3rd January 2021 v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 3rd January 2021 v Bath

Post by Crofty »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:59 am IDK the feel ford road factor too me has been a hindrance of late.

One of those great when winning not so much losing.
Do you mean the crowd turning on the team or more the crowd going AWOL half way through the game? (From the games I've been to the latter is something that I've seen in game, the former not so much until after the final whistle).
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Crofty wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:55 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:59 am IDK the feel ford road factor too me has been a hindrance of late.

Do you mean the crowd turning on the team or more the crowd going AWOL half way through the game? (From the games I've been to the latter is something that I've seen in game, the former not so much until after the final whistle).
not turning on them just completely silent once the opposition score.
It was like once they scored it felt the crowd knew what was coming. Can't imagine for a team with little confidence that having your home supporters go silent so quickly is a good boost.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:05 pm
Crofty wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:55 pm

not turning on them just completely silent once the opposition score.
It was like once they scored it felt the crowd knew what was coming. Can't imagine for a team with little confidence that having your home supporters go silent so quickly is a good boost.
Yup, whole heartedly agree with that, more than once in the Crumbie I've felt like my pal and I cheering was getting in the way of everyone else's hushed conversations...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The starting scrum half and the bench scrum half roles are different.

The starter has to control the game, probably more so than the fly half. Generally this is a lot of kicking in the modern game. Yes thy have to be aware to exploit gaps but it is much more than that.

The bench scrum half coming on as a planned substitution has a role to inject pace - either running themselves or with quick delivery to take advantage of tiring defences. This is often eyecatching but doesn't mean they are doing better than the the starter.

This is why I wouldn't have Wigglesworth on the bench - he starts if Youngs is away or injured.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I wouldn't have Wigglesworth in the team full stop.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The first test of Borthwick's side is to be able to compete 'on the day' with any Premiership team. Beating a hugely physical Bath team is a tick in the box for that.

The next test is to put a run of Premiership results together. To show that L.Irish was the exception, not the rule.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm I wouldn't have Wigglesworth in the team full stop.
I honestly don’t understand this constant bashing of our scrum halves.. this isn’t aimed at you WRFC but it’s just seems to keep cropping up..

If it’s not YBY it’s Wiggo or White.. we are privileged to have some world class 9s at our club and some with huge potential. Yes YBY might be a bit slower than some of the others with certain elements of the game but he’s a world class international with huge experience and has been and still is an incredible servant to the club.

Wigglesworth hasn’t been whiter than white of late but has a huge amount of experience to bring to the table and has looked solid during his outings for us thus far. He and YBY will be fantastic for the young lads to learn from.

White has shown his potential, most recently during the European matches but he’s a young lad and has plenty of time to develop. The same goes for JvP; a fantastic prospect and a sneak preview on Sun of what he brings to the table.

I wish we could stop going round the buoy on this one and Willy waving as to which 9 is better or faster...

Leave that to SB and the coaches and let’s be grateful we are spoiled for choice
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's an opinion based on his previous & the fact he is blocking progress by the younger 9s, White may be young but he has made plenty of appearances, Wigglesworth shouldn't start in front of him, especially if ringfencing is happening, I would rather we hadn't employed him at all.
My issue with YBY in recent times is his form in a Tigers shirt hasn't warranted his selection as a guaranteed starter, arguably the issue is not having a 9 between Youngs & White in the squad in terms of age & experience.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

In the Autumn nations cup I think YBY showed that he should be on the Lions tour (based on that tournament alone I'd have him as the lions starting scrum half.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:43 pm Very good display by the lads. 14-0 and a man down to come back and win 36-31.. I’ll take that. Shame we couldn’t turn the screw at the death and make it a 5-0 but I’m more than happy with that result that lifts us up to 7th.

Steward was incredible, those kicks by Ford were immense, Wiese was his usual huge carrying self and I thought Van Wyk had a great game. JvP had a great game too as others have mentioned. With Wigglesworth due back for the Saints game we are pretty well stocked at 9. Think White has slipped down the pecking order to number 4 potentially now.. actually thought the Green Wells combo worked pretty well today. Lineout looked more solid when Clare came on but not a bad performance by Youngs.

Not perfect display but given the lack of training and players missing I am very happy with that outcome.

