Tigers vs Brive

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by Ian Cant »

Quite a few fans have mentioned Newcastle: Deano put out a much changed side.
He has learnt from the last time Newcastle were in good form and tried to compete in 2 major competitions.
Only one result matters to them: beat Tigers and relegation will look a long way off.
Lose to Tigers and their confidence will be rocked.
So for Tigers: win next week but the Newcastle game is the one that we will know what progress is being made.
As for the internationals: we have to believe, like we did years ago, that whatever side we put out will win. That is the way forward.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:08 pm Quite a few fans have mentioned Newcastle: Deano put out a much changed side.
He has learnt from the last time Newcastle were in good form and tried to compete in 2 major competitions.
Only one result matters to them: beat Tigers and relegation will look a long way off.
Lose to Tigers and their confidence will be rocked.
So for Tigers: win next week but the Newcastle game is the one that we will know what progress is being made.
As for the internationals: we have to believe, like we did years ago, that whatever side we put out will win. That is the way forward.
Yes Newcastle is WAY more important than Bayonne for me. As long as we get at least a point in France we are still in the mix.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

For once it was an enjoyable game to watch, particularly after strengthening the front row in the second half. We clearly have a decent squad in place and as others have said we can only expect improvements as the newcomers have more training and game time together.

I would like to see us go all out to win next week in order to gain confidence and a bit of 'go forward' momentum. We have enough strength in depth to do this and still put out a strong team when we return to the home competition. I think SB knows what he is doing and from his day to day observations is more than capable of picking the teams to do the business. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would probably give the England players their 2 weeks off, would like to see Mamukashvili involved, however I wouldn't change the squad too much, we need momentum going to the Newcastle game as well as our away fixture hoodoo.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Just seen the result and am encouraged with a bp win.
Semper in excretia
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:52 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:21 am
Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:52 am

Yes, so about the same points. Therefore, based on score alone, no progress. :smt017
Yes but last year we had a consistent squad, by virtue of the fact this was Moroni's first game since March 7th

Bonilla's first start since March 7th

Lavannini & Taufua first starts since injuries

De Bruin's debut.

This team has further scope to develop and progress than last year's team.

The way I look at it we've brought a new team together and since the start of summer and have already reached the levels of last season. While still having more to show.

For me that is good progress forward
Hence the other part of my post about "lots of faces new to each other" in mitigation. I'm very confused that people seem to think they're disagreeing with me but saying pretty much exactly the same as me.

Me: Similar score to similar game last year.
MCC1964: No, we scored a similar amount of points in that similar game last year.
Me: However lots of our players were new to each other.
Tigerfeetsteve: Hold on a minute, don't forget that lots of our players were new to each other.

:smt023
I’m going to pass at this point. The nit has certainly been picked.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Have to say deciding on that 23 shirt will be tough.
For me
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
15. Steward

Are our outright starting backs.

Then bench
21. Wigg
22. Henry
Could be any of Murimurivalu, Potter, Porter, Taute or Van Wyk.

I liked what Murimurivalu brought on the wing because he covered for Steward at 15.
Potter IMO has been the form winger of the first 3 games
But Porter versatility has been very impressive
Taute has been doing a good job with the defensive line.
van Wyk had a good start but really suffered v Irish.
I guess for the 23 shirt their might be a question on how many positions Taute and Van Wyk could cover compared to Murimurivalu, Porter and Potter.

Personally I would lean towards Potter starting with Murimurivalu or Porter on the bench.

Could depend on the team we are against I guess if they have more route 1 runners maybe have Taute there, if they have more dynamic runners the other players.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

there will be games where young Steward needs to drop out simply to manage his levels, despite his size he is still a young man and we need to be careful with him
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:46 pm Have to say deciding on that 23 shirt will be tough.
For me
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
15. Steward

Then bench
21. Wigg
22. Henry

I liked what Murimurivalu brought on the wing because he covered for Steward at 15.
I guess for the 23 shirt their might be a question on how many positions Taute and Van Wyk could cover compared to Murimurivalu, Porter and Potter.

Personally I would lean towards Potter starting with Murimurivalu or Porter on the bench.

Could depend on the team we are against I guess if they have more route 1 runners maybe have Taute there, if they have more dynamic runners the other players.
Best thing about this for me is that apart from 9 and 10, everyone will be around (injury permitting) for the rest of the season as unlikely to be called up for six nations duty and no Fiji/Puma games til the summer. Can’t way to see these partnerships build!
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

It’s a strange thing to type, but as others have said, I thought the ref was really good. He was constantly chatting to the players and giving advice on what he wants. Impressed by him.
Win was great, so need to kick on and not have the usual one win and 2 loses.
Solid centres and some backs moves. Can’t complain about Tigers tries and a good win.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:54 pm It’s a strange thing to type, but as others have said, I thought the ref was really good. He was constantly chatting to the players and giving advice on what he wants. Impressed by him.
Solid centres and some backs moves. Can’t complain about Tigers tries and a good win.
I agree, but I wonder how much more we heard because of the absence of a crowd (us, yelling our heads off) and the yakkety yak of the commentators. I assume the commentators mikes are turned up and the effects mikes down because I often hear them apologise for bad language that I haven't heard. I also find it hard to make out what the ref is saying and I thought it was because I was a bit deaf. Not last night,
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:05 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:54 pm It’s a strange thing to type, but as others have said, I thought the ref was really good. He was constantly chatting to the players and giving advice on what he wants. Impressed by him.
I agree, but I wonder how much more we heard because of the absence of a crowd (us, yelling our heads off) and the yakkety yak of the commentators. I assume the commentators mikes are turned up and the effects mikes down because I often hear them apologise for bad language that I haven't heard. I also find it hard to make out what the ref is saying and I thought it was because I was a bit deaf. Not last night,
Love how much extra we heard. Ellis Genge for the comment of the night!!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:46 pm Have to say deciding on that 23 shirt will be tough.
For me
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
15. Steward

Then bench
21. Wigg
22. Henry

It's a nice problem to have.. makes a change hey! Personally I'd go for Porter at 12, Murimurivalu at 14 (once he's settled in I think he will be an outstanding signing) and Potter or Van Wyk at 23. Have been impressed by the new look Taute and Scott has always been solid. No complaints about any of them to be honest.

It's a bit like the best 4-8 combo! Spoiled for choice and a tough call..

4. Lavanini
6. Liebenberg
7. Taufua/Reffell
8. Wiese

20. Brink
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

It's strange how we can take completely different conclusions from the same game.

Until Ben scored on 65mins I was thinking to myself that this might be the most insipid, uninspired game I could remember. There was next to nothing to get excited about.

Then, a late flurry of points and hey, it's progress!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:05 pm
I really wish I could hear it, I am old and have to wear hearing aids to join in a group conversation, my computer does not allow me to increase volume to such a level, my wife is very pleased by that, but its good to have had the chance to watch but prefer it on TV. Was not happy with all the pens we gave away early, bit too much kicking again and toward the end players showed how good they can run with the ball. Better mixture needed.