Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:42 pm Been in contact with a friend of mine who is a Glaws fan and both of us commented on how many each side also has missing to add to the 23 both sides put on the park.

By my reckoning we have a bakers dozen unavailable for one reason or another. He thought Glaws had 9.

For me, the pack was a huge upgrade on sides we've put out in international windows before. To have Brink on the bench to add to the huge carrying of Wiese and Liebenberg, who I thought was immense (again) is streets away from where we have been.

As has been said on another.thread - hats off to Jan McGinty on the recruitment front.

As several have said, we've got to back it up now next week. That'll be the big test.
Terrace, Dave, terrace......just to be there when they play like this...... :smt010 :smt010 :smt010
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Before we get too carried away, it is only one game, and there are tougher sides in the competition. Encouraging as this may have been.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:42 pm Been in contact with a friend of mine who is a Glaws fan and both of us commented on how many each side also has missing to add to the 23 both sides put on the park.

By my reckoning we have a bakers dozen unavailable for one reason or another. He thought Glaws had 9.

For me, the pack was a huge upgrade on sides we've put out in international windows before. To have Brink on the bench to add to the huge carrying of Wiese and Liebenberg, who I thought was immense (again) is streets away from where we have been.

As has been said on another.thread - hats off to Jan McGinty on the recruitment front.

As several have said, we've got to back it up now next week. That'll be the big test.
Genge, Leatigaga, Lavanini, Taufua, Ford, Scott, Moroni, Nadolo and Murimurivalu is a lot international class to come back in.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Haven't read the previous posts as I'm trying to avoid finding out the England score so apologies if there is repetition of posters above..

Firstly some perspective.. Glos were terrible first half and didn't pose any threat whatsoever so made it fairly easy for us; however.. and it's a BIG however.. that was incredible. One of the best Tigers performances I have seen for years! Intensity, line speed, great at the breakdown, huge carries, nice attacking structure, solid scrum and line-out too after a few early wobbles..

Considering we are missing the likes of Youngs Ford, Genge, Lavanini, Mamu, Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Leatigaga, Taufua (most of whom you would expect to start) that was an impressive display. Henry looks to be a really great acquisition and he made another very impressive performance (the best stand in 10 we have had for.. well as long as I can remember) . Didn't se much of Bonilla but what I did see I liked.. great kick to the corner, some solid play and a decent shot to get his first points for Tigers.

Wigglesworth was class. Kicked when he thought he should, was on hand to score a great team try, directed play nicely and was an experienced leader... and finally.. is this an end to death by box kicking!? I hope so..

Wiese.. what a debut.. incredible shift, huge carries and exactly the player we have been looking for. Brink looked good too when he came on and Reffell was solid as ever and great over the ball. Another good shift by Liebenberg too. Anyone else excited about the prospect of Liebenberg Taufua Wiese with Brink off the bench!

Makeshift backline was impressive.. thought Taute looks like a new player; impressive display and some good strength. Potter and Van Wyk looked sharp and Porter was solid. Steward.. take a bow.. another quality display by the lad, safe as houses under the high ball and some nice footwork in attack and good defence.

A 5-0 result.. for much of the game I wasn't sure that 4th try was coming but we stuck in there, weathered the storm and rallied late on. Very promising signs.. early days and not the strongest opposition but the first game under SB proper.. yep, I was impressed.

A big, resounding.. :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So according to the stats so far
Missed tackles = 9.
Bet you have to go a long way back for the last time we stayed under double digits in the missed tackles.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

How much was it Glaws not offering much first half vs us putting in a great shift in defence to close them down early? Line speed and quality of tackling was miles ahead of where we've been. I think that dropped off slightly in the 2nd half which allowed them back in.
TigerLT
Tiger Cub

Post by TigerLT »

Only one game, but does Mike Ford get a shout out for the defence... :smt002 :smt003
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Moose wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm How much was it Glaws not offering much first half vs us putting in a great shift in defence to close them down early? Line speed and quality of tackling was miles ahead of where we've been. I think that dropped off slightly in the 2nd half which allowed them back in.
Bit of both.
I said before the game that Gloucester lack of pace would benefit us, our biggest weakness so far has been a pace guy running a channel between the 13 and Wing.

That being said the hits that did go in was with actual purpose and wasn't just around the tackles and lose a meter.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The penalty count for Gloucester was huge. Yet only 2 yellows.

Green gets one for shirt holding. I know the ref had to card the player who stamped on him but just because the stamp was as feeble as it gets you can’t card a player for grabbing a shirt or shorts in that situation or most players will be carded. A technical penalty, yes. But you can’t turn it into a card because of retaliation.

In days gone by Green would have got a proper shoeing. It wasn’t, but gets the same penalty.

Yes tell off Green and accept that the Glaws player has to be carded.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

a great start but that's all it is, all I ask is to see more of that style of play and that sprit within the performances, the results will take care of themselves if they can do that
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 pm
Moose wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm How much was it Glaws not offering much first half vs us putting in a great shift in defence to close them down early? Line speed and quality of tackling was miles ahead of where we've been. I think that dropped off slightly in the 2nd half which allowed them back in.
Bit of both.
I said before the game that Gloucester lack of pace would benefit us, our biggest weakness so far has been a pace guy running a channel between the 13 and Wing.

That being said the hits that did go in was with actual purpose and wasn't just around the tackles and lose a meter.
Think that's fair - we'll be tested by better backlines, but I think we're all agreed it was a strong foundation performance to build on.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

sapajo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:24 pm A team rejuvinated it was a transformation in game plan and performance. The elephant in the room is why did Murphy have to depart before this has happened ???
...he would have wanted his input into the team!!!
There was no Old Tigers vision or way we always do things performance on the pitch today....for that we should all be grateful.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Redstripeman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:24 pm A team rejuvinated it was a transformation in game plan and performance. The elephant in the room is why did Murphy have to depart before this has happened ???
There was no Old Tigers vision or way we always do things performance on the pitch today....for that we should all be grateful.
kick to the corner and maul them to death is pretty old school Tigers IMO
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 pm
Redstripeman wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:21 pm
kick to the corner and maul them to death is pretty old school Tigers IMO
Definitely remember that being part of the good old days I harken back to...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Impressive start to the season from Leicester.
High pressure and they looked energised.
Gloucester looked rudderless and perhaps missed without Heinz some of what Wigglesworth added to Leicester.