Six Nations to go to Sky? - Updated 19th May 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Six Nations to go to Sky

Post by kk20gb30 »

'The Rugby Paper' (13/12/20 , Adam Hathaway) makes Amazon a viable contenders for TV rights to the six Nations tournament come 2022 following recent statements from the RFU praising their business model.By all accounts Amazon remain potentially open to shared coverage with Terrestrial Television in a similar manner to the recent Autumn Nations Cup.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:42 am 'The Rugby Paper' (13/12/20 , Adam Hathaway) makes Amazon a viable contenders for TV rights to the six Nations tournament come 2022 following recent statements from the RFU praising their business model.By all accounts Amazon remain potentially open to shared coverage with Terrestrial Television in a similar manner to the recent Autumn Nations Cup.
As a Prime customer but not a sky customer this suits me.

My question is where does Amazon sit in terms of commercial premises?

BusinessPrime does not give Prime TV access I don't think?

Can a pub/rugby club use a household login? Or is there a commercial premises subscription for prime?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

For what it's worth the coverage of cricket by Sky is infinitely better than the BBC covered it.
None of the repeated interruptions to show a horse racing.

Given the gross extensions to a day's play that occurs I doubt terrestrial TV would be willing to cover an event that lasts all day and then gets extended so that sides can take forever to bowl their overs.

The flip side is that a lot of the audience has gone and may well never come back as the youngsters who would watch it during the school holidays won't get drawn in.

Rugby internationals may not be the same. It's a niche sport, and a handful of games are hard to justify the licence fee on.
I won't want to watch Italy v Scotland or France. I'll watch the England games. Unlike club rugby where you see many sides several times a season so I will watch more than just the Tiger's games, the internationals don't hold the same level of interest.

It may well not be a good revenue earner for the TV companies.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

So here's the thing. We still have the old debate regarding BBC and the offensive Licence Fee in an age of subscription Tv viewing.If they are now loosing the generic sports franchises they are all but finished .
I have BT and Prime (Fire stick) so therefore get Now tv as a bolt on so (Sky comes complete). Cheaper options than a Sky subscription which I cancelled last year.
I also pull in at least 4 home games as I now live SW ( COVID exempt)
I do feel for those of us that cannot afford a subscription package and will miss out.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:53 am Bad news all round, Rugby Paper reporting that Six Nations is to go behind a paywall and the BBC & ITV are barred from joining together to keep it terrestrial, Sky favourites with a £300 million bid.
Has to be better than Amazon Prime .... oh wait Stuart Barnes and Dick Harrison :smt009 :smt010 :smt011
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

If BBC and ITV cannot put together a joint bid surely that goes against anti competition rules?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

An awful lot has changed since I started this thread in March... I enjoyed the coverage of the Autumn Nations Cup by Amazon and would prefer them to Sky. Furthermore, the idea of Channel 4 still having one or two games does make it tolerable but it will be a shame to not have the Six Nations on the BBC anymore, hopefully it means they will extend their coverage of the women's ruggers though!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I for one do not think that the BBC deserves the 6 Nations these days. The BBC has shown that it is only interested in showing the crown jewels of sport and not interested in investing in the game at club level. Rugby Special is long gone and the BBC coffers seem only interested in financing football at exorbitant costs. Add to that the way rugby is treated on the radio. Even the most insignificant football match is enough to bump and rugby (6 Nations included) to sports extra.

The rights to the 6 Nations should be seen as a reward for supporting the game at all levels. If you are paying to show club rugby then you should be seen as a preferential bidder for international rights in my opinion.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BT, Amazon, Sky and the standard channels - I struggle to keep up with what's on what. And if I subscribed to them all it would cost a fortune. I've resorted to other means.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Snorbins wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:31 am If BBC and ITV cannot put together a joint bid surely that goes against anti competition rules?
I would imagine that bids have to be independently submitted? I thought Amazon Prime did a good job on the AIs I can cope with that and my subs to BT. If Sky get it then it will be the highlight show for me. If I had my way I bin Sky but my other half deems it necessary!!!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I’ve always thought the 6N was among the Crown Jewels sporting events. It’d be a shame if it were no longer on terrestrial tv. I don’t think there’s any such talk over here that the 6N will go to Canal+ pay tv. If it did, there’d be protests up and down the country!
Semper in excretia
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

....Perhaps not.Possibly some good news on the horizon as it appears that The BBC and ITV are close to retaining the TV Rights to the tournament :

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... e-20627515
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Looks like we will know next week. Fingers crossed :smt045
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes fingers crossed!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Six Nations to go to Sky? - Updated 19th May 2021

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57201738

Beeb reporting they and ITV have kept it
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.