Tomas Lavanini signs for Clermont

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tomas Lavanini signs for Clermont

Post by loretta »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:47 am The Lavanini we've seen isn't as big a loss as the one we thought we were getting.
Agreed
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

:smt041
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:47 am The Lavanini we've seen isn't as big a loss as the one we thought we were getting.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Well, I didn't see that one coming. Who's going to be the next decent player out the door? Sounds like next season's champions will be the one with the best second class players.

Let's shut that door on prfessional rugby, and go back to the amateur game.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

We’ve lost 2 players this week lavinini obviously not until the season finishes but we have signed another top class player And there will be more I’m sure . We lost Veainu may Manu etc but you’d have to say we’ve improved since they left granted there has been a coaching change but we don’t know who Borthwick has lined up to come in . I for one am excited for the first time in years . Love Tomás but players move on and so will the tigers
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,if we were losing these players with GM in charge I’d be terrified but I feel at ease for some reason. Must be the Borths effect!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:01 pm
LE18 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:59 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:11 am Well that is a bit more of a blow than JT in my mind.

That said cutting our cloth accordingly to survive and meet the new cap may be vital.

I'd like to see Liebenberg given a chance a Lock at some point to understand if that's a possible avenue we can look at.
I really cannot see why posters want to move Liebenberg away from the back row, he doesn't need to be given a chance there, he is brilliant where he is, automatic choice, so why waste him in the 2nd row when we have the likes of Martin and Henderson to step up, plus Chessum?
It's not a desire to, just if we get say MVS but don't have the money for a replacement for Lavannini, in my mind if we get the opportunity to see how he performs at lock I think we should take it. Don't get me wrong he's a key part of our back row, but that doesn't mean that he can't cover other points and seeing how he performs there may give us an idea if we need to be looking elsewhere for locks.
I just would not select Liebenberg to start in the 2 nd row just to accommodate other star players in the back row, possibly move him there if an injury occurs during the game. There have been many coaches in the past in all sports who have selected all their stars, playing someone out of position, just to get them onto the pitch and it does not work, remember Manu on the wing?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hanro isn’t exactly out of position at lock though tbf. He’s not an 8 but look at his performances there.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

loretta wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:52 am
Agreed
I’m not so sure. Many were expecting an out of control animal that would be sin binned or banned more often than available.
We didn’t get that, we got a good player that he clearly worked on his game.

Language was a big problem early on iirc.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don’t believe he showed his best here ,my opinion of course
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

JT was a player who initially was reluctant to sign up to the 25% salary cut, but eventually did as a temporary expedient cos his hoped for French appointment didn’t come off. Now one has.

TL, for me, hasn’t lived up to expectations, also he arrived with virtually no English, and I’m not sure what level he’s achieved in his relatively short time here.

You can understand a return to France.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(