Better without a TMO?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Better without a TMO?

Post by Tigerbeat »

If you want to watch rugby without a TMO, you could always support your local club. The TMO picks up things that should be penalised there and then and generally they come to the right decision most of the time. The TMO is not going away.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:00 pm Be careful what you wish for, it's never going back :smt023

Sorry, but it's ridiculous to complain that humans are capable of making mistakes, then complain when they're given extra help.
Haha fair point. Though not sure my opinion had a big bearing on World rugbys decision making.

Is it ridiculous to ask for some clearer guidelines on use though? A problem is that (it appears at least) that TMOs have a directive to intervene if they see any mistakes but not interfere too much to disrupt the game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Was it just our game? The early rounds of this competition? Be nice if here was a few more games so we could look at it from a broader perspective
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

SthrnTiger wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:10 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:00 pm Be careful what you wish for, it's never going back :smt023

Sorry, but it's ridiculous to complain that humans are capable of making mistakes, then complain when they're given extra help.
Haha fair point. Though not sure my opinion had a big bearing on World rugbys decision making.

Is it ridiculous to ask for some clearer guidelines on use though? A problem is that (it appears at least) that TMOs have a directive to intervene if they see any mistakes but not interfere too much to disrupt the game.
Not at all, I agree there needs to be greater consistency in how and when the TMO gets involved.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:15 pm Was it just our game? The early rounds of this competition? Be nice if here was a few more games so we could look at it from a broader perspective
I think it's whenever a game isn't televised and they don't have the cameras required for TMO - so probably quite a few of the group stage matches.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:15 am
SthrnTiger wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:04 am When introduced I thought TMOs were a good thing to try to get things ‘right’. The Brive game was the first game in a long time I’ve watched that didn’t have a TMO and I actually think it made it much better.

Unlike some on here I rarely have a complaint about the refs as although some are better than others they all at least seem to be attempting to be consistent. It’s the sporadic involvement of the TMOs that’s annoying (don’t get me started on the Toulon game).

Yes there were a few knock-ons from both sides that were missed and some forward passes but overall game flowed much better and these things tend to even out.

Would I accept Tigers being beaten in the last minute of a European Cup with a try that should have been disallowed? I think on balance yes if made game much better to watch.

Interested to know others views?
My biggest concern was during the scuffle with Youngs, I thought (but couldn't be sure without replay) I saw a swinging arm.

Without TMO I think that players will reintroduce foul play that has been all but remo
No need for a TMO when your mates backing you up happen to be Nadolo, Genge and Stewart 😂
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I started out being 101% in favour of a TMO, and bit by bit, have come to dread the interminable slow-mo replays. I abominate the TMO auto-reffing the game, and actually cheered watching Wuss-Tigers a couple of years ago when Barnesy declined the TMO on a couple of occasions, and indeed went the whole match without consulting .
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

The City been playing without VAR in Europe and I’ve found that more enjoyable as well. It’s nice knowing when you score, and the ref has given it, there isn’t a nasty twist to come. You can actually cheer in sync with the score and not a minute later when the review is completed. Yes there will be mistakes but I can handle Sir making them. It’s when Mr TMO picks when to intervene and when not to that winds me up. The latest game against Exeter a prime example.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I really think we should be fair and call out that massive forward pass, we would have done so if the opposition had scored in that way, and not just brushed it off as evening out in a season. We cannot just say refs had a good game just because we won, it looked to me that he did very well, even though I could not hear, but we seem to call out refs so often when we lose, fairs fair.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:14 pm I really think we should be fair and call out that massive forward pass, we would have done so if the opposition had scored in that way, and not just brushed it off as evening out in a season. We cannot just say refs had a good game just because we won, it looked to me that he did very well, even though I could not hear, but we seem to call out refs so often when we lose, fairs fair.
Strangely, the general consensus after the Glouc game was that sir did well in that one too (apart from the yellow card for Tigers).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:14 pm I really think we should be fair and call out that massive forward pass, we would have done so if the opposition had scored in that way, and not just brushed it off as evening out in a season. We cannot just say refs had a good game just because we won, it looked to me that he did very well, even though I could not hear, but we seem to call out refs so often when we lose, fairs fair.
I think that’s a bit unfair to say that the consensus is he only had a good game because we won. I thought he was very good in general either way. Really only fault him for one scrum decision.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:03 pm If you want to watch rugby without a TMO, you could always support your local club. The TMO picks up things that should be penalised there and then and generally they come to the right decision most of the time. The TMO is not going away.
To be fair there are better forms of technology out there in other sports which could be adapted for the Refs to use.
The TMO has to much influence on the games and has brought a level of laziness and incompetence to how the Refs manage the game.
I for one would let the Ref manage the game without any other influence from the assistant refs and only get the TMO involved for issues like grounding of the ball or foul play.
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:38 pm
I think that’s a bit unfair to say that the consensus is he only had a good game because we won. I thought he was very good in general either way. Really only fault him for one scrum decision.
And when was the last time that a referee was thought to have had a good game in a Tigers defeat?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:14 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:38 pm
And when was the last time that a referee was thought to have had a good game in a Tigers defeat?
Not sure,but I’ve never been one of those that blames the ref when we lose. We lose because most of the time we have been completely pish 😂
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The general tone seems to be either:

When we win - "Oh and I thought the ref had a good game, can't remember him getting much wrong"

or

When we lose - "The ref was terrible, so many errors, unacceptable, but that's not why we lost"

I'm not saying we blame every defeat on the referee, but that when we lose we remember all those decisions that we thought were wrong. We're in a bad mood because we lost, so we get angry about them. When we win, we're in a good mood so we forget about all the little things.

It's a bit like when someone does something irritating on the road - if you're having a great day thus far, you generally don't mind. If you're having a rubbish day, trod on some lego at 6am and the dog pooed on the kitchen floor again, you're probably going to have a bit more road rage and a lot less empathy.