Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Post by JP14 »

I think a warm-up against Saracens, Ealing or maybe even Cornish Pirates might be a good idea.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Just being "devils advocate", but by Saints deciding to announce they could play as they have 23 available, is this a calculated announcement to try to avoid a 2-4 points against them and hope that the ruling does not go against them and the ruling committee give them say 3-3 points? What is the point situation if the committee overseeing the postponement does agree with the club?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 pm Just being "devils advocate", but by Saints deciding to announce they could play as they have 23 available, is this a calculated announcement to try to avoid a 2-4 points against them and hope that the ruling does not go against them and the ruling committee give them say 3-3 points? What is the point situation if the committee overseeing the postponement does agree with the club?
Having 23 players of tried Prem standard is different from having 23 players.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 pm Just being "devils advocate", but by Saints deciding to announce they could play as they have 23 available, is this a calculated announcement to try to avoid a 2-4 points against them and hope that the ruling does not go against them and the ruling committee give them say 3-3 points? What is the point situation if the committee overseeing the postponement does agree with the club?
If they have 23 available then surely the game goes ahead
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I am yet to see the logic or sense of trying to play any elite sport in the current climate & that's before we get to the panto of the league table.
Someone no doubt will say Elite Sport being played provides a distraction, but if a lot of it isn't being played due to Covid it's a moot point.
BT aren't giving me a rebate for lack of product..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

If everyone else is working why can't sports people?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ads wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 pm If everyone else is working why can't sports people?
Hardly essential work sport....

I am sure all those in hospitality & the retail sector would like to be working.
Last edited by Wayne Richardson Fan Club on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:32 pm I am yet to see the logic or sense of trying to play any elite sport in the current climate & that's before we get to the panto of the league table.
££££ and sanity
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:32 pmSomeone no doubt will say Elite Sport being played provides a distraction, but if a lot of it isn't being played due to Covid it's a moot point.
Define "a lot"? The vast majority is being played.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:32 pmBT aren't giving me a rebate for lack of product..
No but they don't guarantee their content either.

As I said above I am biased because I want something to watch and relieve the boredom of lockdown. If the authorities decide it is unsafe and stop it though, I can live with it and wouldn't complain.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ads wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:31 pm If everyone else is working why can't sports people?
To be fair many people aren't working. Really comes down to a combination of necessity and risk.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Elite sport is subject to strict protocols and regular testing. It is in a controlled and monitored environment and clubs react accordingly.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:32 pm.
BT aren't giving me a rebate for lack of product..
Exactly - and that’s why the show will go on, probably until long after those who care have concluded it’s a farce (so not long now) or the effect of the vaccine is to release us all (but certainly not before the end of March).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:56 pm A friendly between the squad, on LTTV would be brilliant.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Heyes 4.Lavanini 5.Wells 6.Brink 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.JvP 10.Ford 11.van Wyk 12.Porter 13.Moroni 14.Potter 15.Steward

1.Leatigaga 2.Clare 3.Cole 4.Green 5.Martin 6.Liebenberg 7.Wallace 8.Taufua
9.Youngs 10. Henry 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Kelly 14.Simmons 15.Murimurivalu

Brett Deacon in charge of one side, Matt Smith the other, with the senior coaches taking a chance to oversee everyone's performance. Youngs brothers skippering opposing sides. Letters instead of numbers on the shirts. Bondi and Matt Tait commentating, Steve Johnson as summariser. Ready, set, go.
Take my money!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Either they have 23 players fit to play under the Covid rules or they don’t.

If they have then why are they being told not to play? or does that mean that whilst those players are fit they are being required to self isolate.

Have they got 23 players who can play under the regulations. If not then presumably the points are awarded 4:2 to Tigers.

If they have 23 players fit and free to play under the Covid rules, including the requisite front row, then who is advising them not to play? If it is not as per the regs then it should be 5:0 to Tigers as choosing not to play is not an option without a valid reason.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Taking into account circumstances and the near certainty that Exeter Vs Bristol goes ahead (despite positive tests for Exeter) it would be nice to know the exact criteria with regard to cancellation of fixtures as things do appear a little hazy right now :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55559922
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Meantime , additional measures announced to (hopefully) limit the transmission of Covid :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ice-bath ... protocols/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....