Jordan Taufua signs for Lyon OU with immediate effect

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Jordan Taufua signs for Lyon OU with immediate effect

Post by TigerMac3 »

I’m extremely late to the party here, but can I just add that if we were to bring in Marco Van Staden as JTs replacement, at a significantly reduced cost, then that would be an ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS piece of business.

MVS is probably the form backrower in SA at the min. And that’s saying something. Extremely physical, serious engine and an an out and out ‘fetcher’ / jackal. I’d be surprised though, a lot of noise about him returning to the Boks squad.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 pm I’m extremely late to the party here, but can I just add that if we were to bring in Marco Van Staden as JTs replacement, at a significantly reduced cost, then that would be an ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS piece of business.

MVS is probably the form backrower in SA at the min. And that’s saying something. Extremely physical, serious engine and an an out and out ‘fetcher’ / jackal. I’d be surprised though, a lot of noise about him returning to the Boks squad.
I watch A LOT of rugby and have no idea who this guy is?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

chipnchase wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:25 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:16 pm I’m extremely late to the party here, but can I just add that if we were to bring in Marco Van Staden as JTs replacement, at a significantly reduced cost, then that would be an ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS piece of business.

I watch A LOT of rugby and have no idea who this guy is?
https://youtu.be/H28aK8Z10CI
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Got to wonder that given Montoya has arrived earlier than planned, maybe if Van Staden is being lined up on less than Taufua, it’s about balancing the squad and keeping it on budget, especially if the comments about a nominal fee are true.
Liebenberg, Wiese, Brink and Van Staden would be a back row of serious firepower, especially adding the experience of Wallace, and then talented academy prospects like Reffell into the mix.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:44 pm Got to wonder that given Montoya has arrived earlier than planned, maybe if Van Staden is being lined up on less than Taufua, it’s about balancing the squad and keeping it on budget, especially if the comments about a nominal fee are true.
Liebenberg, Wiese, Brink and Van Staden would be a back row of serious firepower, especially adding the experience of Wallace, and then talented academy prospects like Reffell into the mix.
Spot on :smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

baz1664 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:44 pm Got to wonder that given Montoya has arrived earlier than planned, maybe if Van Staden is being lined up on less than Taufua, it’s about balancing the squad and keeping it on budget, especially if the comments about a nominal fee are true.
Spot on :smt023
Agreed. Looks an absolute machine! That highlights reel is pretty impressive, thanks TB. Fingers crossed he signs..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Was JT a marquee player, does this mean we have a free marquee slot?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Does anyone who’s seen the van Staden reports understand whether he will potentially join now, or next season? That’s the anomaly here, letting Taufua go early, are we going to go with what we have, or oook to bring someone in?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:04 am Does anyone who’s seen the van Staden reports understand whether he will potentially join now, or next season? That’s the anomaly here, letting Taufua go early, are we going to go with what we have, or oook to bring someone in?
Depends slightly on van Staden’s current contract. The Currie Cup final is this weekend, so if his contract runs out after that, then theoretically he could be signed from then. But the SA sides are supposed to be okay in gin the rainbow cup with the Pro14 teams running until June I believe, so if his contract runs til then, it’s likely for next season.

Of the reports from SA, it appears it would be for next season. We already have a reasonable depth in the back row who haven’t played in a while, and with Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese, Brink, Wallace, Coghlan, Lewis, Chessum, Martin, Smith all able to play there who have played under Borthwick I think we will likely be okay til the end of the season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Would make more sense if van Staden is coming for the 21/22 season rather than immediately in my opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Let's see if we get him first. Many a slip twix .......
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Isn’t MVS in line for a SA place? Do SA/Razzy pick from abroad?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:36 am Isn’t MVS in line for a SA place? Do SA/Razzy pick from abroad?
They do these days, so shouldn't be a problem for him. They changed the policy when Erasmus took over which is why they were suddenly able to win the RWC after a few years of being mediocre at best.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:11 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:36 am Isn’t MVS in line for a SA place? Do SA/Razzy pick from abroad?
They do these days, so shouldn't be a problem for him. They changed the policy when Erasmus took over which is why they were suddenly able to win the RWC after a few years of being mediocre at best.
Plus the fact he is a better than average coach & he had Aled.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

Sorry to raise this but why have we had no news from Tigers on his move?

I dont think I have missed anything, but it was my understanding that we were promised that any signing or leaving players would be announced internally before anywhere else.

Please correct me if I am wrong