Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ads wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:25 pm Because this is Rugby Union and we need to make people feel important!
:smt005 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Much more of this and they might as well suspend or even scrap the rest of the season. With the second strain and third wave creating havoc across the globe, I have little confidence this season can realistically continue.

Happy Christmas!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Firstly I hope everyone is okay, I did wonder if fixtures would be affected by the cancelled fixtures in last weekend’s European competitions.

I do hope that once all priority people are vaccinated, elite sportspeople can then be given the green light to be given the vaccines too, not for sake of convenience but so that clubs don’t lose out on money with cancellations and the high cost of testing as well as perhaps ensuring a quicker return of more fans.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:23 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:56 pm On balance, two match points and zero points difference away to the in form Falcons is probably a good outcome - as long as all the players and staff are ok.

Still, I'd rather have had a game of rugby to watch, and missing out on a really tough game will not help the team's development. Such a shame, but we all knew it was inevitable at some point and we might find there is very little professional rugby played in January and February.
Is that definite about 4-2 points allocation?

It says “ Premiership Rugby will make a further announcement on the allocation of points for the fixture when a panel has been convened.

But, following a rule change in November, the Premiership will no longer automatically award five points to teams when the opposition is unable to field a side because of coronavirus.

League bosses said then that a four-point win would be awarded to the club able to name a side, with two points to the team forced to cancel.

This is the first Premiership postponement since the new season began, although several games have been called off in the two European trophies. “

So if it’s already been decided why does a panel need to be convened?
Nope, I read it somewhere, but I can't vouch for it being 100%.

You would hope it would have been set in stone before the season began, perhaps a panel is required to triple check that the covid related withdrawal is genuine - i.e. not claiming all your players are self isolating because it's the final day of the season and you need 2 points away to Chiefs to jump into 4th place. Bloodgate, Salarycens and The Hand of Back all proved that people are prepared to cheat.

Or perhaps they hadn't actually set it as 4-2 and they're making it up as they go along. Very possible.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:51 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:23 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:56 pm On balance, two match points and zero points difference away to the in form Falcons is probably a good outcome - as long as all the players and staff are ok.

Still, I'd rather have had a game of rugby to watch, and missing out on a really tough game will not help the team's development. Such a shame, but we all knew it was inevitable at some point and we might find there is very little professional rugby played in January and February.
Is that definite about 4-2 points allocation?

It says “ Premiership Rugby will make a further announcement on the allocation of points for the fixture when a panel has been convened.

But, following a rule change in November, the Premiership will no longer automatically award five points to teams when the opposition is unable to field a side because of coronavirus.

League bosses said then that a four-point win would be awarded to the club able to name a side, with two points to the team forced to cancel.

This is the first Premiership postponement since the new season began, although several games have been called off in the two European trophies. “

So if it’s already been decided why does a panel need to be convened?
Nope, I read it somewhere, but I can't vouch for it being 100%.

You would hope it would have been set in stone before the season began, perhaps a panel is required to triple check that the covid related withdrawal is genuine - i.e. not claiming all your players are self isolating because it's the final day of the season and you need 2 points away to Chiefs to jump into 4th place. Bloodgate, Salarycens and The Hand of Back all proved that people are prepared to cheat.

Or perhaps they hadn't actually set it as 4-2 and they're making it up as they go along. Very possible.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55010959

I’d read it here previously so thought it was set in stone but was confused why a panel would need to sit to discuss something that had already been decided
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/n ... d-pandemic

It is in the regulations, I'm guessing that they want to check we "can't" put out a team rather than we don't want to send a very weakened team.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Just found this:

https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/p ... .11.20.pdf

Part C: Consequences of a Cancelled Matches: Premiership League Season
The Panel
1. In the event that the PRL Panel decide that a Referred Match in the League Season is cancelled, or
any governmental authority recommends or requires that a Match in the Premiership League Season
is cancelled (in either case, a “Cancelled League Season Match”), then (without prejudice to any
action which may be taken under or relating to any Covid Minimum Operating Standards):
a. the result of that Cancelled League Season Match shall be deemed to be 0-0; and
b. four league points shall be allocated to Club who was able to play the Cancelled League
Season Match and two league points shall be allocated to the other Club.
2. In the event that the PRL Panel considers that both Clubs may have been unable to fulfil a League
Season Match by reason of Covid-19, then (without prejudice to any action which may be taken under
or relating to any Covid Minimum Operating Standards):
a. the result of that Cancelled League Season Match shall be deemed to be 0-0; and
b. two league points shall be allocated to each Club.
3. The decision of the PRL Panel as to whether it is one or both clubs who have been unable to fulfil
the match, and the decision as to the allocation of points shall be subject to appeal under RFU
Regulation 19.12.6 (and for the purposes of that Regulation, the PRL Panel shall be deemed to be a
Constituent Body Disciplinary Panel).

So yes, it's 4 points to the team not responsible for cancellation, and 2 points for the team that is responsible. The panel just needs to meet to confirm who is responsible - this instance seems pretty straightforward, but it seems reasonable to have a panel as standard just in case it isn't so simple.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:57 pm This season could be decided by Covid Tests.

At some point the premise of competitions becomes pointless surely?
Imagine if they say it would be unfair to relegate anyone due to covid but promoted Saracens and Ealing before closing the door :smt002 :smt002
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Really hope all concerned are okay.
The last piece of new we wanted to hear , however.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

2 points from an away game you really can see the improvement, usually we are lucky to get a LBP in a loss let alone a TBP as well!

Honestly it's a shame would've been a good test for us.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

chipnchase wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:28 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:57 pm This season could be decided by Covid Tests.

At some point the premise of competitions becomes pointless surely?
Imagine if they say it would be unfair to relegate anyone due to covid but promoted Saracens and Ealing before closing the door :smt002 :smt002
Is what I'm fully expecting to happen!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Bath vs Irish now off too! Irish returned positive cases and have more players exhibiting symptoms :smt017
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Time for PRL to wake up to reality....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:33 pm Time for PRL to wake up to reality....
I think hiatus 2 for the league will be in place very soon...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

This virus is getting farcical now!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer