London Irish Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish Away

Post by westwinds31 »

As good as the win felt on Saturday, this season will still have ups and downs I think, as new partnerships bed in and we try and find our way again. Haven't see the Irish game but read the report and it sounded like they literally didn't turn up, so expecting a reaction from them this weekend, plus they'll be fired up to put a marker down in their new surroundings. Consistency has not been a strong point of ours in recent times, so let's see how it goes.

The result on Saturday was amazing of course, but you can tell a lot from a squad when a game has finished, and to see the joy on the faces of the players and ALL the squad was great to see. It looked like there is already a decent bond there and in rugby, that's a big thing.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Let's not forget the shambolic defeat to the Exiles last season, we need to keep composure and not suddenly think we're the best thing since sliced bread (which we were guilty of for the parts of 2017/18 when we were actually pretty decent).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Give them all the week off - little training seemed to work and they just had to play what was in front of them - lol - joking apart, you can make a case for lots of the combos but I would keep as many as possible.
Hehehehehehehehe
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Saturday wasn't fantastic but we can take a lot from the game, particularly in the performance in defence and at the breakdown. The scrum was also impressive.

In addition to others I believe Steward deserves a mention as he had another good game and was solid under the high ball.

I can't see many changes being made for the Irish game but we will see who is fit and who puts their hand up in training. This game is very winnable if we play like we did against the cherry and whites and to go into the chief's game with 9 or 10 points in the bag will make the game all the more interesting. :smt026
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

Wiggy was fab! Doing what I thought he would, only hope that he can look to coach as well. A must pick for this game.
I thought that Potter had a good game on the wing too, loved that tongue out when running into contact. Again, keep him in.

I'd put Scott in at 12 if fit, though Porter did nothing wrong, I liked his contribution.

I loved Wiese, wow that first rampaging carry, oh my..... I must say that I'd be tempted to play a back row of Brink, Wiese and one of the 7's, then put Hanro at lock. Then you've got a lot of carrying and grunt in the forwards.

Backs looked great and Steward looks very composed, growing in confidence with each game.

I want to see consistency and regularity which is something that we didn't go for after the break last year. This LI game is very important and a must win away game to rebuild confidence on the road. I think he'll pick a big solid team that will be hard to beat.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

PaleoTiger wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:48 pm I want to see consistency and regularity which is something that we didn't go for after the break last year. This LI game is very important and a must win away game to rebuild confidence on the road. I think he'll pick a big solid team that will be hard to beat.
Agreed, if we become hard to beat that's halfway to winning! The opposition has to then find a way to beat us with the consequences of the game opening up :smt023
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I'm sure Borthwick will select by many more valid criteria than I can think of but I reckon Liebenberg at 6 is probably the first name on my teamsheet.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:40 pm I'm sure Borthwick will select by many more valid criteria than I can think of but I reckon Liebenberg at 6 is probably the first name on my teamsheet.
Agreed. I really liked the balance of the back row vs Glos. Liebenberg Taufua Wiese would be my first choice injuries aside (and that will be some back row with Brink off the bench) but Reffell/Wallace are in fine form at 7 so I’d be keen to keep the balance and play one of them in the meantime
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 pm
strawclearer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:40 pm I'm sure Borthwick will select by many more valid criteria than I can think of but I reckon Liebenberg at 6 is probably the first name on my teamsheet.
Agreed. I really liked the balance of the back row vs Glos. Liebenberg Taufua Wiese would be my first choice injuries aside (and that will be some back row with Brink off the bench) but Reffell/Wallace are in fine form at 7 so I’d be keen to keep the balance and play one of them in the meantime
We're going to have a problem when Taufua returns if the others stay fit! Who do you leave out?

I quite like Taufua as a "finisher" - he's always impressed me more coming off the bench and the energy he brings is incredible. Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese looked really well balanced.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

On the odd chance they all stay fit... :smt005 ..
Wiese will need a break at some point as his season started sooner, the option of Hanro in the 2nd row is there, but he looks close to undropable at present, getting Taufua & Nadolo playing together as per their Crusaders stint could prove critical in some games.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I feel with the rules you need a out and out fetcher again.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:45 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:49 pm
We're going to have a problem when Taufua returns if the others stay fit! Who do you leave out?

I quite like Taufua as a "finisher" - he's always impressed me more coming off the bench and the energy he brings is incredible. Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese looked really well balanced.
It’s a nice problem to have.. a position we haven’t been in for some time. Wallace is playing extremely well too and Brink will be a great asset once he’s back up to speed and settled. Tough one to call
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

And, of course, Nadolo can always play 6! :smt043
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

With the continuing postponement of Fiji matches, when can we expect Nadolo and Kini back and ready for match action?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think Borthwick will love having Wiese & Liebenberg in as they're both genuine lineout options.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.