Diamond leaves Sale! - Alex Sanderson takes over!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Diamond leaves Sale!

Post by mol2 »

He's an amiable guy when not doing his former day job.

Sounds like he's been through some tough times with bereavements and family illness and needed a break.

Would probably make a more insightful addition to the commentary box than some of the ex-players we have dribbling on.....
It sounded like he was touting for a bit of work with BT Sports.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Full of respect for the bloke. Yes, not everyone's cup of tea but his heart is in the right place.
Hope all his family issues conclude with a happier ending.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Alex Sanderson taking over Sale?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That's what is being touted. When I first heard the rumour on the Rugby Pod, Big Jim and Goodey were skeptical thinking that Sanderson would rather wait to get the top job at Sarries with Jim hinting that if the salary cap scandal hadn't have happened it's possible that Rugby's no1 Taylor Swift fan would have taken over from Mark McCall by now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

...stil be surprised to see him leave Sarries in the immediate future for Sale.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:20 am ...stil be surprised to see him leave Sarries in the immediate future for Sale.
Maybe just maybe he's heard rumours that there won't be any promotion relegation, and doesn't want to be stuck in the Championship too long?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 am That's what is being touted. When I first heard the rumour on the Rugby Pod, Big Jim and Goodey were skeptical thinking that Sanderson would rather wait to get the top job at Sarries with Jim hinting that if the salary cap scandal hadn't have happened it's possible that Rugby's no1 Taylor Swift fan would have taken over from Mark McCall by now.
I don't think its that surprising. The top job at any club would be tempting, and its not like Sale are need a major rebuild like SB had with us or Gustard to a certain extent with Quins. Plus, unless McCall has a guaranteed exit date from Sarries there's a risk in hanging around too long.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It's going quite well for Sale at the moment. If it ain't broken.......
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:39 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 am That's what is being touted. When I first heard the rumour on the Rugby Pod, Big Jim and Goodey were skeptical thinking that Sanderson would rather wait to get the top job at Sarries with Jim hinting that if the salary cap scandal hadn't have happened it's possible that Rugby's no1 Taylor Swift fan would have taken over from Mark McCall by now.
I don't think its that surprising. The top job at any club would be tempting, and its not like Sale are need a major rebuild like SB had with us or Gustard to a certain extent with Quins. Plus, unless McCall has a guaranteed exit date from Sarries there's a risk in hanging around too long.
True Sale aren't in need of a major rebuild but for me their squad isn't very sustainable and it wouldn't take much for what happened with Ackermann and Gloucester to happen at the Sharks with a mass exodus of their Afrikaners if they don't get their way or things quickly take a bad turn.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Personally still find it a surprise , but Alex Sanderson taking over at Sale is looking increasingly likely :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/alex-san ... aro-itoje/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Just been confirmed in the Rugby Paper

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/all/dom ... harks-dor/
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Diamond leaves Sale! - Alex Sanderson takes over!

Post by MCC1964 »

Good for him. Hope he does well (Sale are my ‘second’ team as my Dad used to play for them). Also good to see another Englishman taking the helm at a Premiership club. Here’s hoping one or two of them do well enough to take over the National side at some point in the future.

That’s quite a team he’s inheriting though. Bet a certain GM has a rueful smile on his face...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Strange knowing that he was next in line at Sarries. I understand that having experience as number 1 at Sale furthers his course but if it doesn’t turn out well does that wreck his future Sarries cause? Good luck anyway!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Very good signing for Sale.

Perhaps McCall had decided to stay for much longer, perhaps Sale pay very well! Lots of factors when deciding on career moves, and with all the uncertainty facing Sarries' future, the Sale job is a huge opportunity.