Premiership rejects BT TV offer

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Premiership rejects BT TV offer

Post by Old Hob »

BT Sports has warned it may lose the right to broadcast after having a "final offer" rejected. Premiership Rugby Ltd (PRL) turned down an offer from BT of a 4 year extension to the existing deal for about the same £40 million a year fee. BT believes the offer to be generous, it is reported. However, in May 2019 when PRL sold 27% of its shares to CVC Capital the firm believed it could sell the rights for more and attract better commercial deals. Darren Childs is the boss and he was chief executive of UKTV and he brought several former colleagues with him with the aim of securing higher broadcast income.

Mick Crossan, owner of London Irish, claimed Amazon has thrown its hat into the ring but it is not thought they have made an offer.

BT has signalled to its presenters that it is ready to walk away.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership rejects BT TV offer

Post by RagingBull »

Well if I can save about £280 a year on a channel that I only use for rugby currently then I will be very happy.
I already use Amazon Prime so the saving will be more.
That's basically pays for my Season ticket.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:19 am Well if I can save about £280 a year on a channel that I only use for rugby currently then I will be very happy.
Same here :smt023
A2O
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Am I correct in thinking that the BT deal runs out at the end of this season?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:33 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:19 am Well if I can save about £280 a year on a channel that I only use for rugby currently then I will be very happy.
And me would be massively happy with Amazon becoming the defacto home of rugby given
a) I'm already a Prime member.
b) It's cheaper than Sky or BT subscriptions
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:12 am
And me would be massively happy with Amazon becoming the defacto home of rugby given
The only downside is that you cannot record it on prime
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 am

You can normally watch the game back on Amazon Prime on the same weekend. I'd imagine they'd launch a rugby hub where you can watch the games, highlights and associated shows on stream as well. With a bit of luck they'd pick up the BT presenters as well.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 am

If the Autumn Nations Cup is anything to go by though, you can watch from start if you missed the beginning, and matches are available on demand within an hour or two of finishing.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Darren Childs is an absolute waste of space in the current environment.

He tried to play hard ball with BT hoping Sky would create a rugby only channel like they have with Golf, Premier League and F1 however they decided it wasn't commercially viable.

BT have come back to the table and he's holding out hope that Amazon will pick up Prem rights but I think their focus is very much around internationals and more likely than not they will want to bid big for the six nations as it guarantees viewers.

In the current climate they are probably better off developing the offer with BT sport, more televised matches wouldn't go a miss in return for a bit more income.

Even when people are allowed back in stadiums there is no guarantee they'll want to stand shoulder to shoulder in the stands any time soon.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I should add however I'd prefer to see everything on one channel.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

chipnchase wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:27 am I should add however I'd prefer to see everything on one channel.
Yes all this red button stuff is pants. Poor quality picture, no half or full time analysis and no option to record
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

My disgruntlement with BT Sport's coverage is well known and if it goes to Amazon I'll be more than happy to switch as I'm the only family member who uses it anyway and its price is nowhere near value for money.

My only hope is that Amazon don't swoop up the BT team... no one needs the shocking bias of Dallaglio and Healey, or the dull afters of Ben Kay, or the shallow and nonexistent presenting of Elgan & Craig Doyle and the irrelevant, uninspiring and irritating commentary of Nick Mullins et al.

However I don't mind Bayfield, Monye, O'Driscoll or Flatman.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:57 am My disgruntlement with BT Sport's coverage is well known and if it goes to Amazon I'll be more than happy to switch as I'm the only family member who uses it anyway and its price is nowhere near value for money.

My only hope is that Amazon don't swoop up the BT team... no one needs the shocking bias of Dallaglio and Healey, or the dull afters of Ben Kay, or the shallow and nonexistent presenting of Elgan & Craig Doyle and the irrelevant, uninspiring and irritating commentary of Nick Mullins et al.

I I have to disagree with you regarding Nick Mullins and Alistair Ekyn (?) for that matter. Personal preference I know, but I think they are far superior to their Sky TV predecessors. Miles Harrison anyone? Dear me, no. As to the pundits, give me Flats and Benny Kayser any day. Quite like Ugo as well.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I'll adapt to most presenters. However there is one up with whom I will not put.

Yes, you've got it - Lawrence (master of stating the ********* obvious) Dallaglio. I find it better to watch with the commentary turned down when he's on.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:46 am
JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:57 am My disgruntlement with BT Sport's coverage is well known and if it goes to Amazon I'll be more than happy to switch as I'm the only family member who uses it anyway and its price is nowhere near value for money.

I I have to disagree with you regarding Nick Mullins and Alistair Ekyn (?) for that matter. Personal preference I know, but I think they are far superior to their Sky TV predecessors. Miles Harrison anyone? Dear me, no. As to the pundits, give me Flats and Benny Kayser any day. Quite like Ugo as well.
On pundits for me Flatman is the best by a mile. I also think Sam Warburton is very good, who despite not playing for Wales long ago manages to be completely unbiased. For commentators Andrew Cotter is my favourite though don’t have a problem with Mullins or Ekyn.

Not trying to be politically correct but genuinely think some of the female pundits are pretty good such as Maggie Alphonso. The advantage they have compared to the likes of Dallagio and Healey is not carrying around the massive egos so actually make some insightful comments.