Tigers v Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Chiefs

Post by JP14 »

Falcons are playing well, I’m not sure even with our internationals how well we will fare against them, but no matter onto Europe now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m still willing to back Bonilla, the kick was on in my opinion, just poor execution (as well as most likely offside but what’s the use in complaining about it when even us do it so blatantly).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Amid all the praise being handed out I'd like to put in a word for Dan Cole. I think his performances and his work rate have gone back up . Was tackling like a demon in the first half.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:39 pm
Scrum is looking less of a force with Stanko gone. Yes we've got some not so optimal options in but we need it as a weapon. Perhaps time to consider some part time recruitment.
I think the scrum problem was more of reflection of Gigena being injured and Genge with England.

Most sides will trouble us when we have to play our 3rd and 4th loose heads. LadyGaga is good for impact off the bench when the opposition is tiring but not a starter and Bower looks way out of his depth at present. Whilst both of the Exeter props have England caps, neither is a scrummaging beast.

Genge should be back soon. I am not sure Gigena is just out with concussion or did Cole’s noggin crack his cheekbone?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:56 pm Amid all the praise being handed out I'd like to put in a word for Dan Cole. I think his performances and his work rate have gone back up . Was tackling like a demon in the first half.
+1

He made at least a couple of hits that knocked Chiefs back and could have swung momentum. We needed more of that.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:21 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:56 pm Amid all the praise being handed out I'd like to put in a word for Dan Cole. I think his performances and his work rate have gone back up . Was tackling like a demon in the first half.
+1

He made at least a couple of hits that knocked Chiefs back and could have swung momentum. We needed more of that.
Agreed Cole was fantastic today. Lots of tackles and a number of dominant collisions. Has Walters got him on a different fitness regime he looks more powerful in the loose.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

TA30 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:34 pm A game of what could have been. Big moments at the start of 2nd half that would've changed things - Freddie steward intercept, Henry butchered 2on1, the trip on Exeter's goal line.All were moments Tigers should have got points. A bit like last week and the missed kicks to touch.

Our attitude & physicality is great, stopping Exeter on the goal line deserves credit. it's our workrate that is causing the bulk of our breakdown and offside pens & I firmly believe that will get better as this new squad trusts each other more in defence. Notably wiese was a pen magnet today.

I've got no issue with bonilla today, he came on with 5 to go and had to push things with the game gone, surprised devoto wasn't checked for offside.

We have issues behind the scenes, but I am buoyed by our performances and the depth of our squad.
You are right about the offside but then Chief were offside for much of their defensive game. I just wish CMH and other refs would look at the way Chiefs hit the ruck at speed, taking out opposition space. They are a side I would say well done, and why the Simmons brothers aren't in the England squad defeats me. I have no squabbles with the result as i thought our defence was as good as I have seen it along with the effort they put in. Can't see either Reffell or Brink being available next week so look forward to seeing Wallace in the back row. Our weakest area is our back up front row - they are young and have a lot of progress to make. Not going to comment about our No10's - lot of work there
Hehehehehehehehe
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:08 pm I am not sure Gigena is just out with concussion or did Cole’s noggin crack his cheekbone?
I think it has been operated on.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Cole came back from the World Cup and demonstrated the lack of energy of many of our squad and has maintained that.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Lots of positives today.
The first half team were excellent.
Zac Henry, to me had a good game: he probably should have just pinned his ears back and gone for the try line in the second half but the cover was flying across and sadly we don’t have centres who can keep up.
Dan Cole was excellent today but our other props aren’t in the same class.
Tom Young’s superb again.
Weise another very good display.

Shame Tommy Reffell got injured and I still think he needs to start to get over the ball and we miss his ability to get around the pitch.

Joaquin Diaz Bonilla was awful again. The chip was not a great idea with two players bearing down: he kicked off straight into Exeter’s hands and barely got over the 10 metre line: he doesn’t run back in defence.
Hardwick should be given a chance.

Well done Exeter and despite hating to lose I did see signs of improvement.

CMKs had a poor game but Chiefs deserved to win but every time I watch them I’m annoyed at the blocking and diving over the top they get away with.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The pass to Bonilla should not have happened, and folk wonder why ball often gets aimlessly kicked away!
A very competitive game, could've gone either way for a while but Exeter finished strong.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Do we thank Jan McGinty for his ‘revitalising’ and ‘rejuvenating’ signings such as Bonilla?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

DingDong wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:29 pm Do we thank Jan McGinty for his ‘revitalising’ and ‘rejuvenating’ signings such as Bonilla?
No we thank him for Nadolo, Weise, Brink, Kini...really not much hope for Bonilla today, last week fair enough, but his cameo v Glaws showed what he is about.
Thank Taylor for Potter & Porter.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:40 pm
DingDong wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:29 pm Do we thank Jan McGinty for his ‘revitalising’ and ‘rejuvenating’ signings such as Bonilla?
No we thank him for Nadolo, Weise, Brink, Kini...really not much hope for Bonilla today, last week fair enough, but his cameo v Glaws showed what he is about.
Thank Taylor for Potter & Porter.
Possibly Moroni and Montoya too...

Was McGinity only involved in player recruitment? "Head of Elite Performance Recruitment" might imply coaches too. Perhaps we should thank him for Borthwick or Aled Walters? :smt023
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Tbh I'm normally very optimistic when comes to our performances however I'm actually surprised to see so much positivity today. I would say that this performance was a step in the right direction with our defence looking very strong withstanding a lot of pressure which is something that didn't happen last year. I am still annoyed at our very limited attack as after 2 or 3 phases we kick the ball away putting more pressure on ourselves at times, with this limited attack and giving the ball away it almost feels inevitable that in the last 20 minutes we will concede tries. It's ok having a good defence put that is useless when we have no attack and leads us to only hanging in games rather than being the on top team. Hopefully this is just part of the process and the attack will come good just like the defence has but I certainly wouldn't share the same view that the scoreline was unfair to them today yes we kept them from scoring for large parts of the game but we very rarely looked like threatening them.