LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

IMO for the rugby championship there is a worry we might risk losing
Gigena
Montoya
Lavanini
Wiese
Moroni
Bonilla (if he is still here?)
Potentially Liebenberg but I don't think he will make it atm.

AI's would mean as above but also
Nadolo
Murimurivalu
Genge
Ford
Youngs
Mamu
Potentially Scott, Leatigaga and Steward also.

IF worst case scenario happens and all players above are picked we would be looking at a potentially a squad of
1. Bower, Whitcombe,
2. Youngs, Clare, Kerr, Vanes
3. Cole, Heyes, Dimen, Rowntree
4. Wells, Henderson, Manz
5. Green, Enever, Lewis
6. Taufua, Martin, Chessum,
7. Reffell, Wallace
8. Brink, Smith, Coghlan
9. Wigglesworth, JVP, White
10. Henry, McPhillips
11. Van Wyk, Simmons, Aspland-Robinson
12. Kelly, Hardwick
13. Taute, Porter
14. Potter, Williams, Browning
15. Worth, Olowofela
That's not taking into account potential

I guess you could rejig the backline to be something like
10. Henry, 11. Van Wyk, 12. Kelly, 13. Taute, 14. Porter, 15. Potter
Funny enough the back row still looks top notch but then if Taufua leaves it does lose quit a impact, realistically I don't see Liebenberg and Scott being pick anyway.

Loosehead and back 3 for me seems the obvious weak spots during the internationals, a hope might be someone like Browning will step up similar to Steward potentially on the wing.
Feels like we could do with trying to find another utility back somewhere potentially.
Even if you take in the U18's they will realistically still need a season or 2 at the very least.

Wasps seem to be pinching championship props in Hislop and Millar-Mills at LH and TH.
I do agree that hopefully we are giving Heffernan
Hopefully we are scouting the championship hard especially if ringfencing happens.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 pm Personally I would rather target a TH, I prefer Leatigaga at LH.
I can't really recall him struggling much in either position to be honest. I think the main driver will be the ability and availability of potential signings. If the better option appears at tighthead then switch it around.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:42 am IMO for the rugby championship there is a worry we might risk losing
Gigena
Montoya
Lavanini
Wiese
Moroni

Nadolo
Murimurivalu
Genge
Ford
Youngs
Mamu

IF worst case scenario happens and all players above are picked we would be looking at a potentially a squad of
1. Bower, Whitcombe,
2. Youngs, Clare, Kerr, Vanes
3. Cole, Heyes, Dimen, Rowntree
4. Wells, Henderson, Manz
5. Green, Enever, Lewis
6. Taufua, Martin, Chessum,
7. Reffell, Wallace
8. Brink, Smith, Coghlan
9. Wigglesworth, JVP, White
10. Henry, McPhillips
11. Van Wyk, Simmons, Aspland-Robinson
12. Kelly, Hardwick
13. Taute, Porter
14. Potter, Williams, Browning
15. Worth, Olowofela
That's not taking into account potential

I guess you could rejig the backline to be something like
10. Henry, 11. Van Wyk, 12. Kelly, 13. Taute, 14. Porter, 15. Potter
Funny enough the back row still looks top notch but then if Taufua leaves it does lose quit a impact, realistically I don't see Liebenberg and Scott being pick anyway.

Loosehead and back 3 for me seems the obvious weak spots during the internationals, a hope might be someone like Browning will step up similar to Steward potentially on the wing.
Feels like we could do with trying to find another utility back somewhere potentially.
Even if you take in the U18's they will realistically still need a season or 2 at the very least.

Wasps seem to be pinching championship props in Hislop and Millar-Mills at LH and TH.
I do agree that hopefully we are giving Heffernan
Hopefully we are scouting the championship hard especially if ringfencing happens.
It is a risk.

Personally I think Bonilla would need to make a big step up to make the squad (which is good news for us as means he's putting in those for us)

Wiese & Liebenberg are International standard players but with the likes of Vermulen, Kolisi, du Toit & Smith etc all ahead of them atm I think it highly unlikely both would get the call but we'll have to see.

Leatigaga & Scott both seem out of their respective countries thinking so those are quite unlikely to be needed.

A successful team is always likely to be worse hit by international breaks, the balance of our squad looks good, like you say.

I'm less concerned about the back 3, as with Van Wyk, Potter, Porter, Simmons & Williams we have some good players who SB seems to trust (though not seen Williams since GM left)

Prop, to my mind we need to replace De Bruin who is a player who can drop in both sides (even if TH is his primary position)

Also if Bower leaves think we'll look to make a step up when we replace him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:43 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 pm Personally I would rather target a TH, I prefer Leatigaga at LH.
I can't really recall him struggling much in either position to be honest. I think the main driver will be the ability and availability of potential signings. If the better option appears at tighthead then switch it around.
If highly considered 20-year old tighthead Filippo Alongi (one to watch) keeps developing for Treviso then Tiz Pasquali might find himself nudged down the pecking order. He's developed into a very solid tighthead who I'd welcome back to Tigers as a good squad option.

