Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tri Nations

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:31 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:10 pm Rennie was already signed to Glasgow before Cockers was given the heave ho
We wouldn't have gotten Robertson anyway.
Doesn't mean we shouldn't of tried, especially with Rennie, Robertson had a bit of a sulk so....Hansen & Henry had time coaching abroad.
I'd imagine Robertson has had several clubs offer him contracts by now and all for more money than he's on in NZ. I think he's holding out for an international job, especially with him offering to help coach the Lions. He's helped coach the Baabaas before now as well.

He might well fancy the Wales job if Pivac doesn't make it to Christmas though probably with a clause that allows him to leave for the ABs at any point.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Pivac would help himself if he picked a FH that fits the game plan..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Enjoyable game in the tri nations between Australia and Argentina. Bit of niggle in it too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Great draw for Argentina against Australia. Could have snatched it at the death if the bounce from the last kick had been kinder
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Enjoyed that! Argentina looked just as fresh even though Oz had the week off
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
cpwhelan
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by cpwhelan »

How good would it have been if we'd managed to hold on to Matera - just the type of leadership I believe we've been missing for
a pretty long time, and what a player too.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

cpwhelan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm How good would it have been if we'd managed to hold on to Matera - just the type of leadership I believe we've been missing for
Chris I think we have a pretty good back row now, do we need him, yes a couple of years ago but now?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Let’s not get carried away here,Matera for me is the best 6 in the world and walks into almost every team. I’d bite your hand off for him! But either way I’m super excited about the potential of both our back rows 😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

cpwhelan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm How good would it have been if we'd managed to hold on to Matera - just the type of leadership I believe we've been missing for
The story here is Cockers when asked why he had not re-signed Matera he told the open supporters forum that Matera was not initially willing to renew his Tigers contract. That changed after Matera sustained a serious shoulder injury playing for Argentina against the All Blacks, Matera's agent told Cockers that Matera now wanted to sign a new contract but Cockers said under the circumstances he was not going to accept. The rest is history.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We might have found resigning him easier if we had played him a bit more.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

mol2 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:56 pm We might have found resigning him easier if we had played him a bit more.
A bit difficult to play him more when he had a serious injury.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The injury may have been the reason we didn't resign him, however we seemed reluctant to play him before his injury. Was that part of Cocker's disinclination to play youngsters?

I don't recall our back row of that era being rammed with star players.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

From memory which may or may not be correct, but didn't he return to Argentina as he was "Homesick"
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Home sickness was mentioned, but I think he didn't see a future for him at Tigers.

Certainly one that got away, file with Murika Vunibaka.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Amazing what some people will blame the club for, Matera joined us as a 20 year old injury replacement for Tom Croft, his contract was extended to the end of the season and he was offered a further deal which he declined as at that time if he had ambitions to play international rugby he needed to be playing in Argentina, it was slightly different for established Argentinian players already based in Europe such as Ayerza although in Marcos's case the demands on his body playing in two Hemispheres with little break between seasons possibly ended his career prematurely.
Vunibaka signed by Bob Dwyer about 25 years ago was never able to secure a U.K work permit so hardly the fault of our Boardroom, more the regulations of the time and possibly Dwyer for not checking facts before bringing the player over.