3rd January 2021 v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: 3rd January 2021 v Bath

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

that was a superb effort from the lads and a well deserved 4 points, up to 7th in the table too.

Special mention to Martin and Henderson young lads making big contributions in the pack and Steward who is clearly keeping established international on the bench.

JVP played well too, fast ball and well judged kicks
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:08 pm Yes, on how many days training ?!!
2 I think! Imagine how good we could be at our peak. Early days yet but looking good and thankfully Jones is staying at England until at least 2023 😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

A few 'heart in the mouth' moments. Thoroughly enjoyed the game with the Tigers getting their game plan together after 20 or so minutes with the forwards dominating . Stewart must be up for an England run-out soon? Henderson did really well but his misdemeanour knocking the ball away that led to the Bath try is unforgivable especially when you have worked so hard all game. It is these little, but significant, actions create unnecessary pressure. For a squad that has had so little prep time I was impressed - the youngsters are looking good. Well done Steve B, if the Tigers can retain the squad for next season we may be on a winner?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The other thing I think today will give is BELIEF, that is something that you need a result like this for, it means players will trust the guys around them to help them turn things around.

Ok so we were rusty and things like the lineout which needs a lot of synchronisation were out of time but guts and effort came to the fore and we saw a brutal comeback.

Our backrow, possibly looked a weakness due to Covid left people knowing that Wiese, Liebenberg and Martin are all top rugby players capable of adapting to the situation!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Very good win from 14-0 down so early. JVP had a brilliant game off the bench, Martin looked at home on the big stage, Wiese more than made up for his one error and is one of the big differences for us since July. Steward is a star in the making, Taute is not the liability he seemed to be pre-july. Nadolo is pure class, what an offload - a huge man who plays with intelligence and skill... wonderful. I've probably missed other strong performers.

Plenty to work on too, our receiving of restarts was as bad as I've seen in a professional game, unless McConnochie was just exceptional? We got away with a few in the line-out. Heyes didn't look great at the scrum when he came on but, yes, still young.

Barnes was very good. The frustration comes when he gives (correct) penalties that other refs wouldn't, but every decision he made was in line with the laws. Anyone saying Redpath was at fault for the Taute-Steward collision is wearing heavily tigers tinted glasses. Barely brushed Taute's back. I thought the TMO was good too, if they missed anything then I did too. If you're not happy with Barnes' performance today, you'll never be happy with any referee.

Progress continues, well done Tigers :smt023
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:10 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:08 pm Yes, on how many days training ?!!
2 I think! Imagine how good we could be at our peak. Early days yet but looking good and thankfully Jones is staying at England until at least 2023 😜
The flip side of the full training time is the turn around between the Glaws & Irish games.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Great win, gotta worry the neighbours for next week.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

We lose that game last season. Badly. A lot to like about the apparent ethos SB is enstilling. Most I’ve enjoyed a Tigers game in a good while.

No Taufua or Lavanini either. Was mass hysteria - myself included! - about JT potentially heading off to France last year; makes me feel a lot more confident about our prospects if he or Lavanini were to leave!!!

Wiese rightly MoM. Makes such a difference having that go forward!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:33 pm Henderson did really well but his misdemeanour knocking the ball away that led to the Bath try is unforgivable especially when you have worked so hard all game.
It is entirely forgivable. He’s one of the young players who you rightly complement and he was by far not the only one who made mistakes. But we won the game. And we may well win other games and I can guarantee there will be players who make mistakes in that game.

Eight academy products in the matchday squad. Eight. And we won. That makes my heart sing so Jordan’s ‘mistake’ is not even on the radar.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:37 pm
TigerCam wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:33 pm Henderson did really well but his misdemeanour knocking the ball away that led to the Bath try is unforgivable especially when you have worked so hard all game.
It is entirely forgivable. He’s one of the young players who you rightly complement and he was by far not the only one who made mistakes. But we won the game. And we may well win other games and I can guarantee there will be players who make mistakes in that game.

Eight academy products in the matchday squad. Eight. And we won. That makes my heart sing so Jordan’s ‘mistake’ is not even on the radar.
Isn’t it 9? Cole,OTY,Green,Wells,Martin,YBY,Steward,Heyes,JVP
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Clare?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:52 pm

Clare?
Good shout! So that’s 10?
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:55 pm
Clare?
Don’t forget Ford?!
Henderson was in the academy but I do t think he graduated so not sure if you count him or not
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:55 pm

Clare?
Don’t forget Ford?!
Henderson was in the academy but I do t think he graduated so not sure if you count him or not
Eight starting and three on the bench. TY/Cole/Green/Wells/Martin/BY/Ford/Steward/Clare/Heyes/JVP.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

An awesome effort and everyone who went onto the field was Man Of The Match.
The tactics were spot on: sensible kicking but some good attacking plays too.
I’d say this was the best game on BT this weekend, not just because we won but because in pretty awful conditions the game ebbed and flowed until the very end.
Ben Young’s now has JVP pushing him. White is good but JVP and Wigglesworth are now ahead of him. Steward could be in the 6 Nations and Wells has really come of age.
Now the squad has to get something at Saints: should hopefully be a closer game than our recent 2 efforts at Franklins Gardens.