Taufua, Brink, Reffell, De Bruin, Moroni, Porter and Potter all potentially back in contention for the Saints game which will only add more impact off the bench and hopefully will help cut out the terrible first 20 minutes!
Don't forget Lavanini - he is superb. It seems to me we have a squad that compete even with rotation.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

bc wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:05 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:43 pm Very good display by the lads. 14-0 and a man down to come back and win 36-31.. I’ll take that. Shame we couldn’t turn the screw at the death and make it a 5-0 but I’m more than happy with that result that lifts us up to 7th.

Steward was incredible, those kicks by Ford were immense, Wiese was his usual huge carrying self and I thought Van Wyk had a great game. JvP had a great game too as others have mentioned. With Wigglesworth due back for the Saints game we are pretty well stocked at 9. Think White has slipped down the pecking order to number 4 potentially now.. actually thought the Green Wells combo worked pretty well today. Lineout looked more solid when Clare came on but not a bad performance by Youngs.

Not perfect display but given the lack of training and players missing I am very happy with that outcome.

Taufua, Brink, Reffell, De Bruin, Moroni, Porter and Potter all potentially back in contention for the Saints game which will only add more impact off the bench and hopefully will help cut out the terrible first 20 minutes!
Don't forget Lavanini - he is superb. It seems to me we have a squad that compete even with rotation.
He is, agreed. I wasn’t sure if he got a broken nose last time out or was missing due COVID. But yes he’s a nailed on starter for me and I hope he’s available
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:14 pm It's an opinion based on his previous & the fact he is blocking progress by the younger 9s, White may be young but he has made plenty of appearances, Wigglesworth shouldn't start in front of him, especially if ringfencing is happening, I would rather we hadn't employed him at all.
My issue with YBY in recent times is his form in a Tigers shirt hasn't warranted his selection as a guaranteed starter, arguably the issue is not having a 9 between Youngs & White in the squad in terms of age & experience.
:smt017 think this might why we employed Wigg....

I do agree thought that when YBY is here wigg the bench 9 should be White or JVP, Wigg or White to start when YBY is with Eng.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ellis Genge, Jasper Wiese, Kobus van Wyk and Freddie Steward have all been selected in Flats XV.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:20 pm The starting scrum half and the bench scrum half roles are different.

The starter has to control the game, probably more so than the fly half. Generally this is a lot of kicking in the modern game. Yes thy have to be aware to exploit gaps but it is much more than that.

The bench scrum half coming on as a planned substitution has a role to inject pace - either running themselves or with quick delivery to take advantage of tiring defences. This is often eyecatching but doesn't mean they are doing better than the the starter.

This is why I wouldn't have Wigglesworth on the bench - he starts if Youngs is away or injured.
Yup.... D'Accord. Experienced head to start then put zip into proceedings. I'd like to see the opposition forwards going "Oh no! Not HIM!"
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:47 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm I wouldn't have Wigglesworth in the team full stop.

I honestly don’t understand this constant bashing of our scrum halves.. this isn’t aimed at you WRFC but it’s just seems to keep cropping up..

If it’s not YBY it’s Wiggo or White.. we are privileged to have some world class 9s at our club and some with huge potential. Yes YBY might be a bit slower than some of the others with certain elements of the game but he’s a world class international with huge experience and has been and still is an incredible servant to the club.

Wigglesworth hasn’t been whiter than white of late but has a huge amount of experience to bring to the table and has looked solid during his outings for us thus far. He and YBY will be fantastic for the young lads to learn from.

White has shown his potential, most recently during the European matches but he’s a young lad and has plenty of time to develop. The same goes for JvP; a fantastic prospect and a sneak preview on Sun of what he brings to the table.

I wish we could stop going round the buoy on this one and Willy waving as to which 9 is better or faster...

Leave that to SB and the coaches and let’s be grateful we are spoiled for choice
I thought it was one of Ben's best performances in some time at the weekend. I think he picked and carried more from the base in that game than he did in the whole of last season. Created the Wells try with some great on the fly thinking. Then JVP came on and looked quick and crisp.

I think Wigglesworth was good earlier in the season, particularly Vs Glaws and will be a handy player to have during the international periods whilst White and JVP develop. White looked to have improved a little this season as well and I like how combative he is, not worried at all about getting stuck in.

I agree four good scrum halfs with a nice range of experience. Wigglesworth might only be here a short term but he only needs to be. Benny could have years still left, particularly if he keeps playing like he did on Sunday.