Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: McGinity off

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:50 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:43 pm Just a thought - would McGinity have been involved/been deemed responsible for the contract renegotiations in the summer which is resulting in legal action and a financial settlement/court case?
Someone posted earlier that Murphy and McGinity did a great job with all the contract negotiations - perhaps the club felt very differently and that's one of the reasons behind their departures. We were certainly the only club that experienced such public fallout.
We all know why it was so public at Tigers...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

All the eggs in the Borthwick basket is a concern.

However it was initially announced he has come in as head coach it was never going to be that he would be junior to Murphy. He was always going to come as the boss in rugby terms with the remit of overseeing and directing the coaches working beneath him. Ultimately that was going to mean keeping some of the coaches that were there who he felt were both up to the job and able to work within his regime. So some of the coaching staff that were there remain and some in which he apparently had a say have gone which questions how much of a say he had prior to his official start?

Then the non-coaching roles. Perhaps Borthwick is not happy at the recruitment that has gone on given that we lost Manu, Vianu and shorly before that May. What has that left us in the backs? Youngs and Ford as the only genuine star quality off with England, without them our stand out players have been our 19 year old academy full back and a geriatric scrum half who was at best an England fringe player essentially signed to be a coach! That's one take, the other is that there is no point having someone paid to recruit when there's no cash to recruit players with.

What does that tell us? One of two things:

1) Borthwick is saying I am going to have my own team not anyone who doesn't buy into my ethos.

2) We are skint and shedding all we can before we have to shed players, although that had started during lockdown.

Had it not been for Covid and no crowds I would have gone for option 1 but I'm not sure it isn't 2.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Some interesting comments and thoughts and well done to Tiglon for trying to dissect the club statement. However, after reading it all I'm not sure I am any the wiser really.

At a base level I am not sure McGinity has done a fantastic job or not. It's probably too early to say given the length of his tenure, the changing coaching set up, etc. We may now never know. He was very well dressed and a good talker but perhaps there is more image than substance. Equally I could be being harsh. Is there any objective measure?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Suggestion on the unoffy that Richard Wilks, brother of academy manager Dave and agent to Borthwick, Ford, Cole, Ben and Tom Youngs, will take over from McGinity.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ABClub wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:09 pm Suggestion on the unoffy that Richard Wilks, brother of academy manager Dave and agent to Borthwick, Ford, Cole, Ben and Tom Youngs, will take over from McGinity.
Mmmmmmmm 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:50 pm
Greenwhiteandred wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:43 pm Just a thought - would McGinity have been involved/been deemed responsible for the contract renegotiations in the summer which is resulting in legal action and a financial settlement/court case?
Someone posted earlier that Murphy and McGinity did a great job with all the contract negotiations - perhaps the club felt very differently and that's one of the reasons behind their departures. We were certainly the only club that experienced such public fallout.
This was only because it was the likes of Manu and Veainu, and it nicely fit a media narrative of people all too happy to see our current demise.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:12 pm
ABClub wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:09 pm Suggestion on the unoffy that Richard Wilks, brother of academy manager Dave and agent to Borthwick, Ford, Cole, Ben and Tom Youngs, will take over from McGinity.
Mmmmmmmm 🤔
That would explain a lot.......
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mmmmmmmm 🤔
How very... strategic.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:31 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 pm A replacement for Jan has already been sorted apparently.
If that's the case then I can only fathom that there was an element of personal issues involved. I'm also led to believe that there was no communication between Geordan and SB towards the end of Geordan's time at the club.

I am going out on a limb (and this is pure conjecture on my part) but could it be the case that the board have been seen to bring in SB as the messiah to take us back to the promised land. For whatever reason, SB says 'I can't work with X, Y and Z'. The board has a problem to resolve - do they remove SB and stick with the rest of what we have or do they back 'their man' and remove the parties that he believes he cannot work with?
I'd go further on that limb and suggest it's those SB couldn't work with plus those the senior players who know SB (and the non exec director who didn't leave) very well (and were a factor in the Mauger/MOC debacle) deciding who they did/didn't want. I was stunned that Boris left (and think you could tell) but then it got silly UNLESS there is a desperate plan. The alternatives are that SB is a monster or SB/Ford have former.......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:34 pm
Mmmmmmmm 🤔
How very... strategic.
If it does turn out to be true,it doesn’t look good does it?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:35 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 pm A replacement for Jan has already been sorted apparently.
If that's the case then I can only fathom that there was an element of personal issues involved. I'm also led to believe that there was no communication between Geordan and SB towards the end of Geordan's time at the club.

I am going out on a limb (and this is pure conjecture on my part) but could it be the case that the board have been seen to bring in SB as the messiah to take us back to the promised land. For whatever reason, SB says 'I can't work with X, Y and Z'. The board has a problem to resolve - do they remove SB and stick with the rest of what we have or do they back 'their man' and remove the parties that he believes he cannot work with?
I'd go further on that limb and suggest it's those SB couldn't work with plus those the senior players who know SB (and the non exec director who didn't leave) very well (and were a factor in the Mauger/MOC debacle) deciding who they did/didn't want. I was stunned that Boris left (and think you could tell) but then it got silly UNLESS there is a desperate plan. The alternatives are that SB is a monster or SB/Ford have former.......
I really hope this is not the case! It just adds to the whole Leicester mafia fire. I thought things would start to look up when we let some loose lips go.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Er every person who has been hire for the recruitment role has been a agent of some kind.
Cohen was hired and he was Cockerill's agent.

and with rugby there is only a handful of massive agencies on the whole so whoever we got to replace McGinty most likely would've been tied to some players.
Green room sports is the biggest in England. If he joins it won't mean Jack Willis will soon be signing for us nor that his Tigers players will be "un-releasable".

I would say it's pretty clear that Murphy's guys are out.
I think Mcginty going is very short-sighted but if him and Borthwick wasn't seeing eye to eye on player recruitment then nothing else you could do really.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:37 pm

I really hope this is not the case! It just adds to the whole Leicester mafia fire. I thought things would start to look up when we let some loose lips go.
1. The relationship between GM and SB broke down very soon after SB joined - days rather than weeks. After that, GM was effectively ostracised making his position untenable.

2. Taylor and Boris resigned because they couldn't work with SB.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't have a problem with a new head coach/DOR wanting his own team, if it is that.

However it is a shame that people are being sacked or having to resign, particularly the likes of Boris and Murphy who have served the club well over the years.

Let's hope it is the end of ill planned promotions and appointments.

Murphy being appointed as head coach was initially only as caretaker and that's where it should have stayed. Making it full time and then moving him to DOR was a terrible move. Appointing Borthwick when he was under contract until this summer with England was also daft. We needed a head coach who could have started at the start of last season.

Muddled thinking, muddled appointments and muddled departures of coaches, management and players has to come to an end.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:37 pm
1. The relationship between GM and SB broke down very soon after SB joined - days rather than weeks. After that, GM was effectively ostracised making his position untenable.

2. Taylor and Boris resigned because they couldn't work with SB.
Number 2 for definite?