Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:45 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:43 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:31 pm I reckon Earl will go back and Malins will stay.

Pat Sanderson going to Sale might make things interesting though.
Slight concern for some clubs might be what players Saracens will target once they come back up.
Is it Alex Sanderson or Pat? The article on Ruck looks like Alex, not Pat, albeit the text states it’s Pat. The story then states he’s a coach at Sarries, which again suggests it should be Alex.
Alex I mean.
Is Pat even involved in rugby stuff anymore? I know he used to work with sky when they had the rugby.
Pat had moved into financial sector and was doing well down in London last I heard, which was at a Sixways visit last year.

He was a good player Pat but the harsh dropping by Brian Ashton means his international career will probably be remembered due to him being the most obscure England skipper of the pro era.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:25 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:45 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:43 pm

Is it Alex Sanderson or Pat? The article on Ruck looks like Alex, not Pat, albeit the text states it’s Pat. The story then states he’s a coach at Sarries, which again suggests it should be Alex.
Alex I mean.
Is Pat even involved in rugby stuff anymore? I know he used to work with sky when they had the rugby.
Pat had moved into financial sector and was doing well down in London last I heard, which was at a Sixways visit last year.

He was a good player Pat but the harsh dropping by Brian Ashton means his international career will probably be remembered due to him being the most obscure England skipper of the pro era.
Thing is Ruck barely knows anything about the players involved, just be glad they got the surname right.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:02 pm Gabriel Ibitoye, who joined Top14 side Agen from Harlequins last year may be on his way to Montpellier with immediate effect. According to an Agen spokesman, he’s not fully committed himself to Agen(played 14/lost 14 is hardly encouraging for a new player to the club) and is apparently an injury replacement for Montpellier’s Handre Pollard.
Also, a move back to these shores could also be possible :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/rumour-gabriel-i ... nce-again/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:02 pm Gabriel Ibitoye, who joined Top14 side Agen from Harlequins last year may be on his way to Montpellier with immediate effect. According to an Agen spokesman, he’s not fully committed himself to Agen(played 14/lost 14 is hardly encouraging for a new player to the club) and is apparently an injury replacement for Montpellier’s Handre Pollard.
He was an idiot to move to Agen!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:38 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:57 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Wales tend to have a glut of good flankers to choose from. Tight five is where they struggle. Well be ok with Reffell I think, Joe Heyes could be an issue if he doesn't get that first England cap soon.
Heyes is in Jones' thoughts and has improved quite a bit since going to that England camp. Will Stuart struggled against his ex-teammates and Harry Williams doesn't seem to be in the picture anymore so there could be an opportunity for him soon.
Williams was in Jones thoughts as well (playing Vs the Baabaas pre illness) but he's playing 12 for Wales now.

Heyes links to Wales are more tenuous which helps us but the longer the period between training involvement and his cap the more Wales will be keen to tempt him into a red shirt.
You seem to have confused Harry Williams with Johnny Williams, who whilst is a very good player he played for an England XV coached by Jim Mallinder, not Eddie Jones and out of all the players selected that day only Joe Marchant & Tom Dunn have gone on to win England caps since, with Obano and Dombrandt on the fringes of the England squad J. Williams but also Calum Sheedy are now Welsh internationals.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Duncan Weir confirmed by Glasgow on a ‘long term deal’
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think Heyes is still some way off getting capped by England. It's great that Eddie wanted to have a look at him in training, but there are too many in line ahead of him unless he really ups his performances - he is not yet first XV for Tigers, let alone England. I know some players feature for international teams before they are first choice for their clubs, but that is when they offer something completely different and Heyes does not fall into that category.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:47 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:57 pm
Heyes is in Jones' thoughts and has improved quite a bit since going to that England camp. Will Stuart struggled against his ex-teammates and Harry Williams doesn't seem to be in the picture anymore so there could be an opportunity for him soon.
Williams was in Jones thoughts as well (playing Vs the Baabaas pre illness) but he's playing 12 for Wales now.

Heyes links to Wales are more tenuous which helps us but the longer the period between training involvement and his cap the more Wales will be keen to tempt him into a red shirt.
You seem to have confused Harry Williams with Johnny Williams, who whilst is a very good player he played for an England XV coached by Jim Mallinder, not Eddie Jones and out of all the players selected that day only Joe Marchant & Tom Dunn have gone on to win England caps since, with Obano and Dombrandt on the fringes of the England squad J. Williams but also Calum Sheedy are now Welsh internationals.
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/e ... eams/91733

Nope not confused. I meant Johnny Williams and had forgotten that Eddie let Mallinder take the reigns for that game. However, much he distanced himself from the side there's no way Eddie didn't have a say in who was selected.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Rumour only : Marler to quit 'Quins :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/list-five-senior ... ock-exits/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Nope not confused. I meant Johnny Williams and had forgotten that Eddie let Mallinder take the reigns for that game. However, much he distanced himself from the side there's no way Eddie didn't have a say in who was selected.
I don't think he had a say potentially. Again I point out to how few of the players selected that day have been in an EPS since, let alone capped. Could he have had some other kind of involvement that wasn't selection, possibly? Similarly, he could have seen the squad and given Mallinder the nudge to field Marchant for example who got his first cap against Wales a few weeks later on the 11th of August.

Whatever the case, I felt that Jones' involvement that day and in the build up was very minimal.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:42 am
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:41 pm

I don't think he had a say potentially. Again I point out to how few of the players selected that day have been in an EPS since, let alone capped. Could he have had some other kind of involvement that wasn't selection, possibly? Similarly, he could have seen the squad and given Mallinder the nudge to field Marchant for example who got his first cap against Wales a few weeks later on the 11th of August.

Whatever the case, I felt that Jones' involvement that day and in the build up was very minimal.
Yep one of the most detail orientated coaches we've had, certainly the most detail orientated since Sir Clive definitely took no notice of the game. He had bigger fish to fry and so wasn't there preparing them but I'd put money on him having someone either observing or recording the training sessions and a hand if not personally selecting the squad. It was a very young squad so he was probably looking less at the world cup and more at the period after. Entirely in keeping with his previous to look at young props (Heyes in the training squad along with Obano before the AIs).

I think Johnny Williams would have been considered alongside or possibly instead of Lawrence had he remained in the UK for the AIs this season. Eddie was looking for another option to straighten the line in attack.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Odogwu qualifies to play for Italy? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Jamie Ritchie re signs for Edinburgh :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55655506
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:36 pm Odogwu qualifies to play for Italy? 🤔
Are you surprised?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »