Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by mightymouse »

I agree that Hogg Gray Richie Russell are likely to be the only Scots to go and possibly not even all of them given Gatlands blind spot for anyone not welsh even when they are clearly better.

However the one guy I would add to that list if he’s fit is Sutherland. The Scottish scrum looks very destructive when he plays, and he is a useful ball carrier too.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

mightymouse wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:29 am I agree that Hogg Gray Richie Russell are likely to be the only Scots to go and possibly not even all of them given Gatlands blind spot for anyone not welsh even when they are clearly better.

However the one guy I would add to that list if he’s fit is Sutherland. The Scottish scrum looks very destructive when he plays, and he is a useful ball carrier too.
Russell in prime position to start for me, Ritchie in a right dogfight for the 6 shirt and Sutherland might be a good shout in a position where there's no one player clearly better than the rest.
For me, Gray needs a big 6 nations and Champions Cup. Which leaves Hogg, who I think will go. But for me, the most over hyped high profile player in Britain. Great with ball in hand but more of a Huw Jones in defence.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Dokie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:42 pm
mightymouse wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:29 am I agree that Hogg Gray Richie Russell are likely to be the only Scots to go and possibly not even all of them given Gatlands blind spot for anyone not welsh even when they are clearly better.

Russell in prime position to start for me, Ritchie in a right dogfight for the 6 shirt and Sutherland might be a good shout in a position where there's no one player clearly better than the rest.
For me, Gray needs a big 6 nations and Champions Cup. Which leaves Hogg, who I think will go. But for me, the most over hyped high profile player in Britain. Great with ball in hand but more of a Huw Jones in defence.
Can’t see Russell starting with Gatland coach. For me there’s two nailed on starters in Farrell and Itoje and only injury will stop them starting. Jamie George also not too far behind.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Williams at FB is nailed on too if he’s fit
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Both Hogg and Gray have been magnificent sine their move to Chiefs — I thought Hogg had gone right off the boil but is getting back to his best now
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

mightymouse wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:42 pm Both Hogg and Gray have been magnificent sine their move to Chiefs — I thought Hogg had gone right off the boil but is getting back to his best now
Are you Scottish by any chance
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

AWJ. Discuss.....
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just on a windup. I thought he was very good today tbf,especially first half.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:43 pm Just on a windup. I thought he was very good today tbf,especially first half.
Never thought I’d see the day!
You’ve clearly had too many shandies and will regret this post in the morning 😂
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I thought yesterday showed why AWJ should be on the tour in some sort of capacity.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:32 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:43 pm Just on a windup. I thought he was very good today tbf,especially first half.
Never thought I’d see the day!
You’ve clearly had too many shandies and will regret this post in the morning 😂
On the wagon mate haha. No,I genuinely thought he was very good first half and start of the second hen tailed off a bit. I think it would be beneficial to take him on tour as squad captain but then pick a test captain too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Having a midweek captain like Rory Best in 2017 worked well in my opinion and allowed different players to focus on the tests instead. I feel like AWJ could be well suited to this role.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:38 am I thought yesterday showed why AWJ should be on the tour in some sort of capacity.
All he did was moan to the ref and slow down any chance of England going quickly, I agree that for many years AWJ was the best in the world, I am afraid he is no longer that player, he seems to be a bitter and twisted loser, this was highligted in the way he made a big thing on live TV about Marler holding his lunch box
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I can't see any Tigers making the tour, when did that last happen?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:18 pm I can't see any Tigers making the tour, when did that last happen?
Genge perhaps as impact sub? Few other props have his explosiveness.

Youngs as the experienced 9?

A good 6 months from Ford and he could make it too.

In answer to your question, I've checked back to 1971 and every Lions squad has included a Leicester player - I can't find the squads prior to that. So, at least 50 years!