Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Post by Tigerbeat »

LTTV episode going out tonight at 8-30 with Peter Tom, Andrea Pinchen and Steve Borthwick.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I will always remember GM as a fantastic player. On the pitch a Tigers Legend. I wish him well.

He was the one who grasped the nettle when MOC left the team in a shocking state and the Board did not have the guts to admit they where the problem.

But we now move into the next chapter and I look forward to seeing what SB can achieve.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

With so many departures the once great club that I have supported for many decades has now lost it's soul. The players drop in and out so quickly it is hard to keep up with their names let alone feel they are committed to the club beyond doing a job for the money.
The Tigers culture that was so strong under Deano, Pat, Cockers and struggled but kept alive by Smurph, now has nobody to carry it forward.
In fact the only thing that will be familiar about Tigers when we return to WR will be the Crumbie Stand and 'Smoke on the Water' but even that is not certain to continue under a new regime!
It is now down to Borthwick and Wigglesworth to create a new culture which may be a lot closer to Sarries than Tigers. We shall see. It may not be to my taste as winning at all costs is not everything IMO.
If I see a culture I don't like then that is the one thing that would cause me to walk away from supporting Tigers.
Of course if Borthwick leaves before giving us a new culture then we are really up the proverbial without a paddle.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Surprised by the timing , but cant say that I'm surprised by the news - especially when you look at The Clubs performance over the two/three seasons. Always will have the fondest memories of Geordan Murphy the player , but he should never have been in the position(s) that he was placed in - simply too inexperienced.All in all his legacy should be preserved , not destroyed , so this may well well end up being a wise move for all involved.
A mixture of sympathy for the person but relief also , as Borthwick must be allowed to stand or fall on his own merits (as Murph was allowed to), with his own people around him and make his own decisions unfettered by those surrounding him.Our Club is all that matters , not personalities and you never move forward constantly glancing backwards or by having one foot nailed to the floor.
Simply put The Club has to get back to winning games of Rugby - and if Borthwick is as intense and single minded as has been reported then great - he is just the man to lead us.So , let him lead and give him his chance.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

So. Farewell Mr Murphy. I'll miss you. One of my favourites on the pitch but as a coach? The record speaks for itself I'm afraid.

I've agree in some ways that the ins and outs of professional righby have ripped the heart of the club. You've no sooner taken a player to your heart than he's off playing for someone else. And doing it rather well.

For me the in chaotic season just past we saw a glimmer of hope that an obstenate pack was returning. If Borthwick can build on that and start wining games. If we start winning games perhaps players will stay and consistency can again establish itself.

If we have consistency and a good run of results confidence may yet build.... And who knows. Borthwick could be a new Deano, Howard or Cockers. (As a coach, that is. He never played for us.)

Patience, me ducks! And keep the faith.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I guess finally Tigers have muddled their way to the right answer, sadly Murphy time as coach was up. Although this should have been after the Harlequins game, not a week before the start of the new season.

You could rightly argue he should never have been appointed in the first place which the club is to blame for. However, after Cockerill we’ve been in a cycle of wrong decision after another. Hopefully Borthwick, Walters and McGinty is the start of things improving.

Finally, this won’t diminish what Murphy was as a player for Tigers, a true great, two European and seven premiership medals speak for themselves.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:56 pm I guess finally Tigers have muddled their way to the right answer
Kind of how it feels doesn't it.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:51 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:56 pm I guess finally Tigers have muddled their way to the right answer
Kind of how it feels doesn't it.
Sadly, yes. The board just seemed to have blind faith that he would follow in Deano and Cocker’s footsteps.

That was a mistake.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:56 pm I guess finally Tigers have muddled their way to the right answer.
This is a succinct way of summing up the last few years.

What puzzles me is that on 1 July the club 'created' a DoR role and promoted Geordan into it. Just four months later, we've effectively made the role redundant by saying we now need someone with different responsibilities. How many times do we get the roles/responsibilities/structure wrong!? It's no wonder the coaching set-up has had little success!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Could be that back in July the length of the Covid saga wasn't fully understood - remember there had been signs that fans were about to be allowed back a few weeks ago, whereas now that isn't going to be until well into the new year, I suspect. Perhaps part of this is recognising that a full DoR role is a luxury rather than a necessity and as much as anything else this is futher cost-cutting. Squads and backroom staff are going to be pared back as much as possible.

During the podcast Tom and Pinchin did say there was going to be some sort of admin role in place of the DoR, but it didn't sound to me as being as hig profile. In part the timing was GM prompting discussions about the fact that his contract was up at the end of next season anyway.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I feel sure that cost cutting had a lot to do with the decision and in the end we are probably where we needed to be.

I see strategy as a matter for the board and implementation part of the role of the CEO so for me we shouldn't need to recruit anyone else.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree, the cost-cutting is a small beneficial consequence rather than a contributing factor.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Noggs wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:51 am I feel sure that cost cutting had a lot to do with the decision and in the end we are probably where we needed to be.

I see strategy as a matter for the board and implementation part of the role of the CEO so for me we shouldn't need to recruit anyone else.
..more like convenience!!!
Covid is a good cover, as the realisation that Murphy, in any capacity can not bring anything to the table and making his position redundant was a way to cover the Board's numerous mistakes in their appointments and decisions previously taken.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Geordan wasn't going to have his contract renewed so chose to leave now, the club didn't plan to remove the DoR role at this time
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:23 am What puzzles me is that on 1 July the club 'created' a DoR role and promoted Geordan into it. Just four months later, we've effectively made the role redundant by saying we now need someone with different responsibilities. How many times do we get the roles/responsibilities/structure wrong!? It's no wonder the coaching set-up has had little success!
It's certainly a strange turn of events.

Just for clarity I think the Borthwick/Murphy appointments were announced at the start of April, it was just that Borthwick couldn't take up the position until 1st July. Anyhow...

I wonder where Murphy saw his career going. I get the impression (I could be wrong) that Murphy is too loyal and too nice for his own good. When Borthwick was brought in as a Head Coach I assumed Murphy was in on it but listening to Peter Tom now it sounds like it's purely on his head. In which case I would have thought Murphy would have taken umbrage and said well you need to sack me and pay me up. But I don't know if he believes in himself as a Head Coach. Or Maybe the DoR role was sold to him as a promotion. Either way I am guessing he was happy to take it and didn't see Borthwick coming in as a slight on his Coaching ability or otherwise.

Skip forward 6 months Murphy has started the conversation about a contract extension. I am guessing he didn't do so back in March/April. So the question is did the board have some thoughts about a change of role for Murphy back then or was this something that developed over the Summer. Maybe, as some have speculated, it was purely a financial decision. But then there were still offering him a role of some kind and anyway it was an extension - they would have expected to have paid him the rest of the season. So I am not convinced it was financial.

Maybe there were a bit unsure about Borthwick - when/if he would come, whether it would work out, whether him and Murphy would gel. Perhaps now Borthwick is here they feel more confident, maybe they realise he can take more on. Was what they offered to Murphy out of guilt/loyalty and it was obvious to him, he was just being used a sort of mascot. So many questions, that will probably go unanswered, for a while at least.