LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by MurphysLaw »

Montoya will be a good addition to the squad imo.
Does anyone know if he has a 'non-overseas player' qualification?
Thinking of the PRL overseas player rule, he joins what is now quite a list of potential 'overseas players'.
This, you would assume, is considered carefully before signings are made, and presumably it fell to McGinity when he was around. Might this be a factor in deciding who stays and who leaves ?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:59 pm 1.Leatigaga 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Wells 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Wigglesworth 10.Henry 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Moroni 14.van Wyk 15.Steward

16.Montoya 17.de Bruin 18.Heyes 19.Martin 20.Taufua 21.JvP 22.Bonilla 23.Murimurivalu

Tasty potential squad for the Sale game. With Marler back fit and on form there's a reasonable chance that Genge will be released for game time as well.

The options and depth during the Six Nations window should be incomparable to recent seasons.
It certainly is and don’t forget Gigena. Personally I would probably start him with Leatigaga on the bench instead of Heyes
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 am
ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:59 pm 1.Leatigaga 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Wells 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Wigglesworth 10.Henry 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Moroni 14.van Wyk 15.Steward

16.Montoya 17.de Bruin 18.Heyes 19.Martin 20.Taufua 21.JvP 22.Bonilla 23.Murimurivalu

Tasty potential squad for the Sale game. With Marler back fit and on form there's a reasonable chance that Genge will be released for game time as well.

The options and depth during the Six Nations window should be incomparable to recent seasons.
It certainly is and don’t forget Gigena. Personally I would probably start him with Leatigaga on the bench instead of Heyes
Is Gigena back in training yet? It was a nasty head collision that sidelined him, presumably a broken cheekbone given he's been out since round 1.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Are we sure this is TY last season? I’ve heard he’s retiring next season 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:33 am Are we sure this is TY last season? I’ve heard he’s retiring next season 🤔
There was rumours that he was retiring next year, but most of those stemmed from the fact Montoya was coming and 5 senior Hookers is excessive. However if some of them (Kerr and Mamukashvili) are possibly off, I expect him to stay on. His resurgence under Borthwick has been significant and that I think means he's likely to play on.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Irrespective of who goes and stays , the quality of Montoya signing cannot be underestimated.
Based on age and potential would hope personally to retain Kerr.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Fantastic signing. Most importantly, it strengthens the first XV.

It's a little strange that we're budgeting for 5 x front-line hookers in such tough financial times. That needs sorting.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

MurphysLaw wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:38 pm Montoya will be a good addition to the squad imo.
Does anyone know if he has a 'non-overseas player' qualification?
Thinking of the PRL overseas player rule, he joins what is now quite a list of potential 'overseas players'.
This, you would assume, is considered carefully before signings are made, and presumably it fell to McGinity when he was around. Might this be a factor in deciding who stays and who leaves ?
With Brexit, I wouldn’t imagine Kolpak to be relevant anymore, so the calculations around overseas players will now be quite different. I expect a review of the policy will be underway, so basically it’s going to be different, you have to plan for it, but as far as the details are concerned, we don’t know!

Sound familiar?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Wow Montoya coming now is great, but i'd be sad to see Kerr go as I thought he was our future 1st choice hooker.
Mamu hasn't really done anything, I was initially excited to see him play but if he's not in SB's plans I'd rather him go and keep faith in Kerr for a bit longer. Unless he wants to go for 1st team and possible international chances.

Montoya will be our starting hooker soon though. This season is gonna get better and better I reckon.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Visa issues around his family are apparently the reason he couldn't go to Australia which is why he has come to Tigers early.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Given Montoya signing is all over the news and even on BBC who tend to be slow movers on announcing these things, strange that nothing from Tigers yet.

Anyone have ideas why? Is this maybe not fully confirmed yet?
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

SthrnTiger wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:38 am Given Montoya signing is all over the news and even on BBC who tend to be slow movers on announcing these things, strange that nothing from Tigers yet.

Some things never change. And it could be an extension of SB's "keep everyone in the dark" about the squad (mainly injuries so far admittedly) :smt002 :smt003
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

SthrnTiger wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:38 am Given Montoya signing is all over the news and even on BBC who tend to be slow movers on announcing these things, strange that nothing from Tigers yet.

Not at all strange.
Could be for a lot of reasons.

One thing a lot of clubs like to do is hold of on a incoming till an outgoing is confirmed for example.
Or maybe others might be announced with him
Or maybe they just want to make a thing of it
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:52 am

Not at all strange.
Could be for a lot of reasons.

One thing a lot of clubs like to do is hold of on a incoming till an outgoing is confirmed for example.
Or maybe others might be announced with him
Or maybe they just want to make a thing of it
Could be something as simple as us wanting to get some shots of him at the stadium in the club kit for the announcement. Covid might make that more of a pain than it would be normally. If he's only just come out of his quarantine period then there might be a lot of other things to sort first.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Or he isn't actually going to play for us this season maybe?
To win is not as important as playing with style!