Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Post by Scott1 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:49 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:15 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:10 pm

If they revert then they lose the shirt, simple.
Yea,this isn’t Murphy! I’ve no doubt Borths will drop the axe when needed
Love it :smt043 Are you saying that SB had no mind of his own when GM was here and was just a Yes man?
How long before you stop blaming GM for everything? Still you are consistent :smt002
Cheers 😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Only one game I know. But it is the first time in two / three years that Tigers have looked fitter than the opposition. Almost any opposition. The players actually seemed to be playing 'for' each other. Again, the first time there has been any semblance of 'team' in the last couple of years. Finally, whilst it is great to see that at long last we actually have some really abrasive back five players who can carry - Richard Wigglesworth is one of the best bits of business Tigers have done in recent times. I got quite demoralised watching him this afternoon, direct the team around the field with such ease - and then reminded myself he was playing for us.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Can someone clarity the law for me? That pass from Cipriani for their try seemed to go well forward to me, but it was never checked. It was touched by one our players on its way (after it seemed to go forward) so does that mean it can’t be considered a forward pass?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 pm Can someone clarity the law for me? That pass from Cipriani for their try seemed to go well forward to me, but it was never checked. It was touched by one our players on its way (after it seemed to go forward) so does that mean it can’t be considered a forward pass?
Rules wise you can have a forward pass to an opposing player and it's still a forward pass. Just the same as a knock on spilling it to an opponent.

That said forward passes probably evened itself up there after Wigglesworth's try had a hint of forward in it.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:21 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:15 pm Can someone clarity the law for me? That pass from Cipriani for their try seemed to go well forward to me, but it was never checked. It was touched by one our players on its way (after it seemed to go forward) so does that mean it can’t be considered a forward pass?
Rules wise you can have a forward pass to an opposing player and it's still a forward pass. Just the same as a knock on spilling it to an opponent.

That said forward passes probably evened itself up there after Wigglesworth's try had a hint of forward in it.
Basically boils down to the ref being a bit new and not very good and the TMO being hit and miss as usual. The TMO gets a minute or two in order to review every bit of the try fans get a lot longer. Officials aren't perfect.

I suspect if they'd looked at how the ball came out of Taute's hands it might have been given forward. Ditto the Cipriani pass.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:13 pm

Basically boils down to the ref being a bit new and not very good and the TMO being hit and miss as usual. The TMO gets a minute or two in order to review every bit of the try fans get a lot longer. Officials aren't perfect.

I suspect if they'd looked at how the ball came out of Taute's hands it might have been given forward. Ditto the Cipriani pass.
Since the restart it seems that unless it’s really obvious they’re letting the marginal ones go. Hence why had a quick look at the Taute pass then moved on.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

SthrnTiger wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:21 pm

Since the restart it seems that unless it’s really obvious they’re letting the marginal ones go. Hence why had a quick look at the Taute pass then moved on.
I was just surprised they didn’t even review the Cipriani one. I was screaming at the tv (well, the iPad) when it happened, but then I noticed one of our players had touched it which is why I thought maybe it hadn’t been checked.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

:smt050

I think they are keen to speed up the decision making. They don't want five minutes spent examining something to the nth degree to then say, it's fine. Want to keep the game going. As you say not inspecting marginal to closely.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:44 pm :smt050

I think they are keen to speed up the decision making. They don't want five minutes spent examining something to the nth degree to then say, it's fine. Want to keep the game going. As you say not inspecting marginal to closely.
Yes.
Let the game flow at all costs.
Last night at a scrum the touch judge yells "quins quins quins" for a penalty. Quins get the ball from the scrum and attack, sir goes "play on too late now."
If the call had been "white white white" and Exeter were at fault I could have understood it. Quins got ball they did not deserve and an advantage having transgressed. I don't get it at all.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

On the "let's all calm down side" Gloucester's made some basic errors without which I suspect the game would have been very close.

On the "let's get excited" side, we showed so much promise.

I genuinely hate to say it but it felt good to not have Murphy around.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

It was great to see some of our players with a smile on their faces.
A life long Tiger
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believe we can only be happy with the win.A massive confidence boost and fillip, a reward for believing in and following instructions.Well managed on the field and composed and the smiles on the players faces come the final whistle speak volumes.
One game only and we must keep our feet on the ground , continue to seek improvement - but we have a valid starting point.
The hardest thing to do is learning how to win again , hopefully we have started to do this.
All considered, great result - lets try to keep it going.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Despite having a distinct SA flavour yesterday we still had 6 Academy graduates in the starting line up & 4 more on the bench, that is the way forward for long term success, even more so as the game tightens its belt. (regardless of Covid).
To win is not as important as playing with style!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Well.
Day one and the best start for a few seasons. Actually got points on the board and rather than loose them we played for more. Try bonus point and a W all in one game.
I am not going to get carried away as we need to build. But the lads deserve to enjoy ,not only the W but in the way it was achieved.
I dare say it ,we looked to have a balance and a desire that has been missing. I also saw leadership and a togetherness.
Every one on the coaching team should take a bow for uniting a squad who for at least two seasons looked anything but.
Onwards and upwards. - I actually enjoyed a beer or four - :smt039
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Traveller wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:12 pm Only one game I know. But it is the first time in two / three years that Tigers have looked fitter than the opposition. Almost any opposition. The players actually seemed to be playing 'for' each other. Again, the first time there has been any semblance of 'team' in the last couple of years. Finally, whilst it is great to see that at long last we actually have some really abrasive back five players who can carry - Richard Wigglesworth is one of the best bits of business Tigers have done in recent times. I got quite demoralised watching him this afternoon, direct the team around the field with such ease - and then reminded myself he was playing for us.
This... that was another reason why yesterday's victory felt so good.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni