Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021 - cancelled due to COVID

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:23 pm I am still querying who is advising the club not to play the match. Is it the medical staff of the club, the RFU, the Premiership. I am just interested as to who is responsible for this advice as the club state that they had 23 players available and could have put a team out.

I am all for caution but there needs to be transparency to ensure a fair and level playing field. Whilst I would hope it would never happen, lets look at the example of a team at the bottom of the table with a match coming up against Exeter. They are playing badly already and due to covid can only put out a much weaker side for this match and are looking at a hammering. Would you rather rest players, take 2 points and no damage to the points difference or or potentially get no points, tired players and a big deficit on the points difference. What if, in the same circumstances, a team needs 2 points in the last match of the season. Do you play and risk it or cancel due to covid and guarantee survival.

Now that there are points awarded for covid cancelled matches, there needs to be an independent assessment of whether a team could, or should, play and ,if they refuse to play with a 23 man squad available, do they get any points.
I wonder if it relates to how the contact tracing works, say the teams were originally working on anyone with more than 15min close contact has to isolate, well maybe that's the official stance but with the transmissibility of the new variant that's been advised to drop to say 10min, this may change who is recommended to isolate?

The other thing it could be is if say one of the front row positions is covered only by development squad players and it's been decided that they're not at the level required to play a full match
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think it is likely to be the PGB Medical Advisory Group who advise that a game should not go ahead. If they believe the match should not go ahead then they can refer it to the PGB for a recommendation to be made to PRL as to whether the game goes ahead.

There is always an assessment of whether the game could go ahead, it is never a case of a club saying "we can't play, covid innit" and PRL responding with "no worries bruv, have 2 points".

I don't think it's normally ever even the club making the decision not to play. Tests are carried out, results submitted to PGB MAG, contact tracing carried out, results submitted to PGB MAG for review and referral if necessary.
Last edited by Tiglon on Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

A friendly between the squad, on LTTV would be brilliant.

1.Genge 2.Youngs 3.Heyes 4.Lavanini 5.Wells 6.Brink 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.JvP 10.Ford 11.van Wyk 12.Porter 13.Moroni 14.Potter 15.Steward

1.Leatigaga 2.Clare 3.Cole 4.Green 5.Martin 6.Liebenberg 7.Wallace 8.Taufua
9.Youngs 10. Henry 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Kelly 14.Simmons 15.Murimurivalu

Brett Deacon in charge of one side, Matt Smith the other, with the senior coaches taking a chance to oversee everyone's performance. Youngs brothers skippering opposing sides. Letters instead of numbers on the shirts. Bondi and Matt Tait commentating, Steve Johnson as summariser. Ready, set, go.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I actually meant to say, with the way the league looks this year I'll happily take any win even if its a covid one.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:56 pm A friendly between the squad, on LTTV would be brilliant.

Brett Deacon in charge of one side, Matt Smith the other, with the senior coaches taking a chance to oversee everyone's performance. Youngs brothers skippering opposing sides. Letters instead of numbers on the shirts. Bondi and Matt Tait commentating, Steve Johnson as summariser. Ready, set, go.
Good idea, but how will I know which side to support, and therefore which side is being unfairly victimised by the referee, which side is the worst team in the world when they concede points and then destined for world domination when they score?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:00 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:56 pm A friendly between the squad, on LTTV would be brilliant.

Good idea, but how will I know which side to support, and therefore which side is being unfairly victimised by the referee, which side is the worst team in the world when they concede points and then destined for world domination when they score?
obviously both, if at least 2 players from each side aren't sent off count ourselves very lucky
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

:smt002

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Traveller wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:23 pm :smt002

No doubt Genge, Lavanini, Wiese, Van Wyk, Green and Taufua would all contrive to be red carded and banned for the next eight weeks, when we are back playing again. Scott, Brink, Wells, Reffell, Martin, Steward and Wallace would sustain long term injuries. Ford and Youngs would be away for the rest of the season on England duty and it would be left to Youngs and Cole to hold the fort for just one last time.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Question our derby match has been cancelled due to COVID despite Saints saying they could have put out a match 23 but advisors said no. Exeter derby match looks to be going ahead even though they have had positve tests as well. Is their derby match more important than ours? Cynic in me says Exeter / PRL ETC didn't want to concede 4 pts to Bristol and only get 2 in return
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:57 pm Given it looks probable that Bayonne is off the next weekend, and possibly Brive the week after,we should be contacting any other clubs that have have a cancellation against them regarding a friendly, we need to ensure we stay match sharp.
It is off. They have pulled out of both their remaining matches
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Saints, like us previously are treating the virus seriously so have done what we all need to do to drive the cases down: in other words take no unnecessary chances.
Yes, they could probably put out a team but that could potentially endanger those players left so”standing” and our Tigers.
Unlike the French, where teams are tested 3 days before a game, in the Premiership I believe the tests are done before Tuesday!!
Well done Saints: sensible decision and I hope all those tested positive soon make a full recovery.
The season has to be played out otherwise BT could seek compensation and the clubs need the finance.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:44 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:57 pm Given it looks probable that Bayonne is off the next weekend, and possibly Brive the week after,we should be contacting any other clubs that have have a cancellation against them regarding a friendly, we need to ensure we stay match sharp.
Latest I heard they released a statement saying they were planning on pulling out of both, then the following day the tournament organizers said that nobody has pulled out of any games as yet, then there was a meeting with the french clubs I think after which sounds seemed positive that games would be played?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:56 pm
Latest I heard they released a statement saying they were planning on pulling out of both, then the following day the tournament organizers said that nobody has pulled out of any games as yet, then there was a meeting with the french clubs I think after which sounds seemed positive that games would be played?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... n-boycott/
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:32 pm

Pretty sure that article is based on the statement put out by Bayonne on Sunday, on Monday the EPRC has confirmed no teams as yet have pulled out of any games and talks were supposedly held yesterday with all the french clubs.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:43 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:32 pm

Pretty sure that article is based on the statement put out by Bayonne on Sunday, on Monday the EPRC has confirmed no teams as yet have pulled out of any games and talks were supposedly held yesterday with all the french clubs.
Fair enough. Not sure then. The official Bayonne website says:

“ As things stand, the club will not play the two Challenge Cup matches scheduled for Friday 15 and 22 January against Leicester and Zebre Rugby. He will not resume competition until after an interruption of one and a half months, on the occasion of the reception of SU Agen on the weekend of January 30.

More information will be provided after the return of the National Rugby League Medical Commission”

https://www.abrugby.fr/article/03/01/20 ... id-19-3302

Bit off topic for this thread so apologies but all useful COVID related conversation!