LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:35 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:28 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:17 pm i may be completely wrong here, it’s been known (!), but could there be a language barrier with Bonilla, and he’s playing catch up ? And I guess his family have to settle in as well. 10 has to be vocal and communicate and it could take a while. I expect him to get better every time he takes to the field. I think Lavanini may have had a similar problem but he’s clearly up to speed now.
Does the language barrier issues explain why he doesn't seem to understand the need to kick the penalty to touch?

He's obviously better than he's shown so far. I'm sure I heard something that he was working with Wigglesworth in assisting Smith with the attacking game plan so he must have a good rugby brain.
The guy had barely played rugby in 9 months and was a little rusty. That combined with a desire to squeeze every last inch to impress his new club probably contributed.

He's got the likes of Moroni around him who speaks his native language, think he has chance to prove why he's a tier 1 internationally capped player.
As I said you don't let just any senior player have a say in your attacking structure. Too many cooks and all that. Bonilla clearly has a rugby brain and a good skillset. Not quite brought it to the table yet but there's plenty more season to go and Ford is likely to play in the 6N or whatever tournament is on in its place. Bonilla will have another chance.

Henry has played quite a bit of rugby and it's a step up from League 2 in France to the Premiership. I can't see us signing him to a one year deal because we've got to be looking to develop him and secondly because you need consistency in the squad. Henry is an exciting player is not doubt learning all about the difference between League 2 when you get more chances and Prem where you get less and need to be more clinical.

It's the strongest depth at flyhalf for years. I hope we maintain it for at least next season as well. Three seasons I think we'd be lucky as one of Bonilla or Henry might be tempted away after that but keep them together for as long as we can because competition is good for the team and for player development.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by DingDong »

Assuming that Bonilla is that good, then what was Murphy's logic signing him as apparently he's also likely to be away on international duty? Henry won't be and would be a decent back up as Harrison was for YBY mixed with the homegrown youngsters. Further weakens the continuity in a key position IMO.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

DingDong wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm Assuming that Bonilla is that good, then what was Murphy's logic signing him as apparently he's also likely to be away on international duty? Henry won't be and would be a decent back up as Harrison was for YBY mixed with the homegrown youngsters. Further weakens the continuity in a key position IMO.
Biggest (usual) issue with international call ups is the 6 Nations as England players usually miss the weekend before for training camp, 5 weekends for games and 2 more weekends for rest. That's 8 games missed for the 6 Nations.

If Bonilla is involved in the Rugby Championship and Autumn Internationals he would miss the start of the season but be available for February and March whilst Ford is away.

IMO we need 3 strong fly-halves with Ford near enough guaranteed to be in England's plans. I'd hope to keep both Henry and Bonilla. If either left we'd either need another senior 10 or a very talented development option in the mould of Costelow or George Barton.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:29 pm
DingDong wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm Assuming that Bonilla is that good, then what was Murphy's logic signing him as apparently he's also likely to be away on international duty? Henry won't be and would be a decent back up as Harrison was for YBY mixed with the homegrown youngsters. Further weakens the continuity in a key position IMO.
Biggest (usual) issue with international call ups is the 6 Nations as England players usually miss the weekend before for training camp, 5 weekends for games and 2 more weekends for rest. That's 8 games missed for the 6 Nations.

If Bonilla is involved in the Rugby Championship and Autumn Internationals he would miss the start of the season but be available for February and March whilst Ford is away.

IMO we need 3 strong fly-halves with Ford near enough guaranteed to be in England's plans. I'd hope to keep both Henry and Bonilla. If either left we'd either need another senior 10 or a very talented development option in the mould of Costelow or George Barton.
:smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So 16 games (Well 16 games that got played).
Wonder how people feel about the recruitment etc so far, granted some arrived later or injured so will affect things etc but bored and interested.

Lined it up like
Guy Thompson -----------> Cyle Brink
Jonny May -------> Nemani Nadolo
Jonah Holmes ---------> Kobus Van Wyk
Sione Kalamafoni --------> Jasper Wiese
Tatafu Polota-Nau -----> Shalva Mamukashvili
Will Spencer -----------> Blake Enever
Adam Thompstone --------> Harry Potter
Ew Viljeon ---------> Guy Porter
Joe Thomas ----------> Dan Kelly
Greg Bateman -----------> Ryan Bower
Manu Tuilagi ---------> Matias Moroni
Telusa Veainu -------> Kini Murimurivalu
Noel Reid ----> Zack Henry
Kyle Eastmond ------> Matt Scott
Cameron Jordan ---> Cameron Henderson

Other IN's
Luke Wallace (Coventry)
Joaquin Diaz Bonilla (Jaguares)
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
Ollie Chessum

Other Out's
Gaston Cortes
Owen Hills
Jimmy Stevens
Keston Lines
Sam Eveleigh
Sam Costelow
Kyran Bungaroo
Harry Glynn

