Tigers v Bayonne - European games suspended

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bayonne

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is our game with Bayonne off or not then? Thanks
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

chipnchase wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am Surprised that it hasnt been officially pulled already.

Would make sense to pull some rounds forward as Pat Lamb suggested at the weekend or simply carry on the tournament without the French clubs.
Carrying on without the French teams seems the most likely to me. Keeps games on TV which keeps the money following from BT.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:59 pm Is our game with Bayonne off or not then? Thanks
All we know is they have threatened to pull out, nothing official yet as far as I can find
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:12 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:59 pm Is our game with Bayonne off or not then? Thanks
All we know is they have threatened to pull out, nothing official yet as far as I can find
Thanks 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Not that my schoolboy French is up to all that, but I cannot see anything on the Bayonne twitter page to suggest they have cancelled.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Looks like the next two weeks of European Rugby have been suspended....latest on Sky news feed
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Indeed. 6 Nations will soon follow. I can't see the French being willing to participate given the infection levels. With the vaccination programme not anticipated to be complete until the autumn continuing at a level of acceptable risk seems miles away.

We'll be back to watching recordings before long. You thought 2020 was bad? 2021 thus far is not much better.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm Indeed. 6 Nations will soon follow. I can't see the French being willing to participate given the infection levels. With the vaccination programme not anticipated to be complete until the autumn continuing at a level of acceptable risk seems miles away.

We'll be back to watching recordings before long. You thought 2020 was bad? 2021 thus far is not much better.
Autumn? Has just been said 15m will be vaccinated by end of February. If that’s the case that will be the vulnerable groups more than taken care of and restrictions should be lifted!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I hope they take Pat Lams suggestion and bring the Premiership schedule forward to fill the gap releasing time later in the season. Some coordination with other leagues would be required but if they are quick out of the blocks it could be done. It would no doubt make BT happy.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:56 pm
Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm Indeed. 6 Nations will soon follow. I can't see the French being willing to participate given the infection levels. With the vaccination programme not anticipated to be complete until the autumn continuing at a level of acceptable risk seems miles away.

Autumn? Has just been said 15m will be vaccinated by end of February. If that’s the case that will be the vulnerable groups more than taken care of and restrictions should be lifted!
There's what people say, and reality.
It's easy to say no. Getting back to normal is going to take guts. With the society's view of risk as it is I'm not optimistic.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:56 pm

It doesn't and they won't.

Assuming that groups 1 to 4 receive their first jabs by mid Feb it will be a further three weeks before all have achieved immunity and they also will require their second jabs to achieve the maximum immunity possible. This will cover 88% of the current fatalities but this still leaves a lot of vulnerable people exposed and with high infection rates the chance of further mutations also increases. Now is the one and only chance to put this virus to bed and rushing too quickly to lift restrictions is foolish in the extreme. I love my rugby but at the end of the day it is a sport and not worth risking many lives to give us entertainment.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bayonne - European games suspended

Post by Scott1 »

Looks like the vaccinations will be done just in time for next winters lockdowns then!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bayonne - European games suspended

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

If Premiership rugby don't organise anything then Tigers should, the team needs to play together and build. If that means bringing games forward. Personally I'd be happy if they just said lets play the cancelled games so far (no team has lost more than 2 fixtures I think so all could be played these two weekends)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.