A Proper Clear Out

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: A Proper Clear Out

Post by Traveller »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:52 am When Geordan took over as Head Coach he had more actual coaching experience than either Dean Richards or Pat Howard when they took charge and they did not turn out too badly. I do not share the view that Geordan was out of his depth, the circumstances he inherited were awful due to previous bad decisions and other matters beyond his or the clubs control. At the start of his first season it was arranged that Steve Borthwick would be joining in a Head Coach role when free from England duties so Geordan with most of his first team away at the World Cup continued in charge of coaching, and as previously agreed moved to D.O.R when Borthwick eventually arrived. In the meantime Jan McGinity had been appointed to a talent spotting and recruitment role surely part of a D.O.R's job. We have virtually a new Board of Directors in the midst of a world wide pandemic, fresh eyes were looking at how to take the club forward. Geordan had more than a year left on his contract yet The Rugby Paper mischievously to fill space breaks a story that no discussions had taken place re extending that contract, did that precipitate Geordan asking for clarification on his position and on finding that the Boards thinking was not to his liking decided to go now. I am sure others like myself have been in a position where you decide (or someone else decides) whether to work your notice or leave immediately. I do not think Geordan was set up to fail, sometimes life is a :censored: and things just do not turn out right.
'I do not share the view that Geordan was out of his depth'

If that is the case, then what level of performance in terms of wins and losses would Murphy have to had 'achieved' for you to come to the view that he was out of his depth? 40+ games Won 1 Lost 39? 40+ games Won 2 Lost 38?
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:19 pm
Redstripeman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:51 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Geordan was given a contract for DOR till the end of the season and approached the Club to try and sort out a longer contract to be told that he would not be offered a DOR contract renewal when it expired. The Club have the hindsight and benefit to make the decisions with information that is not open to everyone and we can all agree of disagree. Times are moving and it may have always been in the plan, to be reviewed.
Nobody, other than Geordan, Peter Toms and Andrea Pinchen know all the details but the Club are always at fault it would appear.
..if you were in the same position as Murphy and was informed that your role within a new structure was for one season only, would you have accepted it!!!
After all the flack that he had taken and the marring and complete shredding of his standing within the club in relation to supporters and having the Board agreeing that they will give you anything that you ask for, why would you accept such a situation?
Absolute stupidity, that he should put himself, in that situation!!!
Personally if I was in his shoes yes. If I planned to stay in a similar role, I would look to enhance my reputation with a improving team and leave at a time when clubs are looking at recruitment for the following year.
...some people would say that perspective is naive or more accurately foolhardy!!!
In a situation where you are being backed to the hilt and anything you ask for is given in order to maintain your serves, you ask for a 3-5 year contract as you have been charged to oversee a vision that you have previously agreed with the Board.
How can you have continuity and oversee such a project in one season and then seek to ask for extensions when your job is to oversee the whole club structure and devise policies in order to facilitate a linear growth.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:31 pm Seems to me a sufficient attempt at a hatchet job has been done by RedStripeMan :smt002 and a sufficient attempt at a defence of GM done by John Griffiths :smt001 .
Can we put this one to bed now?
I, and Mrs G, are looking forward to spotting anybody in the playing and coaching department left standing by the time we get to WR (let alone stand on the Crumbie Terrace again :smt010 ). The only ones we will recognise (apart from those we have booed in the past, like SB), are the groundstaff.
I'm sure there is need for a renewed signings/staff thread, complete with likely decapitation dates - bit like revolutionary France, this, at least Smurf wasn't dispatched by Andrea Pinchen while in the ice bath. :smt004
Or drowned in a butt of malmsey wine!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:32 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:31 pm Seems to me a sufficient attempt at a hatchet job has been done by RedStripeMan :smt002 and a sufficient attempt at a defence of GM done by John Griffiths :smt001 .
Can we put this one to bed now?
I, and Mrs G, are looking forward to spotting anybody in the playing and coaching department left standing by the time we get to WR (let alone stand on the Crumbie Terrace again :smt010 ). The only ones we will recognise (apart from those we have booed in the past, like SB), are the groundstaff.
I'm sure there is need for a renewed signings/staff thread, complete with likely decapitation dates - bit like revolutionary France, this, at least Smurf wasn't dispatched by Andrea Pinchen while in the ice bath. :smt004
Or drowned in a butt of malmsey wine!
Pete Tom in the drawing room with a candlestick?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I just wonder if a phantom position of DOR was created just to ensure Murphy would continue as HC until SB arrived, there was a big gap between SB being appointed and his due date of arrival? Someone had to continue coaching the team until SB arrived, after which the phantom position would disappear.? Was Geordan fooled? :smt017
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:19 pm I just wonder if a phantom position of DOR was created just to ensure Murphy would continue as HC until SB arrived, there was a big gap between SB being appointed and his due date of arrival? Someone had to continue coaching the team until SB arrived, after which the phantom position would disappear.? Was Geordan fooled? :smt017
[my bold]

AFAIK Geordan was offered the position in good faith - and accepted it in the same vein.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:39 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:19 pm I just wonder if a phantom position of DOR was created just to ensure Murphy would continue as HC until SB arrived, there was a big gap between SB being appointed and his due date of arrival? Someone had to continue coaching the team until SB arrived, after which the phantom position would disappear.? Was Geordan fooled? :smt017
[my bold]

AFAIK Geordan was offered the position in good faith - and accepted it in the same vein.
It was just a possible theory!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:46 pm
strawclearer wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:39 pm
[my bold]

It was just a possible theory!
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
SydneySevens

Post by SydneySevens »

A proper clear out must mean a proper clear out ?! All of the recent years and lack of success has been predominantly with the same board or similar group of names. No time left for the same self-gratification of those hoping to profit from the sale of a rapidly declining asset. The reputation is history, it's time to start a new journey in the vanguard, not the Guard's Van...
How do you give the board a small business - give them a big one and wait !
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

SydneySevens wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:10 pm A proper clear out must mean a proper clear out ?! All of the recent years and lack of success has been predominantly with the same board or similar group of names. No time left for the same self-gratification of those hoping to profit from the sale of a rapidly declining asset. The reputation is history, it's time to start a new journey in the vanguard, not the Guard's Van...
How do you give the board a small business - give them a big one and wait !
...Peter Tom now has nowhere else to hide, any failure and he is now the man responsible and very much in the firing line!!!
I believe the new set up will work as Borthwick knows what he wants and is not being second guessed by someone without his knowledge and experience.