Personally of the leavers the two I wish I could've seen with Borthwick in charge are Will Spencer and TPN. From the cap view Mamu for TPN made a lot of sense and most likely freed up space to sign a couple others and Will Spencer hasn't played since getting subbed v Falcons at the start of season.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Guy Thompson -----------> Cyle Brink - to early to say
Jonny May -------> Nemani Nadolo - like for like
Jonah Holmes ---------> Kobus Van Wyk - to early to say
Sione Kalamafoni --------> Jasper Wiese - improvement
Tatafu Polota-Nau -----> Shalva Mamukashvili - to early to say
Will Spencer -----------> Blake Enever - downgrade
Adam Thompstone --------> Harry Potter - like for like
Ew Viljeon ---------> Guy Porter - improvement
Joe Thomas ----------> Dan Kelly - improvement
Greg Bateman -----------> Ryan Bower - downgrade but its clear cap space has been allocated elsewhere
Manu Tuilagi ---------> Matias Moroni - to early to say
Telusa Veainu -------> Kini Murimurivalu - like for like
Noel Reid ----> Zack Henry - improvement
Kyle Eastmond ------> Matt Scott - improvement
Cameron Jordan ---> Cameron Henderson - improvement

On the whole I think our recruitment in the last 6-12 months has been a vast improvement, Brink, Van Wyk, Shalva and Moroni haven't really had much of a chance to show exactly how good they are/can be yet so its early to call but I feel like they could all be improvements eventually. Of the leavers the only ones who we are really missing are Holmes, Spencer, Bateman and arguably Tuilagi and Veainu
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:34 am Guy Thompson -----------> Cyle Brink - to early to say
Jonny May -------> Nemani Nadolo - like for like
Jonah Holmes ---------> Kobus Van Wyk - to early to say
Sione Kalamafoni --------> Jasper Wiese - improvement
Tatafu Polota-Nau -----> Shalva Mamukashvili - to early to say
Will Spencer -----------> Blake Enever - downgrade
Adam Thompstone --------> Harry Potter - like for like
Ew Viljeon ---------> Guy Porter - improvement
Joe Thomas ----------> Dan Kelly - improvement
Greg Bateman -----------> Ryan Bower - downgrade but its clear cap space has been allocated elsewhere
Manu Tuilagi ---------> Matias Moroni - to early to say
Telusa Veainu -------> Kini Murimurivalu - like for like
Noel Reid ----> Zack Henry - improvement
Kyle Eastmond ------> Matt Scott - improvement
Cameron Jordan ---> Cameron Henderson - improvement

On the whole I think our recruitment in the last 6-12 months has been a vast improvement, Brink, Van Wyk, Shalva and Moroni haven't really had much of a chance to show exactly how good they are/can be yet so its early to call but I feel like they could all be improvements eventually. Of the leavers the only ones who we are really missing are Holmes, Spencer, Bateman and arguably Tuilagi and Veainu
The only questionable signings in my opinion have been Shalva , Bower and Enever .
A2O
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

How many games have these lads played yet? Bower is a young lad at the beginning of a career for a prop, Bateman was at his peak until he spat the dummy and left to try and find more money. These players come here to put the shirt on and put their bodies on the line for our entertainment, you might at least give them a chance to improve and show us what they can do.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:14 am How many games have these lads played yet? Bower is a young lad at the beginning of a career for a prop, Bateman was at his peak until he spat the dummy and left to try and find more money. These players come here to put the shirt on and put their bodies on the line for our entertainment, you might at least give them a chance to improve and show us what they can do.
Ryan Bower is 29, I'm not saying he is a terrible player just not as good as Bateman was. I actually like his signing as he is an experienced prem player and a local lad (he was at JCC in Hinckley when I was there albeit a couple years bellow him) and he won't break the bank especially in comparison to Bateman
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I'll only consider Wiese an improvement on Kalamafoni if Wiese puts in consistently good performances every single game.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:31 am I'll only consider Wiese an improvement on Kalamafoni if Wiese puts in consistently good performances every single game.
Wiese has already shown in the few games that he has played that he is a massive improvement on Kalamafoni in almost every aspect of performance all in my opinion of course.
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

For those who haven't been watching the Scarlets Kalamafoni is playing fantastically, in a balanced back row, Weisse is a very different sort of No.8.
My view is the squad is better balanced, the big question is have we got rid of all the bad apples/energy vampires?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Jonah Holmes the big one for me. Loved what he brought to the team, real electric pace. Potter is quick and a work in progress, Van Wyk you feel is pretty savy and streetwise (ignoring the 'slap' Vs Irish) and brings a physicality, but don't see him skinning his opposite number on the outside! Would of liked to have seen Browning given a go.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 am Jonah Holmes the big one for me. Loved what he brought to the team, real electric pace. Potter is quick and a work in progress, Van Wyk you feel is pretty savy and streetwise (ignoring the 'slap' Vs Irish) and brings a physicality, but don't see him skinning his opposite number on the outside! Would of liked to have seen Browning given a go.
Agree that Holmes really had that X factor. The big plus for me is that we have more players that are available for most of the season and a better strength in depth
A2O
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Enever is an odd one. Don't believe that SB could have signed off on that one given the lack of playing time we've seen from him. Maybe a contributing factor in GM and JM leaving. It was said in the media at the time that SB had been involved in the 'rebuild' contract wise but can't see it in this instance. Lavanini, Green, Wells, Henderson, Martin, Chessum (?), all ahead of him in the pecking order, just hope that hes not holding down too much of the cap.