Ringfencing NOW upon us ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SthrnTiger

Re: Ringfencing almost upon us ?

Post by SthrnTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:26 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:23 pm I see it as killing the game as a spectacle, half the teams will have little to play for later in the season so it'll be dead rubber games with squads of players you won't recognise. Potential for fringe players to get games, but the standard is likely to drop in those games. Remember how county cricket was until they introduced two leagues and relegation? cricket is much better for it, money men protecting their stash and not caring what happens to the game.
I much prefer the idea of if ringfencing is coming in for it to cover 2 divisions, it means there's things riding on the league, it gives security to the smaller clubs which means they can build towards more teams becoming ready for Premiership rugby, that's more likely to give clubs a chance to build up the standard in the Championship, ok below them the same issues would drop to National 1 instead, but ringfencing 2 divisions would encourage more investors to think that maybe a Championship club is worth investing in rather than it all being tied to 13 clubs.
I think this is the ideal situation but unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough money in the game to sustain two leagues.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

SthrnTiger wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:01 am I think this is the ideal situation but unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough money in the game to sustain two leagues.
EXACTLY! This is what people refuse to acknowledge. Instead we are stuck (currently) where we financially penalise on of the (just about financially viable) teams hugely in the interest of “sport”.

Ring fence, bring back Sarries and see if Trailfinders are “promotable” (after all, they could win automatic promotion) this year, so if they are fit to join, let them in. Allow teams with a viable business model to apply to expand it at a later point.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:37 pm
SthrnTiger wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:01 am I think this is the ideal situation but unfortunately I don’t think there’s enough money in the game to sustain two leagues.
EXACTLY! This is what people refuse to acknowledge. Instead we are stuck (currently) where we financially penalise on of the (just about financially viable) teams hugely in the interest of “sport”.

Ring fence, bring back Sarries and see if Trailfinders are “promotable” (after all, they could win automatic promotion) this year, so if they are fit to join, let them in. Allow teams with a viable business model to apply to expand it at a later point.
Sorry this makes far to much sense, it’ll never get passed!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:06 pm Surely ringfencing for this year would be a very sensible decision, image Tigers catching Covid and loads of our matches called off, we get relegated? I think this year is a must, so that its not a lottery, like the Euros are becoming.
Even more important now?
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

chipnchase wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:30 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:37 pm

Sorry this makes far to much sense, it’ll never get passed!
thats exactly what will be announced in January - teams will be invited to apply for the top league which is open to being 14/15/16 teams if they can meet the necessary criteria which I understand wont change from the current criteria. it is currently understood that only Ealing have a chance of meeting this criteria outside of the 13 clubs.
Less is more....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

How many of the "14" are practical long going concerns is another matter, being propped up by a sugar daddy is not the way forward.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

What is the current criteria? Is it just the stadium size or is there more to it financially?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ads wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:13 pm What is the current criteria? Is it just the stadium size or is there more to it financially?
Think its "Are you prepared to lose a lot of money?"
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:26 pm
ads wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:13 pm What is the current criteria? Is it just the stadium size or is there more to it financially?
:smt005
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:19 pm How many of the "14" are practical long going concerns is another matter, being propped up by a sugar daddy is not the way forward.
Works for 31 of the 32 teams in the NFL to be fair...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:26 pm
I don't see why this is an argument for ring-fencing. What if one of the 14's backers walks away? What if a new backer enters the game and wants to underwrite a 15th club?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I could accept a limited ring-fence if there is such a thing. 14 clubs play next year as a prem so this year there is no relegation with the bottom club playing the top championship club for the right to remain in the prem at the end of the 1st "normal season". Not in favour of a total ring-fence but not sure in my mind how we can protect the clubs during covid whilst still retaining some sort of promotion and relegation
Hehehehehehehehe
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:19 pm How many of the "14" are practical long going concerns is another matter, being propped up by a sugar daddy is not the way forward.
Unfortunately there isn’t really an alternative.
Bunchy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:52 pm it is currently understood that only Ealing have a chance of meeting this criteria outside of the 13 clubs.
And they are firmly in the wrong place (in the vicinity of Quins and LIrish) so have struggled to attract home support.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Ealing without a doubt , are considered 'financially viable ' , by Premiership Rugby.Apparently , (Rugby Paper) intentions to be revealed on Ringfencing in January 2021.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:54 am Ealing without a doubt , are considered 'financially viable ' , by Premiership Rugby.Apparently , (Rugby Paper) intentions to be revealed on Ringfencing in January 2021.
Well of their two regular supporters, one is very rich! :smt001

I just hope they can get more than 1000 fans for any game that isn’t a London derby.

In the Championship (18/19) the only home game they had over 700 was Irish.

They are better off financially - I think - than some prem clubs are, but location and the long-term outlook may be less rosy (their benefactor is quite elderly IIRC; PRL may want some guarantees over what happens next).