Tigers v Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Chiefs

Post by Ian Cant »

Give the as much of the team v Gloucester a go against Exeter. Henry to start with a similar bench to last week end.
Taufua coming off the bench with the orders to go out and enjoy himself.
This squad has the talent so just need to go out and play.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:22 am Think this will be more about our performance than the result itself. Also expect some rotation, Liebenberg and Wiese could probably do with a rest. I’d like to see.

Leatigaga Youngs Cole
Wells Enever
Brink Taufua Reffell
Wigglesworth Bonilla
Scott Taute
Potter Steward Porter

Kerr Bruin Heyes Liebenberg Wallace White Henry Worth
Note sure what Enever has done to merit a bench place never mind selection. He looked hopelessly out of his depth in his outings towards the end of last season. Hope I am very wrong and he becomes a legend. But not betting on it.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Third game of a new season.For me, we should select as close to a full strength side as possible and compete in every facet of the match Vs Exeter.This season matters , there is , right now in this fixture , no justification for 'experimentation'.To achieve anything you have to be prepared to back yourself against the best and not hide behind an excuse of not really trying......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

Is Steve Borthwick spouting out the same old clichés and excuses or a consistent message which he unquestioningly believes and more importantly, so do the players?

Just because other people have said the same thing and failed doesn't mean it isn't the right approach.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

BrightonTiger wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:05 am Is Steve Borthwick spouting out the same old clichés and excuses or a consistent message which he unquestioningly believes and more importantly, so do the players?

Just because other people have said the same thing and failed doesn't mean it isn't the right approach.
Look, he’s clearly not comfortable in that aspect of the role and so does tend to resort to cliche and the same message. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Don’t care how polished or unpolished he is with the press. He has one role. To get the team winning. Game 1 great. Game 2 lousy. Game 3 probably a heavy defeat like most teams that have faced the (almost full strength) Chiefs in recent times. So I’m looking beyond that as a real benchmark. Words are cheap. It’s what happens on the pitch that he should be and is being judged on. End of.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Wasn't it stated "We look forward to the Exeter game to see where we are"
I therefore expect to see a (as near as) full strength team going full bore.
If this is the case and errors are cut out, I could (almost) forget the blip against LI.

Either way a " L " is inevitable. Question is by how much?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I trust no one in the team thinks the result is "inevitable", you take the field to win, otherwise there's little point turning up.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:01 pm I trust no one in the team thinks the result is "inevitable", you take the field to win, otherwise there's little point turning up.
As indeed should no professional sports persons I suspect. But we can and should be a little more objective. Forget how poor Tigers are, do you really expect anyone to go toe to toe with Exeter at the moment? I certainly don’t. I do expect us to lose, but that is more to do with how good Exeter are. It’s just the way it is at the moment.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Exeter remind me of the All Blacks side of a few years ago that were pushed close until halftime, but always seemed to pull away in the second half. I don't expect anything different for this Saturday.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I expect we will lose, that doesn't mean we can't compete. We need to go in with a good gameplan and we need to focus on our basics we do those and we have a decent chance of a Bonus point.

Exeter start the game on nil too, and past results count for nothing for them. Let's make them come here and earn every point, and we can see where we are after 80.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

A win against the Chiefs is a big ask for anyone at the moment but not impossible. I expect SB to field his strongest available side and I trust some lessons will have been learn't from last week. The more we play together, particularly against the best opposition, the better we should become.

There is a lot of impatience shown by some. I seem to recall the story of a young bull talking to an old bull at the top of a field of cows. The young bull said 'Let's run down there and have our wicked way with one of the cows'. The old bull replied 'Let's walk down and *$£*'em all'
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

In a sporting fixture nothing is certain.The much maligned Tigers team of last season at home to Exeter almost pulled off a surprise win, fielding a team nearer to full strength than many a side we put out we gave Chiefs a shock, that we lost through lack of fitness or belief is irrelevant now. That we proved as other teams have done that Exeter can be beaten is beyond doubt, Saturday maybe our day, in sport the outcome of matches is never 100% certain, keep the penalty count down, defend well and take the chance of points when the opportunity arises and we might, we may just might maintain our seasons unblemished home record at fortress Welford Road.
Time for another glass!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Would not be surprised if Henderson starts ahead of Enever. Think its the way to go to, promoting the youth. Was impressed with him last season, Gloucester away especially.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Has anyone said “Fortress Welford Road” yet or are we still refilling the moat?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Seeing who Sir is Saturday, the TMO will be busy...
To win is not as important as playing with style!