Tigers v Bayonne - European games suspended

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bayonne - European games suspended

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There is also a possibility that not playing Premiership games the next two weeks could come back to bite the backside of PRL.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Sensible regarding the European games, but not doing anything for 2 weeks is madness. There’s a clear opportunity to play the next two rounds of Premiership rugby, with all international players available. Where are the gaps in the calendar to pick up Europe again ? Nowhere, they may as well cancel the competition, and the Lions.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bayonne

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:56 pm
Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm Indeed. 6 Nations will soon follow. I can't see the French being willing to participate given the infection levels. With the vaccination programme not anticipated to be complete until the autumn continuing at a level of acceptable risk seems miles away.

We'll be back to watching recordings before long. You thought 2020 was bad? 2021 thus far is not much better.
Autumn? Has just been said 15m will be vaccinated by end of February. If that’s the case that will be the vulnerable groups more than taken care of and restrictions should be lifted!
Wow does that mean we old and decrepit fans who sit in the Crumbie under our car blankets and drink our hot bovril, who dont make any noise, we will be able to see live rugby, whilst you youngsters have to sit at home and watch us on telly enjoying ourselves?
I will have to put in a request to Rock Bottom, no more I will walk 500 miles or I got soul, All the things I have done etc more Gracie Fields or Vera Lynn :smt035 :smt035 :smt038 :smt038
Tbh as a guy in his early 30's I'm more than happy for the club to get any support in to get behind the guys even if it doesn't include me...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

SthrnTiger wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:54 pm
chipnchase wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:47 pm Prem rugby have confirmed there will be a two week break to allow players a ‘test’.

They haven’t got the balls or brains to do anything creative and all they’re doing is piling the fixture list up come May/ June.
“the players need some well earned rest” = we at prem rugby can’t be arsed to rearrange the fixtures.

Tigers will have played 1 game in 5 weeks I’m making assumptions here but I imagine the last thing they want is 2 weeks off now and then a ridiculously cramped schedule come May/June.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/p ... week-break
Yeah 1 game in 5 weeks is not ideal.

However some clubs may be in a situation where they've played all games so far and could do with a break

This is why I think they could allow for the previously cancelled fixtures to be played here. It gives the teams who haven't been playing as much rugby but gives a break to those who have had a lot of rugby.

It also keeps BT happy as gives them live games to show.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

My suggested fixture list for the next two weeks would be:

This weekend
Irish vs Saints
Newcastle vs Tigers
Worcester vs Quins

Following weekend
Bath vs Irish
Tigers vs Saints

Ok so points have already been assigned, but seriously how many clubs would prefer the chance to settle things on the pitch?

Gives teams lacking in gametime some gametime and time off to others who aren't lacking.

Helps pay BT back revenue for games they missed out on.

Means the table will become more representative.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:05 am My suggested fixture list for the next two weeks would be:

This weekend
Irish vs Saints
Newcastle vs Tigers
Worcester vs Quins

Following weekend
Bath vs Irish
Tigers vs Saints

Ok so points have already been assigned, but seriously how many clubs would prefer the chance to settle things on the pitch?

Gives teams lacking in gametime some gametime and time off to others who aren't lacking.

Helps pay BT back revenue for games they missed out on.

Means the table will become more representative.
Even as friendlies would be good.

Tigers and Irish in particular probably need matches more than rest.

The big problem they have now is exactly the same as last year. Too many matches with too little time.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Meanwhile over the channel the French clubs are playing two weeks of Top14 games!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bayonne

Post by JP14 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:56 pm
Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm Indeed. 6 Nations will soon follow. I can't see the French being willing to participate given the infection levels. With the vaccination programme not anticipated to be complete until the autumn continuing at a level of acceptable risk seems miles away.

We'll be back to watching recordings before long. You thought 2020 was bad? 2021 thus far is not much better.
Autumn? Has just been said 15m will be vaccinated by end of February. If that’s the case that will be the vulnerable groups more than taken care of and restrictions should be lifted!
Wow does that mean we old and decrepit fans who sit in the Crumbie under our car blankets and drink our hot bovril, who dont make any noise, we will be able to see live rugby, whilst you youngsters have to sit at home and watch us on telly enjoying ourselves?
I will have to put in a request to Rock Bottom, no more I will walk 500 miles or I got soul, All the things I have done etc more Gracie Fields or Vera Lynn :smt035 :smt035 :smt038 :smt038
To be fair I would love a rendition of 'We'll Meet Again' at the first fixture of a full Welford Road.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

chipnchase wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:55 am Meanwhile over the channel the French clubs are playing two weeks of Top14 games!
The French government is concerned with British clubs bringing over the London variant of Covid to France, rather than the situation of the pandemic in France itself, which is not as severe currently as our own.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

And the French game may not be trying to distance itself from this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55615893

Elite sport is all getting lumped together over here, much more of this and you can kiss goodbye to the rest of the season, never mind 2 weeks!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I don’t have an issue with the suspension of games in either the European competitions or domestically. What I do have an issue with is the disingenuous way the French can’t play European Cup games due to COVID but then fill them with Pro 14 games. Which in my mind shows it may not be about COVID at all. Especially as the COVID virus is rampant in France, their vaccine roll out is verging on a national scandal and the new variant has already been detected there anyway, albeit only in small numbers at the moment.

But then again, though I see the viewpoint of others and respect that, including one of financial survival, but I’m of the view that the current season is pretty pointless and we shouldn’t be playing any games at the moment until the vaccine programme is at a scale that its having a major impact, and the NHS isn’t being overwhelmed.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

On balance I think the two week break makes sense. Hopefully players and staff use it wisely for their physical well being.

More rugby played later in the Spring seems to make sense on lots of fronts.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I guess that the 2 weeks could be of benefit depending on how it is used. There seems to be a fair number of covid cases around various squads at the moment. Put all the players in 2 weeks of self isolation and we should have a fairly clean slate once rugby is back. Keep going as are and we may simply be returning to more cancellations.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:38 am I don’t have an issue with the suspension of games in either the European competitions or domestically. What I do have an issue with is the disingenuous way the French can’t play European Cup games due to COVID but then fill them with Pro 14 games. Which in my mind shows it may not be about COVID at all. Especially as the COVID virus is rampant in France, their vaccine roll out is verging on a national scandal and the new variant has already been detected there anyway, albeit only in small numbers at the moment.

But then again, though I see the viewpoint of others and respect that, including one of financial survival, but I’m of the view that the current season is pretty pointless and we shouldn’t be playing any games at the moment until the vaccine programme is at a scale that its having a major impact, and the NHS isn’t being overwhelmed.
Agreed,
I think the French reaction is aimed at England solely, they have agreed to the 6 nations (only play us once) however, but is there a connection to the new strain which was first detected in Kent, then London and Suffolk and Essex, all have channel links to the continent, with Dover etc taking the main traffic through tunnel and boats? Did the new strain come here from France?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:05 am Helps pay BT back revenue for games they missed out on.
Not sure that it would pay BT any revenue back as they would normally only cover three games live on a normal weekend. During the pandemic, they have been covering every game which would be additional resource and finance.
I believe that BT Sport have gone above and beyond what they were contracted to cover to assist with fans seeing live rugby whilst stadiums are not accessible.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk