LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by TA30 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:56 pm Saying Mamukashvili is a panic buy is definitely early, when we first signed him GM said after the restart he had a niggle, so only played a tiny bit right at the end since the end of the internationals (of which he played in all of them)

Brive we went with the combination that we had the week before

Bayonne we gave Clare a start and the Hooker most in need of game time, Kerr the start too.

Looking at it, with Clare concussed, I could also well believe that Hooker is possibly a position we wouldn't have needed much Covid exposure in this position round the squad for us to be unable to field a team.
No doubt it is too early to judge Shalva on the pitch, the squad does need 4 senior hookers particularly in this non-stop season and Clare and TY have both improved their performances since the restart / Shalva's signing. However, within the management there must be some justification for McGinity getting the boot and I wonder whether this signing is being scrutinised now. That was the real purpose of me mentioning it tbh.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by TA30 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:04 pm Interesting that Kerr wasn’t announced among the re-signings this season and his last one was in the 2018/19 season for 2 years.
I am guessing the following senior players will be out of contract at the end of this season (This is working mainly on the assumption Tigers typically granted 2 year contracts unless stated), would love to hear that we have another year on Tomas & Cole in particular.

2020/21 Expiries
LH:DeBruin
Hooker: Youngs / Kerr / Clare
TH: Cole
Lock: Lavinini / Green
BR: Taufua / Coghlan / Lewis
9: Wigglesworth?
10: Bonilla / McPhillips
12/13:
Back 3: Williams
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

That’s a no to Venter then...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thec ... enter/amp/

Shame. Scored a pretty impressive try for the Cheetahs today. One word to sum him up; rampaging
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers don't tend to announce any years.
I think Lavanini is on a 3 year contract when he joined.

From what I gather MOST internationals get signed to 3 year contracts usually
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:22 pm On Taylor I feel that's it's mainly agent talk from his side.
I also don't think he would be a big money signing really.

He's 29 year old Hooker with 1 England cap in 2016.
He's suffered from injury problems which has kept him from having a run of games.

I would say he's looking at a back up position for most if not all prem teams.
Bath - Dunn
Bristol - Thacker
Exeter - LCD, Yeandle
Gloucester - Singleton
Quins - Baldwin
Irish - Creevy
Falcons - Mcguigan
Sale - Akker
Sarries - George

The thing is with Wasps they have Cruse, Oghre and depending on position Barbeary.
They won't want to pay too much for Taylor, so my feeling is they are in talks with Taylor and playing hardball with him.

NOW who is his agency you might think, well I believe it's Greenroom sports which a certain Wilks brother is still currently involved in. :smt017 so who knows.

Personally I also wonder if Mamu is on a 1 year deal. Montoya from all noise out of tigers is done for next season. I don't know if Youngs is quite ready to call it a day either he's been playing his best rugby since Cockerill left under Borthwick.
I don't think it would be unrealistic to think our Hookers stock being Montoya, Taylor, Youngs and Clare.
Shame we are not looking to recruit Oghre or Barbeary instead. Def ones for the future
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

TA30 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:17 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:56 pm Saying Mamukashvili is a panic buy is definitely early, when we first signed him GM said after the restart he had a niggle, so only played a tiny bit right at the end since the end of the internationals (of which he played in all of them)

Brive we went with the combination that we had the week before

Bayonne we gave Clare a start and the Hooker most in need of game time, Kerr the start too.

Looking at it, with Clare concussed, I could also well believe that Hooker is possibly a position we wouldn't have needed much Covid exposure in this position round the squad for us to be unable to field a team.
No doubt it is too early to judge Shalva on the pitch, the squad does need 4 senior hookers particularly in this non-stop season and Clare and TY have both improved their performances since the restart / Shalva's signing. However, within the management there must be some justification for McGinity getting the boot and I wonder whether this signing is being scrutinised now. That was the real purpose of me mentioning it tbh.
This kind of attitude would be very unusual in a sports club and I think counter productive. Recruitment people should always be judged on their successes not their failures. Everyone, literally every club every season, sign someone who doesn't work out for a number of reasons. It is impossible to do your job if you are asked to sign c.21 players in a single off season then have the inevitable poorer decisions picked apart. I'm more interested in the successful signings of Chessum, Henderson, Kelly, Porter and Potter. These are the kinds of players we want to be picking up each year.

To be clear, commenting upon the speculated attitude that disappointment on high about recruitment would be focused on a small number of squad signings.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

Barbeary tends to play more as a back row now. And from what I’ve heard it would probably cost more than Tigers would be willing to pay to prise him away from Wasps. He’s going nowhere, that I’m fairly confident of.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't really think that the recruitment has been that bad anyway.
Certainly not to justify the boot.
But I do think if Borthwick wants his own guys then that justifies it enough.

Recruitment has been excellent this season.
I don't know who is responable for what signings like
Porter and Potter was prob due to Taylor.
Scott was down to Cockers

What's really good is the amount of young forwards who are showing they are already fine at this level.
Martin, Henderson, Chessum looks like a really good trio espcailly.
Crazy Reffell is only 21
That's half a pack already.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:45 am I don't really think that the recruitment has been that bad anyway.
Certainly not to justify the boot.
But I do think if Borthwick wants his own guys then that justifies it enough.

Recruitment has been excellent this season.
I don't know who is responable for what signings like
Porter and Potter was prob due to Taylor.
Scott was down to Cockers

What's really good is the amount of young forwards who are showing they are already fine at this level.
Martin, Henderson, Chessum looks like a really good trio espcailly.
Crazy Reffell is only 21
That's half a pack already.
Plus Heyes is only 21, which is still very young for a prop.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We have a great potential U25 team
1. Genge
2. Vanes
3. Heyes
4. Henderson
5. Martin
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Wiese
9. JVP
11. Potter
12. Kelly
13. Porter
14. Simmons
15. Steward

Really could do with trying to scout out either a 10 or hope that one of the 4 academy 10's have that promise.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm always surprised when reminded that Liebenberg and Wiese are still so young - they seem much more experienced.

I'm not too worried about not having a teenage fly half prospect - Ford and Henry could be 1st and 2nd choice for the next 5 years.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:58 am I'm always surprised when reminded that Liebenberg and Wiese are still so young - they seem much more experienced.

I'm not too worried about not having a teenage fly half prospect - Ford and Henry could be 1st and 2nd choice for the next 5 years.
I didn't realise Liebenberg and Wiese were that young! Even better signings then! And agreed on Ford and Henry. A great pairing with plenty of years left (hopefully) :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Looking at the online Tigers v Bath programmme on page 48 I notice that Jan McGinity is still listed as our Head of Elite Performance Recruitment, where as I'am delighted if he is still at Tigers but I read that he had unfortunately left the club.. could some one please advise? :smt017
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:25 pm Looking at the online Tigers v Bath programmme on page 48 I notice that Jan McGinity is still listed as our Head of Elite Performance Recruitment, where as I'am delighted if he is still at Tigers but I read that he had unfortunately left the club.. could some one please advise? :smt017
I'm sure he has left, I guess you read it in the "small print" I bet that small print was the least important item to amend when you are under pressure with Covid and staff shortages isolating etc.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Also, suspect that he is still (theoretically) employed by Leicester Tigers but currently on "gardening leave" and working his notice.