Ealing beat Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ealing beat Saracens

Post by Crofty »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 pm Player welfare seems a long way down the list for elite players with. Regular season, then play-offs, European competition, 6 Nations, Summer tour, Autumn Internationals and, every two years, either a World Cup or a Lions tour. Fifty week a year job nowadays
So maybe expansion of the league to 14 or 16 and splitting into a two conference structure is the answer. Expanded play offs to sort out top and bottom. You'd maybe have to have regular mix ups or some sort of cross conference game rotation to allow everyone to play everyone else with some form of regularity but I'm sure it could be done in a way that gets the number of games down. Use that to partially or even fully shut down the league during the internationals?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

More teams equals more matches equals potentially more revenue for clubs. If something needs to be done for player welfare, it won't be reducing the number of matches and therefore reducing potential revenue, it will be restricting the number of matches a player can feature in - which is already in place for England squad members.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:13 pm More teams equals more matches equals potentially more revenue for clubs. If something needs to be done for player welfare, it won't be reducing the number of matches and therefore reducing potential revenue, it will be restricting the number of matches a player can feature in - which is already in place for England squad members.
Not necessarily more matches as the Premiership Cup could be dropped or games reduced.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:25 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:13 pm More teams equals more matches equals potentially more revenue for clubs. If something needs to be done for player welfare, it won't be reducing the number of matches and therefore reducing potential revenue, it will be restricting the number of matches a player can feature in - which is already in place for England squad members.
Not necessarily more matches as the Premiership Cup could be dropped or games reduced.
How much difference would that make when the PC is already virtually a development competition with very few first team players appearing in it?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:30 pm
How much difference would that make when the PC is already virtually a development competition with very few first team players appearing in it?
Well that depends on the team.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:30 pm
Well that depends on the team.
the premiership cup needs to be made into an under 23 competition if it is to continue as too many teams do not use it properly as a development competition. Restricting the number of senior players will give coaches the chance to see how well the younger players perform in a genuine match situation
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The Premiership Cup started as the EDF Cup and was a route into the European Cup. That is not the case now so if the Premiership Cup remains it is still a piece of Silverware for the club.
If you want to have restrictions on age, set up a age competition or organise it for the academy or development squads.
The Premiership Cup is there to provide games / revenue for the Clubs during the international period and give players game time / rest where needed. There should not be any restriction on who can play as this is billed as a First Team competition and many season ticket holders may feel short changed if they are going to be watching 2-3 home matches where the players are realtively unknown. The diehards will enjoy any rugby.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would prefer a proper A League myself.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I would rather 14 and no conferences but are Ealing really geared up for it?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:27 pm I would prefer a proper A League myself.
The main issue around this is that not all Clubs can field sides in the fixtures as there squads are smaller and financially not in a position.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

PRC under 23 with a maximum of 3 seniors in the 23 sounds good to me. Gives Injured players a route back to get match fitness.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:19 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:27 pm I would prefer a proper A League myself.
The main issue around this is that not all Clubs can field sides in the fixtures as there squads are smaller and financially not in a position.
I think with some collusion between teams in relation to ages & experience, it would be a sensible & maybe money making exercise, get the PRO 14 squads involved? Fix the league so if your First Team is away, the A team play at home on the Monday night, kick off at a time to attract fans, Pie & a Pint Deals..
It's either this or smaller squads & the championship being even more of a reserve league.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:18 pm PRC under 23 with a maximum of 3 seniors in the 23 sounds good to me. Gives Injured players a route back to get match fitness.
I have to agree with Scott1 the PRC should be separate from the first team squads and used for academy, development of the young players and the strict rule of a max of 3 senior players returning from injuries.we have unfortunately lost as well those Monday night A team fixtures in the Crumbie, yes where the pint and a pie or fish & chips we the order of the day after work. Happy memories of the time we filled the Crumbie and the Alliance & Leicester stand too.
The PRC was used by Sale, Worcester and others to win a trophy using their first team whilst their academy twiddled their thumbs or cleaned the first team boots afterwards. Oh to return to Crumbie! :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Or make the PRC a full blown cup competition fielding any team you like. The winner plays the top of the table team for a super cup type thing and scrap the playoffs.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:39 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:18 pm PRC under 23 with a maximum of 3 seniors in the 23 sounds good to me. Gives Injured players a route back to get match fitness.
I have to agree with Scott1 the PRC should be separate from the first team squads and used for academy, development of the young players and the strict rule of a max of 3 senior players returning from injuries.we have unfortunately lost as well those Monday night A team fixtures in the Crumbie, yes where the pint and a pie or fish & chips we the order of the day after work. Happy memories of the time we filled the Crumbie and the Alliance & Leicester stand too.
The PRC was used by Sale, Worcester and others to win a trophy using their first team whilst their academy twiddled their thumbs or cleaned the first team boots afterwards. Oh to return to Crumbie! :smt023
There used to be a place off Walnut Street that had half price pizzas on Monday nights. The giant ones had to go sideways through the turnstiles.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game