Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:29 am The lack of the trio of England players does make you wonder if this weekend & Falcons are their 2 weeks off.

We consistently look better with a 7 at 7 so we need to select accordingly, if we aren't going to select Reffell or Wallace there, then Taufua next, Brink just doesn't look right at 7.
Do the 2 weeks need to be consecutive?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Winning is a great habit and the Newcastle result Vs Castres will certainly do them no harm to either their confidence or self belief.We are looking ,right now at a hard , but still winnable game come Boxing Day.
Seriously, on paper ,we should fear no one as we have more than enough to compete when at full strength.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:38 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:29 am The lack of the trio of England players does make you wonder if this weekend & Falcons are their 2 weeks off.

We consistently look better with a 7 at 7 so we need to select accordingly, if we aren't going to select Reffell or Wallace there, then Taufua next, Brink just doesn't look right at 7.
Do the 2 weeks need to be consecutive?
That's how I read it & would seem to be the most logical way of doing it, not convinced by our way of managing it, although arguably at present Bath look a more obvious contender at the bottom of the league. For me we need a minimum of 5 points from Bath & Falcons.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:41 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:33 pm Agree with putting out our strongest 23 - need some momentum and to start proving we can win against the sides in the top part of the table.

Based on the team picked for this weekend, and the teams picked by Borthwick so far I can see something like this being picked:

1 - Genge
2 - Youngs
3 - Cole
4 - Lavanini
5 - Wells
6 - Liebenberg
7 - Reffell
8 - Wiese
9 - Youngs
10 - Ford
11 - Nadolo
12 - Scott
13 - Moroni
14 - van Wyk / Murimurivalu / Potter
15 - Steward

16 - Mamukashvili
17 - Leatigaga
18 - de Bruin
19 - Taufua
20 - Brink
21 - White
22 - Henry
23 - Porter

Arguably the second wing spot is the most up in the air for me. No one has really nailed down a marker, yet I wouldn’t be unhappy with either of those three starting as all have shown glimpses of good things from what I’ve seen.
What you thinking for lock cover? Liebenberg? Might need a bit more cover in the second row potentially
Geordan Murphy, said: "Blake is a strong addition to the club ahead of the new season and brings with him a wealth of experience from Super Rugby. He's a big, physical and hard-working player, which is what we want in our pack, and someone our fans should be thrilled to see joining the club. A big, tall lineout caller and strong, physical addition the scrum, who enjoys the hard stuff in the game in both attack and defence … it’s what you want in a lock! He will bring an edge. In our dealings with Blake so far we have been impressed by him as a young man who will add much more than what he offers on the pitch to our club and that is important to us as we move forward on our journey.”
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

When did we last win back to back away games?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:06 am When did we last win back to back away games?
Early 2018.. we won away to Sarries, Worcester then Bath. Also the last time we have won more than 3 in a row!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That season we won more away games than at home.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Why not Green as a starting lock on the pitch he performed best on? Also he may have an idea of where the ball may be going in line outs
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:44 am Why not Green as a starting lock on the pitch he performed best on? Also he may have an idea of where the ball may be going in line outs
In the style of Slater for Glaws after he was pushed out of Tigers you mean, maybe other clubs change their lineout calls.....
Green at present seems to be the lineout caller & his performances have been more what we expected recently, you need you solid no frills players in your team, the pitch knowledge is another very good point...horrible things that they are.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

On the subject of lineout callers, I thought this was an area Henderson excelled in yesterday.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I'm licking my lips at this one.
Strongest Tigers team available please including bench.
Best tonic for the Christmas blues. No silly pens and please ,if the Faff is available for Falcons, don't give him an easy game where he can influence.

:smt114
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

wellstiger wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:40 pm if the Faff is available for Falcons, don't give him an easy game where he can influence.

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Faff.....the only Faff I can think of is the Sale scrum half.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:33 pm
wellstiger wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:40 pm if the Faff is available for Falcons, don't give him an easy game where he can influence.

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Faff.....the only Faff I can think of is the Sale scrum half.
Have we missed a mid-season move a-la D Cipriani :smt044
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:33 pm Need to take into account the plastic pitch & any dodgy lower limbs, not sure I would risk Brink, Moroni or Taute.
It’s absolutely ridiculous that this is a consideration. I despise these pitches! Every single team should play on grass.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

When are the team announcements for this game?