Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Geordan Murphy

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

The no relegation theory would make sense.
First thoughts are maybe there will be no DoR replacement, and the role will be absorbed between McGinity and Borthwick, being brutal, it’s a salary saved in the current climate. Just bring in coaching replacements for Taylor and Stankovich. I wouldn’t be stunned if Ford also left, and Borthwick got a full new suite of coaches of his own choice, he obviously inherited working with Murphy, Boris and Ford. Walters and Taylor were presumably his only inputs, and Taylor is believed to be personal reasons for leaving, not coaching reasons.

All that aside, best of luck to Murphy going forward (as with the others too). Geordan will is a true club legend as a player, it has always seemed to lack the ability as a coach/DoR to turn the tide.
Last edited by FrontRowUnionMember on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Given all the turmoil, it pains me to say that it will be an achievement if we stay up this coming season. Out “so called” most influential players being away for a lot of the season and the task being passed to a dis-jointed coaching set up, with a pretty new and inexperienced squad....it will be a decent effort to not finish bottom. It was going to be tough anyway but now....
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Post by Traveller »

Murphy gone, Bakewell gone, Phil Blake gone, Boris gone, Rob Taylor gone, Dupay (hope spelling is correct) gone, Simon Cohen gone, Jed Glynn gone - but Mike Ford, the Gloria Gaynor of coaches is still hanging in their by the skin of his teeth and clause 6 paragraph seven of his eldest son's contract. Mike 'I will survive' Ford.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

mol2 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:42 pm After the restart we had a new head coach but did the game plan change? Perhaps we performed better but the game plan seemed largely unchanged. A few interchanges between Nadolo and Steward aside it was more of the same. Perhaps drilled better & certainly fitter but not evolution let alone revolution.

I suspect it became a choice of back the head coach or remain with the status quo.
Spot on observation nothing has changed save the squad still playing the same old bilge rugby.
Strikes me of club history repeating itself just like Cockers vs Mauger.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

I just hope the fans can see beyond the results to recognise that he was handed a poison chalice, and it was loyalty to his Club that motivated him to try and dig it out of a hole.

These recent times must never take away from Geordie's well-deserved playing legendary status.

After tying the hands of Cockers, then sacking him, PT has appointed ALL of the failed Head Coaches/DORs.

Is the obvious conclusion wrong?
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Traveller wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:10 pm Murphy gone, Bakewell gone, Phil Blake gone, Boris gone, Rob Taylor gone, Dupay (hope spelling is correct) gone, Simon Cohen gone, Jed Glynn gone - but Mike Ford, the Gloria Gaynor of coaches is still hanging in their by the skin of his teeth and clause 6 paragraph seven of his eldest son's contract. Mike 'I will survive' Ford.
His contract must have included a "cannot sack my dad" clause.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

JWM wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:14 pm I just hope the fans can see beyond the results to recognise that he was handed a poison chalice, and it was loyalty to his Club that motivated him to try and dig it out of a hole.

These recent times must never take away from Geordie's well-deserved playing legendary status.

After tying the hands of Cockers, then sacking him, PT has appointed ALL of the failed Head Coaches/DORs.

Is the obvious conclusion wrong?
To my face: "O'Connor was my mistake - I hold my hands up to that. Borthwick is my appointment and, if he fails, I'll fall on my sword."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Gutted - many thanks for all the skill and dedication over the years - a top bloke.
So sad to see so many with long term connections to the club leaving.
Best wishes to Geordie in his next role.
Maybe like Cockers he will show what a good coach he is in a new environment.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

:smt017 Rather scratching my head on this.

Given that we have just rebranded the club to reflect what we were led to believe was Geordan's vision it seems strange to dispense with his services without really giving him a chance to implement it. A good number of the new signings have been quoted as saying that one of the influencing factors in their joining was his vision for the club's future. Where does that leave the club? Or do we now get a new vision communicated by Steve Borthwick which they may or may not buy into?

I cannot argue with all the plaudits previous posters have given Geordan - a unique talent as a player and one I am grateful to have witnessed perform in a Tigers shirt.

As a head coach and DOR he was given an almost impossible job. I'm not convinced that even the most experienced/high profile coach/DOR would have been able to quickly turn around the position he inherited following the departure of Matt O'Connor.

I remain puzzled as to why this has happened now but I don't expect to see anything more by way of explanation than the bland corporate speak that has so far been issued.

All I can say is thanks for the memories Geordie. You'll always be a club legend and a true Tiger! Best wishes for the future!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The writing had been on the wall for a while so it’s hardly surprising. However, when someone who’s been associated with the club for so long and seemed part of the furniture is suddenly sent on his way, it’s a bit of a wrench. All the best Geordan!
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:32 pm Promoted to Skills Coach (due to being a 'gun' player) = our skills were :censored:
Pains to me read this kind of drivel on here so frequently. Do you really think skills coach meant he was working with the forwards on their spin passes? No he was working with back three players. Players like Thompstone, Morris and TV who came in quite raw but ended up with good positioning and great work under the high ball. That was a role where he was unfairly mocked time and time again with no good reason at all.

Backs coach and head coach did not go well and he wasn't exactly given a plush job. MOC was an unmitigated disaster of an appointment and board should be hanging their heads in shame over that. As a DOR he brought in some good things particularly with the development pathway.

I'm grateful for his hard work over an awful time for the club. He was an amazing player and will hopefully be brought back in as an ambassador of the club. I'm sure media and speaker offers will be with his agent shortly.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Thanks, Geordie - as a Tiger and a player, you are hard to be bettered. You stepped into a situation which not many would have succeeded in and most of us here think that you were too much of a Tiger to desert the club in its hour of need. Have a break from rugby before returning in whatever role you want and I wish you well.

I don't like the comments about Mike, his son, or silly innuendoes about contracts. If he is not on track with what Steve is doing or wants to do, then, I am sure, will leave of his own volition.

I too think there is something going on which I doubt we will ever really know the truth of, but I have major concerns about so many backroom staff leaving in such a short period of time. It is worse than what is happening in number 10 today.
Hehehehehehehehe
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

A sad end for one of the club's greats as a player, but as a coach?

I wonder how all this continuing recent turmoil will be reflected in the team's performances (will we even notice?), and what is a realistic ambition now for the season?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My pure speculation as too what might have happened.
Borthwick was given more power than Murphy and his coaching guys (Thinking mainly Stanko) expected? (Maybe hinted at Murphy saying he would originally pick the team, too it becoming Borthwick's thing)
Stanko didn't like this and decided now is the time to move on and have a change of scenery. (Notice Borthwick doesn't say anything in Stanko's leaving statement).
Taylor goes and Borthwick brings in Wigglesworth as a player/coach.
Early talks about what would happen with Murphy's contract end of season, Tom says that with McGinty and Borthwick the team doesn't have space for a DOR end of season.
Murphy decides to go now.
Rory Underwood doesn't agree with this, sees Murphy as Tigers through and through, rather resigns before the news is announced so he isn't associated with it.
McGinty handles the off field stuff and Borthwick the on field stuff.

Pure speculation.
Could maybe go on and say the club might be more attractive with buyers IDK.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Geordan was appointed following the dismissal of Matt O'Connor, he was left with a team that was unfit, a back line that was largely absent and a back up squad that was simply not good enough. The following season started with two thirds of his team absent for the World Cup and the knowledge that at some point Steve Borthwick would be coming in as Head Coach. The performance of the team on the restart following lockdown was determined by the selection of some inexperienced players, I could see a logic to those selections in the circumstances but do not know who actually picked the team. I was puzzled going forward how a Director Of Rugby role for Geordan and the recruitment role occupied by Jan McGinity would gel so I suppose that problem is now solved.
I am very sorry to see Geordan's time at our club come to an end. personally I am not sure that it is a right decision, time will tell, I join others in wishing him all the best for the future and success in whatever job he takes.