LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Tiglon »

There's a huge difference. Taufua waited in NZ for years doing everything he could to get into the ABs, when he could have come to Europe for the money much, much sooner - and probably won loads of caps for England/Ireland/France etc in the meantime if he wanted to. He's earned the right to a big contract and if he goes to France for a massive wedge of cash then I for one won't think any less of him. Taufua only knows one way to play and that is full on 100%, I doubt he's ever given anything less since he first held a rugby ball.

Hardwick on the other hand has done nothing at senior level despite way more chances than most young players get.

I understand why a 28 year old almost-All-Black is thinking of the money, but a 21 year old fly half who's been pretty good at age grade rugby? Ironically, he'd probably earn more in the long run if he forgot about the money and spent all day every day trying to learn and get better.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by anz3001 »

Oh, I don’t disagree.

Taufua is proven in what he offers, he knows his own stock.
I actually quite like Hardwick as a prospect, but he is unproven. He should get his head down and graft.
I still think Borthwick comes in and realises there’s no point in building around these guys.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

It’s a interesting one about Hardwick, if we look back a few years ago when Flood was our number one 10, Ford was given the chance to perform in the first team and he did not disappoint and pushed Flood hard for the starting position.
I feel Hardwick is not in the same league as Ford and to add he has to get by three very good Flyhalfs in front of him.
I think the best thing he could do is move on to develop and prove he is the player that many on here think he could be in the future.
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I read that Hardwick is considered a 12 at the club, so this might just be paper talk and he will stay and fight for that shirt rather than the 10
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

But that might be part of the problem if he wants to play 10
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:55 pm I read that Hardwick is considered a 12 at the club, so this might just be paper talk and he will stay and fight for that shirt rather than the 10
Plus as others have said 12 is hardly any easier with Scott, Porter, Taute, Kelly, even Worth and Nadolo can play 12 if need be so it seems as though there is plenty of cover across the backs. Add in the ability of Nadolo, Murimurivalu, SAR, Potter and van Wyk to cover 13 alongside Moroni who will likely be first choice 13 there’s a lot of cover and Hardwick doesn’t seem to have had a chance. Could be good cost to save the money from him in the long run
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:51 am My point on Ford is they are often good individual performances not necessarily team ones.
I think Hardwick thinks he is better than he actually is at moment.
..there was a lot of people saying he was the next thing and could go all the way!!!
That kind of expectation and endorsement leads to a believe in a progression that would have been assumed.
Once again it seems someone will have to leave us in order to progress.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Redstripeman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:42 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:51 am My point on Ford is they are often good individual performances not necessarily team ones.
I think Hardwick thinks he is better than he actually is at moment.
..there was a lot of people saying he was the next thing and could go all the way!!!
That kind of expectation and endorsement leads to a believe in a progression that would have been assumed.
Once again it seems someone will have to leave us in order to progress.
So what. If he’s not good enough let him go
A2O
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:55 pm I read that Hardwick is considered a 12 at the club, so this might just be paper talk and he will stay and fight for that shirt rather than the 10
Pretty sure I heard Hardwick say this himself in an interview - think on Radio Leicester during the lockdown but can’t remember exactly.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

SthrnTiger wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:50 pm
Pretty sure I heard Hardwick say this himself in an interview - think on Radio Leicester during the lockdown but can’t remember exactly.
With the added strength of our squad I would let Worth, Hardwick and possibly Olowefia and Asplin-Robinson go
A2O
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:55 pm
With the added strength of our squad I would let Worth, Hardwick and possibly Olowefia and Asplin-Robinson go
I think you need to take some water with whatever you’re drinking! :smt003
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:01 pm

I'm with Ay2oh on this. I don't understand why fans seem to find it so difficult to accept when a Tigers youngster is simply not good enough, or not as good as others that we have.

If Hardwick had come through at another club, would we all be begging Tigers to sign him?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

So you think that any of those are better than Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Van Wyk, Scott, Moroni, Potter, Porter, Taute, and Steward ?
A2O
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm with Ay2oh on this. I don't understand why fans seem to find it so difficult to accept when a Tigers youngster is simply not good enough, or not as good as others that we have.

If Hardwick had come through at another club, would we all be begging Tigers to sign him?
I guess it’s a differing of opinion on the cross over between still being a prospect and simply not being good enough.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:15 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:06 pm

I guess it’s a differing of opinion on the cross over between still being a prospect and simply not being good enough.
Completely, and that's a subjective thing. For me, after 30+ games you should be playing better than Hardwick is if you have much chance of making it at the highest level.