seasons of being 11th - I believe this is progress. It’s likely to take time to get to where we were 8 years ago. At this stage praise seems more valid than criticism.
Don't let that get in the way of the critics on here
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:40 pm I remember where we have come from, which is 2 seasons of being 11th - I believe this is progress. It’s likely to take time to get to where we were 8 years ago. At this stage praise seems more valid than criticism.
Agreed , but constructive comments should not be taken as criticism.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:39 pm Nice to see the faith in Henry rewarded
Absolutely superb from the tee, as for that pass to van Wyk in the lead up to one of the tries... brilliant! What a way to come back from last week's performance.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:07 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:26 pm Late Worcester tries were conceded when the game had been won, with such a good lead. Cannot criticise the defence really as had it been a tighter finish I would have backed them to regroup and hold full concentration.
Please don't forget 1 try came when they were down to 14 men, and 1 of their tries was a really good one, I dont think your excuse is totally valid.
Regarding other posters concerns, I posted that I though our front row was changed too early, I am increasing my doubts about Heyes. Please don.t say EJ picks him, I'm sure everyone saw how very poor England forwards and backs were today, their Box kicking game hugely reflects on Tigers, which thankfully we didn't use so often today. Players have to play for 80+ mins and not give away points like that. Otherwise I'm please we won with a 5-0 points and our 1st half forwards were great to watch.
Tigers were leading 34-10 when Leatigaga threw a pass that was intercepted to take it to 34-17. Another try was added by Wiese to make it 41-17.....Tigers were always in control of the game and achieved the highest objective fo getting the TBP win and denying Worcester a LBP......a positive day for Leicester Tigers captained by Wigglesworth :smt001
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Forwards absolutely brilliant today. Reading Joe Marlers and James Haskell very amusing autobiographies, they both say the old Tigers mentality was a massive influence on outsiders. Something we have lost, but SB is intent on reviving that never say die, kill them, mentality. But like England today, the backs fall short, although Henry is an ultra reliable kicking machine.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought Heyes did pretty well, as for the early substitution of the props this to me seems a Walters' tactic that the Boks used whilst he was their S&C coach.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Shame Lavanini is leaving because he put in a great performance, some absolutely brutal hits. Really hope he’s replaced with similar quality, Cobus Wiese maybe?

Van Wyk was quality, good under the high ball and always threatening ball in hand.

Best player for me was Montoya, if it meant Taufua leaving then I think it was the right choice. His all round game is up there with the best and someone you can build a pack around. Turnovers, lineout throwing, carrying and big hits all over the park.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yeah Van Wyk had a class game. Enjoyed the game immensely,just wish that Scott pass wasn’t forward,would’ve been a great try
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

Feels great to get a bonus point win. We're not particularly easy on the eye but I don't really mind at the moment. I'm fine with Borthwick starting with the fundamentals and I definitely see an identity now, something that we have lacked over the past few years.

As far the game today I thought Montoya, Wiese and Van Wyk were all excellent. Physically we were too much for Worcester and the only disappointment is that we gifted them some soft points when we knew the game was won. I was very nervous about today's game as Worcester have picked up points from Exeter and Sale recently, but we looked comfortable for most of the game.

It looks as though relegation is likely to be scrapped this season, but at the minute we don't look like a side that would be threatened by relegation even if it is to remain. I'm not going to get too carried away because our three wins have come at home against the teams currently occupying the bottom three spots, but it does feel like we're turning a corner!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Any news on Nadolo?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:40 pm Any news on Nadolo?
Someone asked him on Facebook and he said it's not too bad.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:40 pm Any news on Nadolo?
he's coming round yours to take your hamstrings in the hope of them making half of one for him ...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:51 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:49 pm All being said a very solid performance which gives plenty to work on moving forward.

One thing... HUGE bug bear of mine... second week in a row we’ve taken the Props off in the 43rd minute. Why? Why give them 3mins after a break. Surely just take them off at HT or give them time to make an impact. Can anyone add any logical reason behind it!?
100% agree, especially as it weakened our scrum
I’m guessing there’s a good reason behind the tactic. It might have weakened our scrum but it certainly didn’t hurt the rolling maul! We were winning 13-3 when the front row was changed. I’m not saying that’s the sole reason we went on to score 4 more tries but perhaps there’s good reason behind this tactic that we’ve opted for
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:49 pm All being said a very solid performance which gives plenty to work on moving forward.

One thing... HUGE bug bear of mine... second week in a row we’ve taken the Props off in the 43rd minute. Why? Why give them 3mins after a break. Surely just take them off at HT or give them time to make an impact. Can anyone add any logical reason behind it!?
One thought behind it could be to give the players some game time to increase match fitness....they are probably going to be needed and rotated in the coming weeks.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk