Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints v Tigers - 09th January 2021

Post by JP14 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:27 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm I cant remember the last time we won at the gardens, we have got to step up from our more recent trips there?
Oct 2018 was the last time we won there.. result was 23-15 to us. Also won there early 2017. Although ask me again on Sat and hopefully the answer will be Jan 2021 :smt002

We beat them at WR in Sep 2020 but they won the previous 4 matches home and away (albeit 2 were in the Prem Cup).
October 2018 was at Twickenham, so really the last time we won at Franklin Gardens was March 2017, Mauger's last game in charge.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am
loretta wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 am I feel that, this year in particular, comparisons with previous seasons are meaningless. This squad and set up feels quite different to last years and a world away from ones before that. We can only judge as we see the evolution continue, and for me the next 2 games are within our grasp. Brive in France will be harder than WR, but only when we get a string of wins together will we really see what we have and I’ll admit to being optimistic.
Saints always turn up against Tigers regardless of the stats so I'd be inclined to agree. It will be a tough game and if we can perform like we did against Bath then it will be a cracking match.

As for Brive I am less concerned; yes they are the home team but they have matches either side of the Tigers fixture against Montpellier and Toulon. They will be targeting these matches as they are currently sat in 9th and I imagine the Top 14 will be their priority as they are effectively out of the running in Europe now having lost both opening matches.

Our next 4 matches in the Premiership (Saints A, Sale H, Worcester H, Quins A) and the 2 European matches are all very winnable for me. We could be in great shape if we can string a few wins together.
You’re right about the upcoming games being winnable. I don’t think we can’t win in Brive, just that French teams tend to play for local pride at home so is likely to be a harder return fixture. As a comparison to last year, I’d have been overjoyed at 3 wins in a row!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

loretta wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:55 am
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am
loretta wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:17 am I feel that, this year in particular, comparisons with previous seasons are meaningless. This squad and set up feels quite different to last years and a world away from ones before that. We can only judge as we see the evolution continue, and for me the next 2 games are within our grasp. Brive in France will be harder than WR, but only when we get a string of wins together will we really see what we have and I’ll admit to being optimistic.
Saints always turn up against Tigers regardless of the stats so I'd be inclined to agree. It will be a tough game and if we can perform like we did against Bath then it will be a cracking match.

As for Brive I am less concerned; yes they are the home team but they have matches either side of the Tigers fixture against Montpellier and Toulon. They will be targeting these matches as they are currently sat in 9th and I imagine the Top 14 will be their priority as they are effectively out of the running in Europe now having lost both opening matches.

Our next 4 matches in the Premiership (Saints A, Sale H, Worcester H, Quins A) and the 2 European matches are all very winnable for me. We could be in great shape if we can string a few wins together.
You’re right about the upcoming games being winnable. I don’t think we can’t win in Brive, just that French teams tend to play for local pride at home so is likely to be a harder return fixture. As a comparison to last year, I’d have been overjoyed at 3 wins in a row!
They do you're right. That being said we beat Bayonne away and Bayonne and Brive are pretty much in the same place in the Top 14 table but Bayonne have 2 games in hand. It's a tough one to call. Next round Brive are away to Zebre.. will they send a strong team? Doubt it so potentially their final European match at home to us will be a dead rubber. Would they risk their first team just for a bit of pride.. not sure if I'm honest but I don't think it will be their priority.

Anyway.. apologies we are getting a bit off topic.. Tigers Saints.. COYT :smt038
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:38 am
LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:46 pm I cant remember the last time we won at the gardens, we have got to step up from our more recent trips there?
Oct 2018 was the last time we won there.. result was 23-15 to us. Also won there early 2017. Although ask me again on Sat and hopefully the answer will be Jan 2021 :smt002

We beat them at WR in Sep 2020 but they won the previous 4 matches home and away (albeit 2 were in the Prem Cup).
October 2018 was at Twickenham, so really the last time we won at Franklin Gardens was March 2017, Mauger's last game in charge.
You're right JP, forgot that good shout :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:22 am

No worries!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

To be honest home advantage is not worth much without crowds. Imagine the noise against Bath had the crowd been there, then it would have been different.

100m of grass is much the same anywhere in England so we shouldn't think of this as an away game.
We have the players to beat most sides in the league and now seem to have direction as well so this is a winnable game. Much the same can be said of Stains so stil not going to be an easy game. If anything no crowds impact sides like us, Stains and Bath more than sides used to playing in front of one man and a dog. A trip to Wasps is much the same in a lockdown as normal times, except there are no away fans to drown out the annoying buzzing over the tannoy!

Our defence was exposed by Bath although one was a dog's breakfast in the maul and the other when a man down, but we showed signs in attack that we can score.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:32 am To be honest home advantage is not worth much without crowds. Imagine the noise against Bath had the crowd been there, then it would have been different.

100m of grass is much the same anywhere in England so we shouldn't think of this as an away game.
We have the players to beat most sides in the league and now seem to have direction as well so this is a winnable game. Much the same can be said of Stains so still not going to be an easy game. If anything no crowds impact sides like us, Stains and Bath more than sides used to playing in front of one man and a dog. A trip to Wasps is much the same in a lockdown as normal times, except there are no away fans to drown out the annoying buzzing over the tannoy! Perhaps that's why Wasps are doing better this season?

Our defence was exposed by Bath although one was a dog's breakfast in the maul and the other when a man down, but we showed signs in attack that we can score.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:37 am
No worries!
There were worries for David Denton as his injury was his last ever game! Alas.....
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:12 pm I'm a bit sceptical of the "derby game" factor (isn't it really just something hyped up by broadcasters to promote their product?) and even more so when there are no crowds and almost none of the players involved are from the area. The game will be won on exactly the same things as any other Premiership game which do include belief and the will to win, along with discipline, organisation, accuracy, fitness etc.
Agreed. I don't think that this will really matter more than any other game, except to the fans, the media and maybe the Youngs brothers, who have been at the club long enough to understand the rivalry. The interview with Wiese was a classic example after the game, where he was asked if he'd been told about the rivalry with Bath and Northampton and he replied with something along the lines of "one of the boys mentioned it yesterday, how much these derby games mean to the club". So it's not really being mentioned much around the training ground. I suspect they're focused on the what Tiglon mentions above, getting things right rather than the history of the match itself.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Would suggest Matt Smith will be explaining to some of the newer signings what Saints games mean to Tigers.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:55 pm Would suggest Matt Smith will be explaining to some of the newer signings what Saints games mean to Tigers.
...and the Youngs, Clare, Cole, Heyes, Bower, Wells, Green, Lewis, Reffell, Fordy, White, JVP, Steward and any other player likely to feature who've come through the Tigers academy i've missed. The Tigers DNA is still strong!!
Last edited by DingDong on Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://twitter.com/DuncanBech/status/1 ... 59969?s=20

Northampton have returned a "limited number" of Covid tests, although the impact on the game is not yet known.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:55 pm Would suggest Matt Smith will be explaining to some of the newer signings what Saints games mean to Tigers.
Or he's a professional like everyone else involved and he knows that a win against Saints is no more important than a win against Quins. Of course, they'll always say it matters more, because that's what you want to hear...

Honestly, even I don't think a derby means more than any other game. This isn't 1964, I don't live in the same place I was born, I don't have banter with a village full of Saints fans just over the border, I don't even know any Saints fans.

It's been mentioned that Mauger's final game was a win against Saints. If that's true, then the derby means nothing more to the club itself either because he was sacked anyway!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:37 am
No worries!
I had forgotten the venue was at Twickenham even though I and mates were there, Saints played it there as a Testimonial for Rob Horne, who had previously been severely injured playing against us at WR, Saints were really up for a win and they weren't best pleased to lose a game they considered a definite win for them. Like others have pointed out it was to be David Denton's last game for us, sustaining his final head injury which finished his career. ps Thanks Graham.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Fair few reports doing the rounds saying that Uncertainty hovers over the Northampton Gallagher Premiership clash with Leicester on Saturday after Saints returned a “limited number” of positive tests for coronavirus.

The latest round of testing undertaken on Monday uncovered the cases and the club are now going through contact tracing protocols as they look to avoid a second-successive match cancellation after an outbreak at London Irish resulted in last weekend’s trip to Brentford being called off.

“We’ve had a limited number of positive Covid tests this week and are currently working through the associated protocols with the medical oversight group and other stakeholders,” a Northampton spokesperson said regarding the Premiership clash wih Leicester.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-4857739