Paolo Odogwu

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Paolo Odogwu

Post by johnthegriff »

Quite simply if you are in any job and not working hard the boss is likely to let you go to make room for someone who will put the effort in. Unfortunately there are insufficient A League and Premier Cup matches to give everybody the game time they need to develop, money is also a factor, paying a player for five years before he produces the goods is only going to mean that he blocks the progress of younger players who also need game time. Credit to Paolo that he has maintained or developed an enthusiasm for his chosen career whilst he has played for Sale RFC, been discarded by Sharks and seized his opportunity with Wasps.
Many Tiger's fans are intolerant of young players coming into the first team who are not an immediate success and voice their displeasure on various forms of social media increasing the pressure on young players who may suffer as a consequence.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:29 am Paolo Odogwu always impressed me in the few games he played for us and thoroughly deserves his call up. As a youngster with us he produced a couple of excellent turn overs and had the strength of Manu but also had(has) a side step off each foot!Hope he gets a chance to impress at the next level.
I’d also have thought Eddie ought to let players In the squad play next week end to get some match fitness as those, like our lads, who didn’t play in the last round of Premiership games will surely need some game time before entering the 6 Nations!!
Another one who got away from us :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:59 am
Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:29 am Paolo Odogwu always impressed me in the few games he played for us and thoroughly deserves his call up. As a youngster with us he produced a couple of excellent turn overs and had the strength of Manu but also had(has) a side step off each foot!Hope he gets a chance to impress at the next level.
I’d also have thought Eddie ought to let players In the squad play next week end to get some match fitness as those, like our lads, who didn’t play in the last round of Premiership games will surely need some game time before entering the 6 Nations!!
+1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TigerCam wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:59 am
+1 :smt023
Some of you are overblowing Odugwu's prowess (like Manu????) firstly don't ignore what has been said on here, that some players overestimate their talent, and secondly that some take a while to get themselves actually realising their talent having dropped the egoism.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Didn't we swap him for the other May, the one with grey hair? I think we were desperate for an experienced winger, but he didn't last long?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

A lot of hindsight going on here!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:34 pm A lot of hindsight going on here!
The best pro's are paid to avoid the need for that with their expertise in foresight!
The Cocker stalwarts will brand all who dared to stand up for themselves as big egos.
Odogwu got his chance at Wasps and has taken it, fair play to him.
He was not getting the chance here given the attitudes and connected names around at that time that ultimately led to Leicester twice finishing in 11th place.
Likewise Mauger and a few others also needed kicking for daring to hold an alternative opinion. :smt005
The connected will slowly be weeded out for high performance and then Leicester will start competing for titles again.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:34 pm A lot of hindsight going on here!
The best pro's are paid to avoid the need for that with their expertise in foresight!
The Cocker stalwarts will brand all who dared to stand up for themselves as big egos.
Odogwu got his chance at Wasps and has taken it, fair play to him.
He was not getting the chance here given the attitudes and connected names around at that time that ultimately led to Leicester twice finishing in 11th place.
Likewise Mauger and a few others also needed kicking for daring to hold an alternative opinion. :smt005
The connected will slowly be weeded out for high performance and then Leicester will start competing for titles again.
That's a pretty high horse you're sitting on, considering your derision of Odogwu's abilities in the past.

If we're being honest, none of us really expected him to get to where he is now, and that includes the majority of Premiership DoR's and scouts. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy story of the little guy getting trampled on by the connected bigwigs, it's just a story of a young man exceeding others' expectations and doing very well for himself.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I sense a failed trial or something along those lines in BFG past. The bitterness is oozing out of you,am I warm?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I see his point though.

Although Odogwu might not be the best of examples he played more games for Sale FC than Sharks after us.

It was certainly a big issue in our academy, just look at the difference now to around that time 4/5 years ago.

No surprise that once Wilks and Taylor came in things started to turn, and certain grassroots level coaches got replaced.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Easy to say though once he hits form elsewhere. I'm not one to research anyones historic posts but off the top of my head I don't remember anyone being devastated when he left!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think a few people was sad.
The thing was we never really got too see anything of him outside of that try v Argentina.

It’s like Browning could leave now and people wouldn’t be devastated purely because hardly anyone has seen much of him.

It is all in hindsight, but that try v Argentina was special and still one of the best solo tries I have seen even if it was a friendly it was still a 18/19 year old beating the back 3 of a international rugby World Cup squad. it’s generally something the club has learned from so it is what it is in my eyes
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:33 pm I think a few people was sad.
The thing was we never really got too see anything of him outside of that try v Argentina.

It’s like Browning could leave now and people wouldn’t be devastated purely because hardly anyone has seen much of him.

It is all in hindsight, but that try v Argentina was special and still one of the best solo tries I have seen even if it was a friendly it was still a 18/19 year old beating the back 3 of a international rugby World Cup squad. it’s generally something the club has learned from so it is what it is in my eyes
Ayerza's testimonial is the only time that I can recall seeing him play.
It is what it is, but branding a young man as being too big an ego as some have done is very unfair in all of the circumstances in my opinion.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:10 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:33 pm I think a few people was sad.

Ayerza's testimonial is the only time that I can recall seeing him play.
It is what it is, but branding a young man as being too big an ego as some have done is very unfair in all of the circumstances in my opinion.
He seems to hint at not being part of the clique which is not the first time that this has been banded about for other players seniors included
God created rugby so footballers have heros too