Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 3rd January 2021 v Bath

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:49 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 pm Out of interest, anyone recognise the guy in front of Luke Wallace?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJmXS0xhoM9 ... dw4f7ttzpe
Chessum isn’t it?
That’s a good shout! Thanks RB! The inner geek in me was getting annoyed as I could recognise everyone else! :smt005
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:11 am
MCC1964 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:18 am
mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 pm Weisse was a well deserved MOM. The best 8 we’ve seen at this club for years .. not dissimilar to Simmonds at Exeter
steward was a close run thing and gets better every match .. in 2 years he is going to be stunning. Big, strong, powerful, skilful, great under the high ball .. a bit like a young Gavin Hastings!

Gengy was on fire, Henderson looked fine when he came on but Wells had another good game and Green is solid. I want to see more of Martin as he gets back to full fitness.. I remember seeing him as a 9 year old and thinking he was special.

I have to say that the game game changed pace when JVP came on! I cannot quite see what EJ sees in YBY but I think Tigers look better with faster ball and that is not something he delivers anymore ( apologies if that upsets anyone)!

Gloucester was a a good game but this was against better opposition and there can be no doubt we are much improved since last year.

Better players, better tactics, fitter, better drilled, more competitive, more desire, better team ethos, more desire to win. I don’t think we’ll beat the best, we may even lose to some poor sides , but we will get better and we already look better and if we keep improving at this rate and can keep the coaching staff and the young players, in 3 of 4 years we are going to be back fighting for top honours!
A note of caution with the YBY criticism. This sounds similar to the case for Danny Care v YBY. It’s all very well coming on in the last 20 as a nippy scrum half facing a tiring opposition (and despite fitness levels sides will naturally be more tired at the end of a game than the beginning and in some cases like this with a side chasing the game) . His real test will be when he gets a go as a starting scrum half. But I too like what I have seen so far. So far....
+1 Fast ball off the bench when they are tired is a very attractive option to have.
+2.

YBY had a very good game, and actually found a lot of space around the fringe of the ruck, some better support lines and we would’ve really profited. Great to have competition at 9, but a good 9 always looks great coming off the bench with the mission to up the tempo.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 pmI have to say that the game game changed pace when JVP came on! I cannot quite see what EJ sees in YBY but I think Tigers look better with faster ball and that is not something he delivers anymore ( apologies if that upsets anyone)!
Not upsetting, just boring! This is the same old comment trotted out with White, Harrison, Wigglesworth etc when they come off the bench. The class of Youngs is that he consistently and expertly does the hard yards from the start creating a situation for fresh legs to capitalise on. White/JVP are far from being the quality starting 9 as YBY is, hopefully they will but give credit where 100+ international and 250+ club caps are due!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

DingDong wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:30 am
mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:21 pmI have to say that the game game changed pace when JVP came on! I cannot quite see what EJ sees in YBY but I think Tigers look better with faster ball and that is not something he delivers anymore ( apologies if that upsets anyone)!
Not upsetting, just boring! This is the same old comment trotted out with White, Harrison, Wigglesworth etc when they come off the bench. The class of Youngs is that he consistently and expertly does the hard yards from the start creating a situation for fresh legs to capitalise on. White/JVP are far from being the quality starting 9 as YBY is, hopefully they will but give credit where 100+ international and 250+ club caps are due!
It was also being trotted out about Youngs himself and Dupuy when they were coming off the bench for Ellis.

There's more to it than just the coming off the bench factor, although that's a big part of it. There's also what I call Wayne Rooney Syndrome - when someone is young, new and exciting and we haven't seen them ^*%$ up yet we build them up. Once they're established and successful and we've discovered they're not perfect we want to see them fail so we try to knock them back down.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Lets all beg to differ.
Horses for courses. Some games suit some and require a set of skills. Others require a different set of skills.
I like the balance we now have Horses for Courses in all parts of the park.
What yesterday proved is, we were able to change the game for the second 40. That means the horses and fitness worked for us on this occasion. :smt038
Fish8ter

Post by Fish8ter »

What was especially good to see were players taking the ball on at pace, rather from a standing start. Wiese seems to be a real juggernaut and with 3 -4 of the pack also willing ball carrier's, the variation is bringing out the best in all of them and gave us some great front foot ball and this will give our backs the space to improve. Really excited to see our back three get settled, Nadolo is a monster with great hands and can singlehandedly destroy a ruck :smt007 , while like others on here, I agree Steward is an absolute gem and if he can stay injury free, is going to do great things :smt001

Fantastic step forward, 8 out of 10
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Ben is one of the best players this club has ever produced and his record of achievement stands for itself.

