Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Autumn Nations Cup

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:20 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:57 pm Awful game, badly officiated, biggest loser Rugby itself.
England's work on high kicks illegal, doubt they will get away with it again.
Oh get over yourself, for goodness sake.
If that's your idea of a good game if rugby, good luck to you, the skill level of both sides was embarrassingly bad, the more professional the game becomes the worse the spectacle in many ways.
I used rate Poite as a referee, but each time you see him now he has a shocker.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I didn’t think Poite had that bad a game. Wales were out to negated England’s scrum, frequently long legged.

I for one argue common sense applied with the run up to England’s try. The Welsh full back a ridiculous distance forward, rather than up. We see this as a tactical ploy by too many full backs. The law is wrong for me - if you go up to take the ball but land more than say 2m from the take off point you should be deemed to be landing on someone who is legitimately taking a defensive position. That is different to entering the landing zone. They should not be expected to get out of your way.

How many more games will it take for Jones to accept Daly is simply not good enough under the high ball to play at full back.

Ford was good with ball in hand but some of his kicking was woeful.

Had Farrell not had an off day England would have buried much earlier.

Macko surprised me. Best game in the loose for ages but still only adequate in the scrum.
Sinckler perhaps should have been subbed earlier, was the hope her will find some form before France.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The most striking thing for me was that there wasn't a single point in the game where I felt Wales could win it. That's pretty unusual in this fixture.

When a visit to Wales is a routine procession to victory for England, you know they are in a good place.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Regulation win for England.A greater test potentially awaits Vs France (dependent on who exactly the French select).
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Super User
Super User

Maybe some rugby might be played....
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:07 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:20 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:57 pm Awful game, badly officiated, biggest loser Rugby itself.
England's work on high kicks illegal, doubt they will get away with it again.
Oh get over yourself, for goodness sake.
If that's your idea of a good game if rugby, good luck to you, the skill level of both sides was embarrassingly bad, the more professional the game becomes the worse the spectacle in many ways.
I used rate Poite as a referee, but each time you see him now he has a shocker.
Agree on Poite 100%.
Ironically, although at no point did Wales look capable of winning that game, with a different referee:
5 points chalked off for England’s 1st try disallowed for the tackle in the air
3 more gone for the penalty kick when Vunipola clearly lost his legs and won the penalty
And the no arms tackle by Daly that looked suspiciously high, about which he told the tmo to do one - yellow/red, who knows?
On balance, probably a penalty in favour of Daly!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:43 am The most striking thing for me was that there wasn't a single point in the game where I felt Wales could win it. That's pretty unusual in this fixture.

When a visit to Wales is a routine procession to victory for England, you know they are in a good place.
They’ll spin it as transition but all 4 home nations are in a bad place at the moment. It’s just that England are the least worst and Wales are at the bottom.
Compare it to the tri nations’ intent to play, speed of game (especially at the breakdown) and accuracy of basic skills, it’s like we’ve regressed to the old days when the Southern Hemisphere was years ahead of the north.
Having said all of that, there is still enough class for the Lions to beat the Boks if the right players are picked to fit the game plan.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Dokie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 am
Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:43 am The most striking thing for me was that there wasn't a single point in the game where I felt Wales could win it. That's pretty unusual in this fixture.

They’ll spin it as transition but all 4 home nations are in a bad place at the moment. It’s just that England are the least worst and Wales are at the bottom.
Compare it to the tri nations’ intent to play, speed of game (especially at the breakdown) and accuracy of basic skills, it’s like we’ve regressed to the old days when the Southern Hemisphere was years ahead of the north.
Having said all of that, there is still enough class for the Lions to beat the Boks if the right players are picked to fit the game plan.
I think you're comparing two events in very different situations. Rugby played in November in Australia is a completely different proposition to Wales in November. If anything, the hemispheres are closer than ever.

Wales and Ireland are very much in transition, however Scotland and England have very settled cores and their key players are exactly the same as at RWC a year ago.
Super User
Super User

England might need to come up with something a little different to beat the ABs next time, France look like the team on the up.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Seems that Pivac is smokescreening as his job loss looms! Complaining to World Rugby.
Yep, Poite isn't the ref he used to be (perhaps he needs to get a Goodey weave?), but frankly, there are only two refs that are vaguely decent these days, they all seem to have lost ground.
I was not surprised England dominated in the scrum, that's what the Georgia match was about, getting to that standard.
I agree with criticism of England, Daly not up to it, and we need to blood new front rowers pdq.

Interesting comment about the 'in the air' business. Wales have always used the leap forward, feet up. I was right next to the North/Thompstone incident, and every bit of it was caused by North leaping up and forward; Halfpenny does this all the time. A defender, standing off, cannot get out of the way without opening a channel. Tried to remember who the Scot was who got a red card for being in the way against Wales, ludicrous decision. I agree with the 'in your ground' comment - no problem reffing it if the catcher goes up vertically.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:22 pm Seems that Pivac is smokescreening as his job loss looms! Complaining to World Rugby.
Yep, Poite isn't the ref he used to be (perhaps he needs to get a Goodey weave?), but frankly, there are only two refs that are vaguely decent these days, they all seem to have lost ground.
I was not surprised England dominated in the scrum, that's what the Georgia match was about, getting to that standard.
I agree with criticism of England, Daly not up to it, and we need to blood new front rowers pdq.

Interesting comment about the 'in the air' business. Wales have always used the leap forward, feet up. I was right next to the North/Thompstone incident, and every bit of it was caused by North leaping up and forward; Halfpenny does this all the time. A defender, standing off, cannot get out of the way without opening a channel. Tried to remember who the Scot was who got a red card for being in the way against Wales, ludicrous decision. I agree with the 'in your ground' comment - no problem reffing it if the catcher goes up vertically.
Whinging Wales again 😀
A2O
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Fabien Galthié has said that he won't be calling on the clubs to release the top players for next Saturday's match at Twickers, so we'll probably see much of the team that beat Italy yesterday evening.
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:24 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:22 pm Seems that Pivac is smokescreening as his job loss looms! Complaining to World Rugby.

Whinging Wales again 😀
It's in the SH psyche to whinge, not just Wales. Gatland carried them onward even as rugby in Wales faltered. It's dying now, and the decades of complacent neglect by the WRU are coming home to roost. Truly heartbreaking - look at all the great clubs on the brink or gone. :smt010
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Whinging Wales again 😀
It's in the SH psyche to whinge, not just Wales. Gatland carried them onward even as rugby in Wales faltered. It's dying now, and the decades of complacent neglect by the WRU are coming home to roost. Truly heartbreaking - look at all the great clubs on the brink or gone. :smt010
Complacency, or the fact that Wales has a population of 3 million compared to England's 56 million? That they can compete at the same level at all is frankly an astonishing achievement.