I'd agree with you that which side the signing is made is less important than bringing in a stronger 6th senior prop though. There is a big drop off from Genge, Gigena, Cole, Heyes and Leatigaga to Bower currently. Luan de Bruin has filled that space short term but ideally a long term signing is needed in such a key position.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:42 am IMO for the rugby championship there is a worry we might risk losing
Gigena
Montoya
Lavanini
Wiese
Moroni

Nadolo
Murimurivalu
Genge
Ford
Youngs
Mamu
I would be surprised if more than one or two of Scott, Liebenberg, Wiese, Bonilla, Gigena and Steward were called up.

Bonilla is 31 and has 4 caps, so he's far from a regular for the Pumas and is unlikely to be playing week in week out for Tigers so I'd be very surprised if he forced his way into the Argentina team.

How many times has Gigena been capped since his debut 4 years ago? Again, not someone who is usually around the Argentina team and would have a lot to do to get there.

Liebenberg and Wiese have so many players ahead of them it will be hugely impressive if they get into a Springboks squad this year.

When was the last time Scott played for Scotland? He's been solid for Tigers but he's well down the international pecking order IMO.

Steward is perhaps the most likely to, he seems to be the style of player that I think Jones would love to have at full back. This is the area we look very weak if Steward does get into the England squad, assuming Murimurivalu is to continue for Fiji.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Vermulen will most likely retire after this lions tour, it's hard to think of another SA 8 currently that has Wiese carrying impact.

I Don't really see how feasible it would be to replace De Bruin as a prop considering he's most likely on a cheap contract since it's just to hold him up too next season. Players of that ability that can play both side will be hard to find let alone one of that quality. Leatigaga really was a great find by Glynn.

Whilst I agree with Matt Scott, there is also the fact that Scotland are bare in the centres anyway so I do find it whilst still a slim one a chance he might get called up.

Gigena is clearly on the fringe of the squad given how often he get's mentioned or name checked, and with the Argentines now back to fully selecting players outside Argentina I really don't see it as much of a stretch, especially given the scrum hasn't been a strong point as it once was.

Bonilla was literally in the Argentina squad for this years rugby championship, if not for Visa/Covid problems he would have been with them.

Now I don't think they would all get picked but some of them are questions that Tigers IMO need to keep in mind.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:54 pm Vermulen will most likely retire after this lions tour, it's hard to think of another SA 8 currently that has Wiese carrying impact.

I Don't really see how feasible it would be to replace De Bruin as a prop considering he's most likely on a cheap contract since it's just to hold him up too next season. Players of that ability that can play both side will be hard to find let alone one of that quality. Leatigaga really was a great find by Glynn.

Whilst I agree with Matt Scott, there is also the fact that Scotland are bare in the centres anyway so I do find it whilst still a slim one a chance he might get called up.

Gigena is clearly on the fringe of the squad given how often he get's mentioned or name checked, and with the Argentines now back to fully selecting players outside Argentina I really don't see it as much of a stretch, especially given the scrum hasn't been a strong point as it once was.

Bonilla was literally in the Argentina squad for this years rugby championship, if not for Visa/Covid problems he would have been with them.

Now I don't think they would all get picked but some of them are questions that Tigers IMO need to keep in mind.
RB was it you who said Bower may be on his way end of this year (I lose track so apologies if I'm saying the wrong person)

With De Bruin & Bower going hopefully we should have the budget to replace them with a solid prop.

If Bower does stay then we are at risk, though I think whilst Gienga is getting namechecked a bit Leatigaga is a lot less likely to get back for Samoa. I also think Whitcombe can bridge the gap sooner rather than later, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get selected ahead of Bower on the bench during this International break if Gienga is still out.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I believe the announcement of Montoya's arrival is imminent.

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... 34952?s=20
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Confirmed

Multi year deal and rest of season
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

In current circumstances, can we justify having 5 front line hookers on the books?

Montoya
Youngs
Clare
Kerr
Mamukashvili

You'd think that, with Vanes coming through too, that at least one would have to be shifted off the books?

Excited by Montoya. Try scoring machine from the rolling maul!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 pm In current circumstances, can we justify having 5 front line hookers on the books?

Montoya
Youngs
Clare
Kerr
Mamukashvili

You'd think that, with Vanes coming through too, that at least one would have to be shifted off the books?

Perhaps Youngs could go back into the centres 😀
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:06 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:00 pm In current circumstances, can we justify having 5 front line hookers on the books?

Montoya
Youngs
Clare
Kerr
Mamukashvili

Montoya could definitely thrive in the back row a la Ken Owens doing a number on Tigers from 8. Given our back row options now that's just a bit of a laugh I should add...

Kerr is out of contract and will likely move up to Edinburgh I think. They need depth below McInally. There are a couple of former Tigers prospects there already in Grahamslaw and Muncaster.

Mamukashvili might have been a one year deal to tide us over to Montoya arriving as well. I really rate Mamu from watching him with Georgia as I follow lower tier international rugby a fair bit. He hasn't had much of a look in at Tigers though. I'd touted him as a potential signing a few times when we were struggling at hooker, was excited when he signed so hopefully he gets some minutes to impress whilst here.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Montoya
Youngs
Clare
Kerr
Mamukashvili

Before he retires he should play a bit there to bookend his career.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:53 pm

Montoya
Youngs
Clare
Kerr
Mamukashvili

Before he retires he should play a bit there to bookend his career.
:smt022 :smt120
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Been thinking about the potential options if Taufua leaves for France which does seem to be a serious possibility, would we like the cap space spent on a direct replacement backrower (somebody like Mata) or elsewhere in the squad, 2nd row maybe?