We have some very good young talent wearing the number 7 shirt together with experience in the shape of Wiggles so considerable strength in a key position.

Starting a game does, as others have said, present different challenges to coming off the bench for the last 20 and yesterday both played a full part in our success. My only disappointment was missing out on the bonus point at the death. That said, I was impressed at the determination and grit shown and I am very pleased to see further progress and improvement :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

When JVP achieves half as much as Ben Youngs we can start comparing the two.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

So many positives yesterday, not least because even with a dogged victory, there is obviously so much that can be worked on and improved.

What excited me yesterday was after the game, reflecting on the fact that one of these days, 28000 one eyed Tigers supporters will be at Welford Road cheering on a Tigers team that is discovering that cussed determination, to win lots of little battles, and so still be in the game in the last ten minutes. Also to be able to welcome and cheer on and support the youngsters like Steward, Martin, JVP and Reffell et al.

No other club in the Prem has the Welford Road factor. It's a player that Borthwick isn't able to select at present. But when he is, it will play a significant part in the teams development.

As an aside - for me it's a privilege to watch Ben Youngs play for Tigers. An international centurion and Lion - one of the greats.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am No other club in the Prem has the Welford Road factor. It's a player that Borthwick isn't able to select at present. But when he is, it will play a significant part in the teams development.
Everything else I 100% agree and even here I don't disagree so much as see Borthwick not being able to rely on the 16th Tiger as a blessing in disguise.

Right now the lads have to dig deep from within themselves whether home or away, the experience of doing so and the knowledge that they can will serve them extremely well in future games held in hostile environments.

Our away form in Europe was the canary in our coal mine, then the away form in the Prem started to go, both were somewhat masked by Fortress Welford Rd (we might, say, lose to Bath at the Rec but because we would beat, say, Toulouse at Welford Rd the away loss would be, "just a bad day").

Obviously, the hope (and maybe even expectation if I let me get ahead of myself) is that having forged this inner strength the return of the roar at Welford Rd will be that last little push to take the current team from good to great and drive them on to be expected to win at Sandy Park, Stade Filix Mayol (or more lately La Défense) and Twickenham.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Crofty wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:41 am
Traveller wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am No other club in the Prem has the Welford Road factor. It's a player that Borthwick isn't able to select at present. But when he is, it will play a significant part in the teams development.
Everything else I 100% agree and even here I don't disagree so much as see Borthwick not being able to rely on the 16th Tiger as a blessing in disguise.

Right now the lads have to dig deep from within themselves whether home or away, the experience of doing so and the knowledge that they can will serve them extremely well in future games held in hostile environments.

Our away form in Europe was the canary in our coal mine, then the away form in the Prem started to go, both were somewhat masked by Fortress Welford Rd (we might, say, lose to Bath at the Rec but because we would beat, say, Toulouse at Welford Rd the away loss would be, "just a bad day").

Obviously, the hope (and maybe even expectation if I let me get ahead of myself) is that having forged this inner strength the return of the roar at Welford Rd will be that last little push to take the current team from good to great and drive them on to be expected to win at Sandy Park, Stade Filix Mayol (or more lately La Défense) and Twickenham.
Agree completely.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IDK the feel ford road factor too me has been a hindrance of late.

One of those great when winning not so much losing.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Great win and a great game to watch.
Obviously it added that it was a Leicester win but that was the first rugby match involving anyone that I've really enjoyed watching since the first lockdown.
Agree with the last comment about WR being a potential hindrance and the up and down nature of comments on here during a match is possibly a fair reflection of this.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The thing with YBY is the more he slows the game down the worse his performance
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Clearly we weren't watching the same game :smt017
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!