McGinity off

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: McGinity off

Post by RichieB »

You could argue Geordie going was on the cards due to his awful results on the pitch (although it didn't make sense to move him upstairs to DoR then eject him without gIving him the chance to do well). I think it is a poor reflection on Borthwick if what Strawclearer says is true. That being the case, I'm not sure I can be emotionally invested in such a person, irrespective of what results he might bring to the club.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Club sacks Murphy - Tigers beat Gloucester
Club sacks no one - Tigers Loses
Club sacks McGinty - hmmmmmmm

Honestly that could well be Tom’s strategic thinking.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I suppose we just have to hope that all these people couldn't work with Borthwick because they aren't up to the job and weren't as professional or dedicated as him.

I do wonder, if Borthwick thinks Taylor wasn't good enough, and thinks Murphy wasn't good enough because he hired Taylor, and thinks McGinity wasn't good enough because he hired whoever, how does he feel about the competence of the board who hired them all?!

If the board are happy to remove anyone that isn't good enough for Borthwick, how long do they have left?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If we beat Chiefs this weekend things will soon be forgotten about,a hammering though and and it will be blown up! A good performance will do me regardless
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Obviously all very rushed. Mc G's photo and job title still in the match day prog as part of the team
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

You know how Rory leaving was categorically stated it wasn't to do with GM departing, maybe at board level they were discussing the next departure after too and Rory left before either.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Perhaps Jan left due to not agreeing with Geordie’s treatment 🤷‍♂️

God knows, it’s pretty dire.......until we start winning of course.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

As I see it there are a few reasons why Jan could have left.

1. Covid meaning we couldn't afford him (discussions seem to be amalgamating his role and Geordan's into one more "general manager" position) If this is the case why not say it rather than strategy nonsense.

2. Borthwick and Jan didn't get along, maybe personality clash or maybe one or two signings haven't gone down well?

3. Jan has taken offense to Geordan leaving and decided to push things.

4. We have someone in mind for the new role replacing Geordan but that person wants to have recruitment in their remit.

5. Jan screwed up on the removal of the 5 players contracts and possibly caused a salary cap breach in doing so.

6. Some other gross misconduct.

There could even be a mixture of those. That said even in our new transparent operation I don't think we'll find out the truth.

All we can do is thank Jan for a lot of good players being at the club, wish him well and hope that his replacement can do better.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

My personal opinion, based entirely on hearsay and guesswork, is that Borthwick wasn't happy with McGinity's recruitment and wanted to bring in his own man.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Anyone else get the feeling the club might not exist in a few years time? Just seems to get worse and worse.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

On this thread and " The Open Letter to the Board" thread several people are suggesting they are in the know about certain aspects of recent events, in view of the almost total exclusion of fans from both Welford Rd and Oval Park I suspect much of what is claimed as knowledge is actually guess work which may or may not be near the mark. One thing is certain, Steve Borthwick is in charge, he is dictating team selection and tactics, in all probability he will be leading recruitment, I assume players brought in will be recruited or approved by him, the coaches he will be working with will have been accepted by him, in short in a results based business success or failure will be down to Mr Borthwick. That seemed to be the situation under Dwyer, Deano and later Cocker, I think it changed somehow along the way as certain people expanded their roles and areas of authority. Results are all important both on and off the pitch. Many that have been calling for change are not happy that we are getting changes they had not anticipated. some changes maybe precipitated by the affects of the pandemic some by personality and some for strategic reasons, frankly I don't care, I just want to see my team winning.
I would add one little proviso for both Board and Borthwick DON'T MESS ABOUT WITH THE ACADEMY! our future depends on it and currently it is in good hands.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

mol2 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:55 pm All the eggs in the Borthwick basket is a concern.

However it was initially announced he has come in as head coach it was never going to be that he would be junior to Murphy. He was always going to come as the boss in rugby terms with the remit of overseeing and directing the coaches working beneath him. Ultimately that was going to mean keeping some of the coaches that were there who he felt were both up to the job and able to work within his regime. So some of the coaching staff that were there remain and some in which he apparently had a say have gone which questions how much of a say he had prior to his official start?

Then the non-coaching roles. Perhaps Borthwick is not happy at the recruitment that has gone on given that we lost Manu, Vianu and shorly before that May. What has that left us in the backs? Youngs and Ford as the only genuine star quality off with England, without them our stand out players have been our 19 year old academy full back and a geriatric scrum half who was at best an England fringe player essentially signed to be a coach! That's one take, the other is that there is no point having someone paid to recruit when there's no cash to recruit players with.

What does that tell us? One of two things:

1) Borthwick is saying I am going to have my own team not anyone who doesn't buy into my ethos.

2) We are skint and shedding all we can before we have to shed players, although that had started during lockdown.

Had it not been for Covid and no crowds I would have gone for option 1 but I'm not sure it isn't 2.
...surely we would have done the numbers prior to the previous bloodletting!!!
This is just poor administration and the club doing things on the hoof.
Tom still there pulling the strings and I would not be surprised if someone else is not packing their bags in the near future.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

It already doesn’t exist as the club I know and love. As I said in a previous post the culling of so many people at a time when the ‘strategy’ surely dictated the need for a steady ship can only mean ‘trouble at mill’.

It has all the elements of a takeover, whether results on the pitch and how quickly they are achieved can make that palatable remains to be seen.

If the strategy is to hand total power for all things rugby to a head coach who has been in post less than 6 months why wasn’t the ‘baggage’ cleared at the time of his appointment.

We now appear to have eggs and chickens firmly in one basket......how long before the whole chicken coop is thrown back in the air and we start all over again????
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:16 pm I suppose we just have to hope that all these people couldn't work with Borthwick because they aren't up to the job and weren't as professional or dedicated as him.

I do wonder, if Borthwick thinks Taylor wasn't good enough, and thinks Murphy wasn't good enough because he hired Taylor, and thinks McGinity wasn't good enough because he hired whoever, how does he feel about the competence of the board who hired them all?!

If the board are happy to remove anyone that isn't good enough for Borthwick, how long do they have left?
There is an AGM coming up, even though shareholders get a vote, I really can't see how to get rid of board members, from what I remember all the existing members are seeking re-election, I don't remember seeing a surfeit of applicants. I may be wrong but I cant see any changes that we would approve.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:36 pm On this thread and " The Open Letter to the Board" thread several people are suggesting they are in the know about certain aspects of recent events, in view of the almost total exclusion of fans from both Welford Rd and Oval Park I suspect much of what is claimed as knowledge is actually guess work which may or may not be near the mark. One thing is certain, Steve Borthwick is in charge, he is dictating team selection and tactics, in all probability he will be leading recruitment, I assume players brought in will be recruited or approved by him, the coaches he will be working with will have been accepted by him, in short in a results based business success or failure will be down to Mr Borthwick. That seemed to be the situation under Dwyer, Deano and later Cocker, I think it changed somehow along the way as certain people expanded their roles and areas of authority. Results are all important both on and off the pitch. Many that have been calling for change are not happy that we are getting changes they had not anticipated. some changes maybe precipitated by the affects of the pandemic some by personality and some for strategic reasons, frankly I don't care, I just want to see my team winning.
I would add one little proviso for both Board and Borthwick DON'T MESS ABOUT WITH THE ACADEMY! our future depends on it and currently it is in good hands.
Agents with agenda, John?
PS Mrs G is spitting blood, SB was a pet hate of hers.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.