LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by kk20gb30 »

This is from 'The Ruck' , and much of it has been re-cycled , but for those with a cellar of salt to hand :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/list-5-players-h ... er-tigers/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by JP14 »

Zach Mercer's an interesting one, not sure Obano will come as he has Genge to compete with as first choice, H. Watson is just speculation considering he started out at Tigers, Cordero is only linked because O'Connor was after him as an injury replacement in 2017/18 (failing spectacularly), perhaps Lynagh is the only one with any legs to it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

I don’t actually see the use of any of the signings ruck have said because Obano would compete with Genge on big salary and there wouldn’t be space for the two back rowers unless we’re gonna have another re shuffle. The only one I’d fancy is the outside backs but I think Cordero is the biggest long shot of them all...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

"the back rower has caught the eye of Borthwick and has been linked with a move to Welford Road by the Mail Online"
I swear I have never seen Mercer linked too us.

Obano would make zero sense.
Louis Lynagh is most likely the only actual rumour.
Mercer would be a good signing, but would he start over Wiese?
Would love to sign Watson but if Racing are after him zero chance of signing him, whilst he was in our academy I don't believe he was ever a Tigers fan (Pretty sure Sale was his home club) so not got that going for us.

It is interesting say Taufua goes what position we might look to sign with his wage
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If Taufua goes we best sign a replacement, we need Nemani to work on him to stay.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:23 am "the back rower has caught the eye of Borthwick and has been linked with a move to Welford Road by the Mail Online"
I swear I have never seen Mercer linked too us.

Obano would make zero sense.
Louis Lynagh is most likely the only actual rumour.
Mercer would be a good signing, but would he start over Wiese?
Would love to sign Watson but if Racing are after him zero chance of signing him, whilst he was in our academy I don't believe he was ever a Tigers fan (Pretty sure Sale was his home club) so not got that going for us.

It is interesting say Taufua goes what position we might look to sign with his wage
I really hope Taufua stays but if he doesn't are we looking at Mercer as a replacement? He could play 7 as he's quick and can get over the ball though he'd need to work a bit on that. Be another carrying threat and could cover for Weise as well. Can't imagine he'd be keen to leave Bath unless it was for significant cash though and I'm not sure we'd be offering what Taufua is on to him.

Lynagh is an odd one, he's clearly got talent but hasn't he already said he wants to represent Australia? He won't hang around much past his early twenties if that's the case and in Steward we've got the long term answer to the 15 shirt.

Watson and Obano both sound like agent talk though having both here would be great. Taking Genge off and bringing Obano on would be tough for the opposition. Allow good rotation as well but sadly can't see it.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Don’t think Obano is better than Gigena or Leatigiga
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:15 am Don’t think Obano is better than Gigena or Leatigiga
I think Gigena might edge it in the scrum but around the park Obano is a beast and plays longer stints like Genge instead of impact like Leatigaga. Genge/Obano/Gigena would be an exceptional amount of talent at loosehead. Obano at 26 is just coming into his prime and has been very good for Bath in the last 9 months.

With de Bruin off next summer this would allow Leatigaga to back up Cole and Heyes as the tighthead impact sub. Would give us a very nice selection of props. Possibly too much cap spend in that department though.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Who thinks Ruck possibly used this thread as a source (or is that too much like real research)

On here I'm pretty sure we've mentioned
Hamish Watson was mentioned while ago before signing Wiese, him and Mercer could be because we've also mentioned Taufua off

We've also discussed Lynagh himself.

We also have discussed LH prop and with De Bruin only temp they have looked at other decent LH's

As to legs in this no content other than the fact the club will be looking at any/all players of talent?

Random second thought, how many of these are currently managed by a certain player agent Richard Wilks, who is rumoured to be replacing Jan?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:58 pm
Random second thought, how many of these are currently managed by a certain player agent Richard Wilks, who is rumoured to be replacing Jan?
Does anyone know who Richard Wilks is actually agent for as if he does replace Jan then who could he persuade to bring in?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Richardfje wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:31 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:58 pm
Does anyone know who Richard Wilks is actually agent for as if he does replace Jan then who could he persuade to bring in?
Well they manage the Curry brothers I think... wouldn't be against them being persuaded to join us
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:30 am This is from 'The Ruck' , and much of it has been re-cycled , but for those with a cellar of salt to hand :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/list-5-players-h ... er-tigers/
Can we have that upcoming lad in the yellow shirt? :smt003
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:46 am If Taufua goes we best sign a replacement, we need Nemani to work on him to stay.
We need to make sure we hang on to Nemani first! He was persuaded to come here by Veainu and Tuilagi and was excited to play 'running rugby' with them rather than the 'kick and chase' we're seeing at the moment. That's not what he came here to play.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

no it wasn't lol.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:16 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:46 am If Taufua goes we best sign a replacement, we need Nemani to work on him to stay.
We need to make sure we hang on to Nemani first! He was persuaded to come here by Veainu and Tuilagi and was excited to play 'running rugby' with them rather than the 'kick and chase' we're seeing at the moment. That's not what he came here to play.
Unless he is a good actor he seems to like Leicestershire, so that's a start, if we dont use Nemani properly, we don't deserve to keep him, if we want to continually boot the leather off the ball we might as well play with a backline of flankers.
To win is not as important as playing with style!