Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:55 pm Fair bit of negativity floating around already which is disappointing.. maybe it's just realism but either way I am going to remain positive until proved wrong.. Tigers have every chance of winning this one for my money.

I am very excited to see that back row combination. Reffell and Liebenberg have impressed me and Wiese will be a great signing imo. Brink will also be great to see in action and will add impact off the bench.

Henry deserves his start at 10 and was very impressive during the closing stages of last season. Wigglesworth seems to be getting a fair bit of negative press but I think his experience and game management will be invaluable. We are definitely missing the core of our backs division (Youngs, Ford, Scott, Nadolo, Muri all would be starters for me) but our back line is so much stronger than during any previous International breaks so I am quietly confident. Steward is a class act with so much potential and Potter and Porter have shown glimpses. Van Wyk will hopefully be a good acquisition.

Our pack is solid and should be well matched with theirs. Both TY and Clare have been in fine form and with Cole and Gigena that's a tasty front row. Subs a bit weak in the front row missing Genge, Mamu and DeB (still in quarantine). Henderson I really rate and is a great prospect so should add a great lineout option and good mobility around the park when he comes on.

I think we have a weak spot in the centres and a few of our subs spots could be stronger but on paper I fancy this one. New season, new coaching set up, new start.

Come on Tigers let's do this.. I mean, I'm missing the England game to watch it so I hope it doesn't disappoint! :smt023
Great post.....on paper 😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

My hope is, a bit of heart, a bit of shape, having a plan and everyone understanding the plan, that is 4 things we have been missing for several years so I will record it so I can fast forward if it turns into the usual catastrophe!

Sorry my well of hope is down to the last muddy dregs.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

BengalTiger wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:33 pm My hope is, a bit of heart, a bit of shape, having a plan and everyone understanding the plan, that is 4 things we have been missing for several years so I will record it so I can fast forward if it turns into the usual catastrophe!

You can’t record on the red button can you ?
A2O
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 pm
BengalTiger wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:33 pm My hope is, a bit of heart, a bit of shape, having a plan and everyone understanding the plan, that is 4 things we have been missing for several years so I will record it so I can fast forward if it turns into the usual catastrophe!

You can’t record on the red button can you ?
No.. can't even pause it. If you are watching on BT TV then it's different but otherwise it's a no sadly with the red button. The England game is on Channel 4 which can be recorded though if you were wondering :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Dont know what BTs issue is, you always used to be able to record on sky on some multi game days on the same channel.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:36 pm Dont know what BTs issue is, you always used to be able to record on sky on some multi game days on the same channel.
I don't think our match is on the red button! I think its the other 3.00pm match that's red button. No sure!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bt Sports 2 Extra - Tigers v Gloucester - 3-00pm
Bt Sports 3 Extra - Worcester v Irish - 3-00pm
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:34 pm Bt Sports 2 Extra - Tigers v Gloucester - 3-00pm
Is that Red button?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:34 pm Bt Sports 2 Extra - Tigers v Gloucester - 3-00pm
Is that Red button?
Red button on BT Sports 2 on Sky box.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:01 pm
LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 pm
Is that Red button?
Red button on BT Sports 2 on Sky box.
Thks
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester

Post by kk20gb30 »

ourla wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:27 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:23 pm Nothing to be overly scared of in that Gloucester line up.
If that is a joke it's not funny.

If it is serious you need to stay of the sauce.
Not meant to be funny and have not touched a drop....If we ( as a team or supporters) are quaking in our boots over facing this Glous line up there is something serioualy wrong.Respect yes, but we should be more than able to compete on equal and even terms , or perhaps we should just concede ?
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

If we lose at home against one of the weaker teams today, then we definitely will be relegation fodder. Again

Win, in various aspects, and it will give us either, a modicum of hope, or even dream of a Top 4 ?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

fortysix wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:07 am If we lose at home against one of the weaker teams today, then we definitely will be relegation fodder. Again

Win, in various aspects, and it will give us either, a modicum of hope, or even dream of a Top 4 ?
Given normal preparation and a fan filled Welford road, I'd agree with your first statement. As it is home advantage is lessened and only having 5 days to train as a team means this match isn't exactly a level playing field. I'm still hopeful we can win but it will be tougher than it should, and therefore it shouldn't be doom and gloom if this game goes against us, but we would have to swiftly change it round.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

This is a winnable game - not going to be easy and definitely not a gimme but as far as a season opener goes there could have been much worse.Our prep is and has not been ideal but Gloucester themselves are neither settled nor at full strength.
George Skivington and his coaching team have only been in situ since end of July and pre Ackermans departure they were heading south down the Premiership table at alarming speed - how they were being run and who exactly was running them were open questions at their place as was the influence of Danny Cipriani. They need a decent start as much as we do - its just you seem to hear less of the problems at other clubs.
Games are never lost before they are played - we have every chance.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Interesting game, difficult to predict. I don't understand all the hyperbole over this Glouc backline... Atkinson is a decent Premiership 12, nothing more, Cipriani has a 50% chance of actually being up for the game these days, the rest are a few injuries and a few years past their prime. Still a good line up and I'm not saying they are weak or that ours is better, but not one to make you hide behind the sofa in terror. It isn't like we have Radrada and Piutau staring back at us from the other side of the pitch - no disrespect to Atkinson and Sharples, but if they strike fear into the hearts of Tigers, we might as well just pack our bags and sod off to the Championship now.

Both teams have new coaches and both are in poor form. Gloucester's big advantage is that most of their XV have played together for at least a couple of years, whereas our are still getting to know each other.

As RagingBull says, it's a refreshing change to be able to say our back row looks like it could dominate today - it's been a long time since I've thought that!

If our pack are on the back foot then, yes, their backs have the ability to punish us. Simpson and Cips at their best and on the front foot can be as destructive as any 9/10 duo out there. The key for us is to win the territory battle (Wigglesworth should be better at that than Simpson) and at least match their forwards.

I'm going with a Tigers win.

I'll be watching the Tigers game live, and gambling on the England match being viewable straight after on Amazon - I think it will be.