Tigers vs Brive

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:47 pm I see Newcastle's winning run has been ended tonight, right time for a European break to bring them down to earth too...
Looks fairly comprehensive too.. 33-20 to Cardiff
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:48 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:47 pm The big positive for me is that we seem to be developing into a big, nasty pack. The back play remains WIP but if we can continue to dominate up front we are going to be hard to beat which is the fundamentals you need to start the “journey”
That pack! Genge De Bruin Lavanini Liebenberg Brink Taufua Wiese.. some big hitters in there for sure!
Not sure it's Prem legal though is it?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Sir was really good, communicated well.
White was the better 9 tonight & for me has been for sometime in a Tigers shirt.
Lineout still very patchy.
I think the Brive bench front row were not much to write home about, when we do that to a decent front 5 fair enough, I think the large Argentine lump in the 2nd row helps at scrum time at huge amount, the jury is still out on who to play with him.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Moose wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:51 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:47 pm The big positive for me is that we seem to be developing into a big, nasty pack. The back play remains WIP but if we can continue to dominate up front we are going to be hard to beat which is the fundamentals you need to start the “journey”
That pack! Genge De Bruin Lavanini Liebenberg Brink Taufua Wiese.. some big hitters in there for sure!
Was just saying those players stand out as some really big hitters rather than playing that exact pack.. would love to see Liebenberg Brink Taufua and Wiese all playing together but not sure it would give us the best balance
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Am I right in saying Reffell's concussion aside we now also have a fully fit squad?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:55 pm

Was just saying those players stand out as some really big hitters rather than playing that exact pack.. would love to see Liebenberg Brink Taufua and Wiese all playing together but not sure it would give us the best balance
Be interested to see how Liebenberg got on in the row - I know he's done it before, but don't think I've seen him play there - think that would be the only way to get them all on the pitch at the same time (short of a 4 man backrow!).
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:57 pm Am I right in saying Reffell's concussion aside we now also have a fully fit squad?
Wallace?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 pm the jury is still out on who to play with him.
Enever :smt017

Wells and Green are solid squad players but like the other thread is debating I'm not sure we've seen all that Enever has to offer.. would like to see more of him. Jury is still out though as you say
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:57 pm Am I right in saying Reffell's concussion aside we now also have a fully fit squad?
Wallace?
Didn't he have COVID? If so I reckon he must be fully fit again now or nearly there..
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Bit disappointed in that somehow. Thought we could have kicked to the corner rather than taking pens and put it through the hands a bit more. Not just because it's better to watch but because I just thought it was tactically the right thing to do.

I thought we were defensively a bit weak when Steward spilled it.

On the flip side some of those guys must barely know each other's names and so games like this are good stepping stones.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:59 pm
Wallace?
Didn't he have COVID? If so I reckon he must be fully fit again now or nearly there..
Think so but if you get it fairly badly it can knock you and 2 weeks not training or keeping fit takes a while to recover, we'll see if he plays in the development game vs Sarries
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Moose wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Be interested to see how Liebenberg got on in the row - I know he's done it before, but don't think I've seen him play there - think that would be the only way to get them all on the pitch at the same time (short of a 4 man backrow!).
He has played there before you're right and it could be some scrum if we tried it but I think he seems to be making the 6 jersey his own so I would be tempted to leave him there. We seem to be well stocked 1-3 and 6-8 but perhaps are perhaps one quality lock short of a... well whatever is counted in locks!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

ourla wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 pm Bit disappointed in that somehow. Thought we could have kicked to the corner rather than taking pens and put it through the hands a bit more. Not just because it's better to watch but because I just thought it was tactically the right thing to do.

On the flip side some of those guys must barely know each other's names and so games like this are good stepping stones.
Really? Oh :censored:! Some people!!!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:03 pm
Moose wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:58 pm

He has played there before you're right and it could be some scrum if we tried it but I think he seems to be making the 6 jersey his own so I would be tempted to leave him there. We seem to be well stocked 1-3 and 6-8 but perhaps are perhaps one quality lock short of a... well whatever is counted in locks!
A vault?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:04 pm
ourla wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:00 pm Bit disappointed in that somehow. Thought we could have kicked to the corner rather than taking pens and put it through the hands a bit more. Not just because it's better to watch but because I just thought it was tactically the right thing to do.

Really? Oh :censored:! Some people!!!!
Some free flowing running rugby and a 50-0 drubbing would have been great but personally I'm pretty happy with the positives and the steps in the right direction.. a 39-17, 5-0, fairly comprehensive victory in the end, some impressive individual performances and a monster scrum.. oh and some Georgian wine.. what more could you want! :smt002 :smt030