Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Open Letter To The Board

Post by Tiglon »

Dear Mr Tom,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your service to Leicester Tigers thus far, and in the future. Your commitment to the club has been longstanding and I am led to believe that members of the board have personally supported the club during the challenges of 2020. For this I am grateful.

That said, as a supporter of the club across 4 decades, I cannot accept the explanations given for recent events - particularly when they are framed within promises of honesty, transparency and clarity. Too many senior people have jumped or been pushed in a short space of time with little explanation other than "strategy". This is not enough. You cannot simply throw the word "strategy" at every question you don't want to answer and expect your fans to buy it. I understand that there are some things that you legally or ethically cannot disclose - fine, but just say so.

Todays announcement regarding the departure of Jan McGinity, who has revitalised our recruitment, just doesn't sit right. From the outside, it seems as though he has excelled in his role and added huge value to the club. If the strategy was that we did not need a Head of Elite Recruitment for 6 months of every year, should I assume that he was made aware of that from the start? When Geordan Murphy signed his final contract with the club, was he made aware that it was only intended to be for one year?

We understand that Covid has hit Tigers hard and we realise that the club will continue to have to make tough choices. But if that's the case, just tell us. Don't hide behind an imagined shield of "strategy" - we will not think worse of you for reacting to changing circumstances in 2020, we are all having to do it in our own businesses.

The picture being painted (over some years, and coming to a head now) is not one of an organisation that cares about it's people. I appreciate that the world of professional sport can be brutal, but surely there is a better way than this? If the club does not care about it's people, regardless of length of service or performance, I am left wondering whether it cares about me as a supporter. Loyalty is a two way street.

If everything that happens is part of a great strategy then why not publish the strategy? I would imagine that an organisation of the size and prominence as Leicester Tigers would have written down it's strategy. Share it with us, engage us, bring us along on the journey. Redact parts or names that you should not include for reasons of legality, ethics, or competition. Or don't publish it, but please, stop flinging the word "strategy" around as if it alone explains seemingly random decisions; it explains nothing.

I beg you to stop using words like "transparency" if you are not going to live them. Rugby fans are educated people, treat them as such. As leaders the worst thing you can be is of low or non-existent behavioural integrity, particularly when discussing honesty and transparency.

I hope that we will receive reassurances from the club that allow me to continue attending games at Mattioli Woods Welford Road, occasionally purchasing merchandising and paying for a BT Sports subscription solely to watch Tigers when I cannot get to games.

Best Wishes,

A Tigers Fan.

P.S. If I am in the minority and my views are not mirrored by other fans, please feel free to ignore me!
Last edited by Tiglon on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Open Letter To The Board

Post by jgriffin »

Excellent post reflecting my views well. I bought two season tickets intending to donate to the club the unused balance (as a pensioner) because I believed in the club. Now I'm wondering what the h*ll is going on.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I wholeheartedly back this sentiment and am walking around in a state of disbelief at the moment.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:25 pm I wholeheartedly back this sentiment and am walking around in a state of disbelief at the moment.
+1
A2O
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Hear hear, although it brings me nought but sadness to have to agree...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

+1 as well
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Transparency. It’s not clear to me.

V disappointed.
Shortbloke66

Post by Shortbloke66 »

Tiglon, excellent post, considered and reasoned points made. I concur with almost all you posted .
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 pm Dear Mr Tom,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your service to Leicester Tigers thus far, and in the future. Your commitment to the club has been longstanding and I am lead to believe that members of the board have personally supported the club during the challenges of 2020. For this I am grateful.

That said, as a supporter of the club across 4 decades, I cannot accept the explanations given for recent events - particularly when they are framed within promises of honesty, transparency and clarity. Too many senior people have jumped or been pushed in a short space of time with little explanation other than "strategy". This is not enough. You cannot simply throw the word "strategy" at every question you don't want to answer and expect your fans to buy it. I understand that there are some things that you legally or ethically cannot disclose - fine, but just say so.

Todays announcement regarding the departure of Jan McGinity, who has revitalised our recruitment, just doesn't sit right. From the outside, it seems as though he has excelled in his role and added huge value to the club. If the strategy was that we did not need a Head of Elite Recruitment for 6 months of every year, should I assume that he was made aware of that from the start? When Geordan Murphy signed his final contract with the club, was he made aware that it was only intended to be for one year?

We understand that Covid has hit Tigers hard and we realise that the club will continue to have to make tough choices. But if that's the case, just tell us. Don't hide behind an imagined shield of "strategy" - we will not think worse of you for reacting to changing circumstances in 2020, we are all having to do it in our own businesses.

The picture being painted (over some years, and coming to a head now) is not one of an organisation that cares about it's people. I appreciate that the world of professional sport can be brutal, but surely there is a better way than this? If the club does not care about it's people, regardless of length of service or performance, I am left wondering whether it cares about me as a supporter. Loyalty is a two way street.

If everything that happens is part of a great strategy then why not publish the strategy? I would imagine that an organisation of the size and prominence as Leicester Tigers would have written down it's strategy. Share it with us, engage us, bring us along on the journey. Redact parts or names that you should not include for reasons of legality, ethics, or competition. Or don't publish it, but please, stop flinging the word "strategy" around as if it alone explains seemingly random decisions; it explains nothing.

I beg you to stop using words like "transparency" if you are not going to live them. Rugby fans are educated people, treat them as such. As leaders the worst thing you can be is of low or non-existent behavioural integrity, particularly when discussing honesty and transparency.

I hope that we will receive reassurances from the club that allow me to continue attending games at Mattioli Woods Welford Road, occasionally purchasing merchandising and paying for a BT Sports subscription solely to watch Tigers when I cannot get to games.

Best Wishes,

A Tigers Fan.

P.S. If I am in the minority and my views are not mirrored by other fans, please feel free to ignore me!
Perhaps a petition could be started: so those who wanted to could put their signatures to a similar letter to this and it could be sent to Peter Tom. I for one would sign it. Anyone with the know how to execute this?
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I concur with everything that has been said.
Please Mr Tom tell us what the hell is going on to our beloved club.🤷‍♂️
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I also agree with the letter and need for transparency and explanations.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Valid points well expressed, Tiglon.

When I read the announcement re Jan McGinity to say I was shocked is an understatement. If this is part of a necessary cost reduction in response to Covid 19 then I can regrettably accept that but why can't the club just say so. If this is the symptom of some deeper malaise then I am mightily worried for the future of Leicester Tigers.

Having witnessed the recent procession of departures my trust in the so called new strategy is wearing thin and I (normally someone who is willing to listen to the club's senior executives with an open mind) am becoming extremely cynical. I have to say I am, tonight, considering whether to continue as a supporter let alone a long-term season ticket holder.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

++++ :smt023

The thing about a Strategy or the modern term Model . Is that its fluid, because we have to adapt to any given set of circumstances. Therefore its not worth the paper its written on.
What is transparency within an organisation. We'll be open on a need to know basis. And somethings "You just don't need to know......" So its a term which is banded a buzz word.

Love my club its like family......the thing is I don't like what its doing and how its acting.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

An excellent letter with all perfectly reasonable points.

I was never going to give up on my club because we were in a tough spot on the pitch but it's things like this off the pitch that are starting to test my loyalties.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni