LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by kk20gb30 »

France will be the destination for many Premiership assets for the next/coming season.
Simply more cash available. Shame to lose Taufua but won't overly mourn the loss of anyone who does not want to be here.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

Depends what the like for like replacement cost would be.

I’m sure there are a few similar level of player that like Taufua isn’t quite international level.

One thing I think we have really benefitted from so far is having actual Back Row depth.
I think it’s telling the amount of quail it’s top teams have in there back row compared to others and also feel that our lack of it has been a reason for our decline.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

With Illione and Smith coming through the academy and the current crop of backrowers we may be best served spending the cap space elsewhere, 2nd row seems obvious but Martin looks like he could form a tidy partnership with Lavanini. Potentially on a backup prop in the mould of De Bruin?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I can see Lewis and Coghlan going with Taufua currently.

Would leave us with
6. Liebenberg, Martin/Chessum, Smith
7. Reffell, Wallace,
8. Wiese, Brink,

As senior back row with 2 of being originally Locks and still could be considered locks going forward.
Even when you account for Ilione, Kit Smith(Both have yet to play any senior rugby I think) and Lavin (Who I think hasn't yet fully recovered from injury.
That too me just feels like it could do with 1 more Back Rower of quality.

Also with Taufua off I'm slightly concerned about the number of players that can play 7.
We have seen how different we play with players that are actual 7's or near enough.
Wallace is a very smart signing, but he does have a track record with injuries in a very physical position.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

As a warning re 7's the Scarlets had 4 unavailable last night. Hanro did a job against Bath but he isn't a 7, neither is Brink.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mail on Sunday suggesting we're talking to Freddie Burns; Jordan Taufua may leave for Lyon before season-end; and Marco van Staden being considered as a replacement.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... Burns.html
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:50 am Mail on Sunday suggesting we're talking to Freddie Burns; Jordan Taufua may leave for Lyon before season-end; and Marco van Staden being considered as a replacement.
Marco van Staden would be a pretty ideal replacement for Taufua. Similar type of player who covers the back row but younger. I think van Staden had a nasty shoulder injury a couple of years ago but no issue there since. He had a layoff last year for concussion too but was back starting and playing 80 minutes for the Bulls after recovering. So a relatively good injury record for a very physical flanker with his experience.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I'm a bit bemused. With Bonilla and Henry backing up Ford, why would we want to bring Burns back? I very much enjoyed watching Freddie play for us but can't imagine him wanting to come back as a 2nd or 3rd string 10. He's too good a player for that. Even if we did lose both Bonilla and Henry, still seems a strange move to me.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Interesting that Daily Mail say Borthwick is having a clear out, starting with Taufua. Didn't we already have a clear out, or was that just the pre-clear out clear out? Maybe it's just the usual journalist hyperbole.

If Burns is back in the picture, maybe Ford is on his way?

All quite surprising, I'm sure there are lots more twists to come...
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

The Burns move would be odd. Bonilla to move on with Henry covering full back? Could work. Can’t imagine GF FB ZH and TB all remaining on the books.

Loved Burns when he was last here, he was treated pretty shockingly by the club, but can’t help think that this would be a bit of a backwards move.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Rugby Paper have Dan Cole re-signed.

Lots saying Freddie Burns wouldn’t come back as 2nd-3rd choice option. What better option would be out there for him? With Ford away a lot, he gets plenty of starting opportunity but have to assume Henry or Bonilla will go.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Zack Henry will be leaving apparently so Burns would come in as understudy alongside Bonilla to Ford
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Would be nice to see Freddie Burns return - a talented player who both gave everything and displayed genuine affection for The Club.Would surmise now that recruitment is more attributable to Steve Borthwick and there s certainly nothing wrong with a coach wanting his own personnel and players around him .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:50 am Mail on Sunday suggesting we're talking to Freddie Burns; Jordan Taufua may leave for Lyon before season-end; and Marco van Staden being considered as a replacement.
I think we have to take this with a healthy bit of salt. Certainly in recent times leaks from the club are a lot less. Before certain players left there was a good link where the Daily Mail had some information quickly and accurately.

Taufua is certainly considered someone that can earn more elsewhere so not really news, think the likes of Hardwick who can'tget a look in are higher up SB's clear out list. Burns coming back is probably a follow on from rumours about Henry being dissatisfied with Bonilla negotiations (which in itself seems to be a very thin rumour), whatever way I think information is a lot more sparse so there's a lot more 2+2=5 going on even where there are tidbits of information pulling them to complete stories.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Marco van Staden is a great player but I think 4 South Africans in the back-row is taking the mick quite frankly and is overkill. Spend the money where we need it, I don’t think we need a like for like replacement.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni