Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 3rd January 2021 v Bath

Post by Traveller »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:32 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:31 pm Just to add, I thought that JvP did really well when he came on. His delivery and speed of delivery were both excellent and his speed to the base was really good too.
Yes, I expect a certain young Mr White may be a tad worried.
JVP just has that look about him. Absolute class. To the manor born.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Traveller wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:37 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:32 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:31 pm Just to add, I thought that JvP did really well when he came on. His delivery and speed of delivery were both excellent and his speed to the base was really good too.
Yes, I expect a certain young Mr White may be a tad worried.
JVP just has that look about him. Absolute class. To the manor born.
We're not badly stocked at scrum half really, are we.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Bath remind me of Tigers of past seasons.

On paper a lot of quality but not a team and underperform. No where near as bad as we were the last two seasons but there is a parallel.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Very good display by the lads. 14-0 and a man down to come back and win 36-31.. I’ll take that. Shame we couldn’t turn the screw at the death and make it a 5-0 but I’m more than happy with that result that lifts us up to 7th.

Steward was incredible, those kicks by Ford were immense, Wiese was his usual huge carrying self and I thought Van Wyk had a great game. JvP had a great game too as others have mentioned. With Wigglesworth due back for the Saints game we are pretty well stocked at 9. Think White has slipped down the pecking order to number 4 potentially now.. actually thought the Green Wells combo worked pretty well today. Lineout looked more solid when Clare came on but not a bad performance by Youngs.

Not perfect display but given the lack of training and players missing I am very happy with that outcome.

Taufua, Brink, Reffell, De Bruin, Moroni, Porter and Potter all potentially back in contention for the Saints game which will only add more impact off the bench and hopefully will help cut out the terrible first 20 minutes!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

What I feel the difference between the way Borthwick picks youngsters and the way Murphy picks them is that too me at least they have to earn that spot like everyone else with Borthwick.

It isn't used as an excuse if we lose, I genuinely believe that Borthwick is picking players he thinks will win games now not just to see what they could do and give them a learning experience.

I think he saw which players had that mindset in the end of last season, and he obviously sees them training hard and he is giving the players chances, and it's working.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

:smt041

Great display from the lads. No training time and it certainly showed in the first 20 minutes about we settled into a groove after that and were the better team. Nice to see some actual attacking play from us, in the right areas but some actual attacking rugby non the less.

Youngs rolled back the years and actually attacked ball in hand which was nice to see and JVP really has massive potential. Ford added what we desperately needed at 10 whilst Weise, Liebenburg and Steward were excellent as they have been all season.

Nice to see Martin back as well, his work rate was awesome and he put some big shots in.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:43 pm Very good display by the lads. 14-0 and a man down to come back and win 36-31.. I’ll take that. Shame we couldn’t turn the screw at the death and make it a 5-0 but I’m more than happy with that result that lifts us up to 7th.

Steward was incredible, those kicks by Ford were immense, Wiese was his usual huge carrying self and I thought Van Wyk had a great game. JvP had a great game too as others have mentioned. With Wigglesworth due back for the Saints game we are pretty well stocked at 9. Think White has slipped down the pecking order to number 4 potentially now.. actually thought the Green Wells combo worked pretty well today. Lineout looked more solid when Clare came on but not a bad performance by Youngs.

Not perfect display but given the lack of training and players missing I am very happy with that outcome.

Taufua, Brink, Reffell, De Bruin, Moroni, Porter and Potter all potentially back in contention for the Saints game which will only add more impact off the bench and hopefully will help cut out the terrible first 20 minutes!
We have a very good squad now and everyone who comes in is putting his hand up!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

A gutsy win, outstanding team performance and some individual bits of magic, Wiese MOM for me, going to be something special and surely a future springbok.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So unless I’m mistaken we’ve taken 16 points from our last 4 matches. I know we didn’t actually play Newcastle but 3 wins in 3 otherwise is a pretty good run given the dire straits we were in. Slow progress but definitely moving in the right direction
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Indeed. I thought it was a little early to bring him on and was initially worried. The feeling passed almost as quickly as JvP.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:55 pm
Indeed. I thought it was a little early to bring him on and was initially worried. The feeling passed almost as quickly as JvP.
:smt041
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It’s almost as if someone has come in, identified that grit, determination, guts, energy and most importantly...win at all costs is the way forward. It also breeds confidence and a good vibe around the group. At 14-0 it didn’t look good but we stuck in there. I don’t mind the kicking, style of play isn’t needed at the moment. Another test at the allotment coming up but you can guarantee we will be up for it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:05 pm It’s almost as if someone has come in, identified that grit, determination, guts, energy and most importantly...win at all costs is the way forward. It also breeds confidence and a good vibe around the group. At 14-0 it didn’t look good but we stuck in there. I don’t mind the kicking, style of play isn’t needed at the moment. Another test at the allotment coming up but you can guarantee we will be up for it.
Have to admit,if we were 14 down early under Murphy we would’ve conceded a TBP before HT. The fight is there now and that’s half the battle won
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Yes, on how many days training ?!!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Great win, great entertainment - well done all concerned. I do have one gripe though - forget the mixup with the clock in the 1st half but on 3 separate occasions in the 2nd half Barnsie called clock on!!! 1st one took 10 secs before the clock moved, the 2nd not as bad, but was more than 5 secs, but the last Bath penalty for which he had stopped the clock with just over a minute to go, on restart call, the Bath player did not even have the ball in hand, picked it up took a measured kick into touch and the clock started just before the line out throw was taken. I know that these are minor but if you end up losing the game because the clock isn't started when the ref asks for it and points are scored in the "extra time" I would have been really p'd off.
Hehehehehehehehe