George Ford and tactics

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford and tactics

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:14 am Counter attacking from your own half has definitely decreased recently. Is that because chase defences are so much better and there is less space and it's too risky (plus breakdown rules etc as GF describes), or is it because your team tactics are to kick it back, therefore your teammates haven't retreated far enough to give you support if you're tackled, therefore you have no option but to kick?

Chicken or egg?
GF has a fair point about the ruck.
Willis for example I think is often not balanced with head lower than hips.
I always thought the way the jackal is supposed to be attempted was with the head at least level with hip height.
When I played if you identified an illegal jackal player then you'd foot ruck over him, nowadays it looks near impossible to shift the jackal player off and even if they can it's just slow ball.
Other than that it's not massively different to how it's always been in that some teams have always wanted to ideally attack out if the range of their own posts.
What really frustrates with England are Farrell's 50/50 kicks with good attacking ball, but I kind if get why he does it as with ball through the hands England often make a complete hash of good scoring chances.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Lets face it successful or not, most people on here get frustrated at the amount of kicking that happens in the modern game.

I have an idea (not sure how good an idea it is but that's for people on here to state)

When kicking, instead of the offside line being level with the kicker (or furthest forward onside player) make it so all other chasers bar the kicker have to get at some point in the chase 10 yards behind the kicker.

I think this could help in a number of ways.

1. It essentially puts the kick chase 10 yards further back so less real ground would be made up.
2. It forces the kicker to have to chase more, so often we see the fly half or fullback kick but let the wingers etc chase the kick, by massively encouraging them to be the one chasing the kick it meas they are not in the position to receive the next kick.
3. Kicking under pressure at risk of charge down would be a big risk, if you're charged down even if they miss the ball but stop you (Sir would need to be very hot that they don't take kickers late) essentially teammates would possibly need to retreat yards before they chase if there aren't any coming from deep enough.
4. Kick chase is much harder to organize, likelihood is that the catcher only has to step one guy to get a bit of space.
5. Most times you're kicking the ball tends to be in kickable range. People not sure if they're 10 will possibly be erring on side of caution.
6. Bad kicks that don't travel far enough are heavily punished as you will have to retreat

Key disadvantage, I see
1. 10 yards (or whatever chosen distance) is hard to judge on the fly for officials don't want to see the TMO always barging in on it
2. We may lose the grubber or attacking little dink completely as it would be very hard to do.
3. Tap and go free kicks (for penalties I'd remove this requirement and say behind kicker is fine) would be less likely too.

Look in all honesty I'm not sure if it would work, and certainlyhasn't been throught through from every angle, but I really hope that the authorities are investigating options of how to improve the game so they should be considering any and all options.

Thoughts? (won't take it personally if this is shot down in flames)

Other rule change ideas?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Or much easier to officiate. You are offside until the kicker plays you on not anybody behind the kicker. Stops the flying winger whipping past the forwards second after the ball goes up meaning they can all chase. Should slow the defensive line down but not necessarily the back three chase. You still get the aerial dual but if you win that then there should be some more space to exploit as you don't immediately hit the opposition's defensive line.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Or we can get back to running rugby as we saw at this weekends Euro cup.It does work ans is exciting to watch.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 pm If you watch the Saints Bristol game you can see that open, attacking rugby IS possible. Stacks of ball in hand, both sides running it and no silly kicking.
Not really working for Saints though is it. Would you prefer to see a game like that and be 12th in the table or a kick fest and not be 12th?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

As for Saints, it doesn't matter what style of rugby you play, they lost the game against Bordeaux because no one could be bothered to sweep up the loose ball after the rebound and only Cordero pounced.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:19 am As for Saints, it doesn't matter what style of rugby you play, they lost the game against Bordeaux because no one could be bothered to sweep up the loose ball after the rebound and only Cordero pounced.
Off topic I know but one interesting thing from the sinners game was how trim Nayivirro (spelling I know!) looked.
To win is not as important as playing with style!