LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by mol2 »

Aside from losing the new attack coach, could some of the departures be Borthwick asserting himself and opting for his own team.
We still don’t know why Boris left, but if Ford does go then it does start to fall in place if appointments take place. The only bit that doesn’t add up is the timing.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by jgriffin »

Pure speculation, but for people with young families, relocating to NZ and finding lower paid work there is a no brainer. As for ford, half the posters on here (especially BigDan50) should be applauding, given their postal history.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Pleased with the confirmation of de Bruin and also the retention of Williams for the upcoming season.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

De Bruin looks like a good signing, and Williams is a smart move considering international callups.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:07 pm Might be worth taking a few pinches of salt with this Ford-Wales speculation. The journalist lists "a selection of the potential candidates" - i.e. a list of people who might be considered by Wales. No assertion at all that any of them are being considered or would be interested. The final name he lists is Sean Edwards...

He describes Mike Ford's most recent experience as "spells with Dallas Griffins and Germany". It sounds like he hasn't actually heard that Ford joined Leicester and is currently employed.

In short, it's a piece of idle speculation based on shoddy research and zero inside info.
Teach me to read an article before commenting. Smack on own hand.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So at one point we were rumoured to be looking for the following:

Project LH
Project TH
Fly half
Left Wing
Outside Centre

Since then we've signed
Bonilla (Fly Half)
Williams re-signed (Winger)
de Bruin (covers both sides of the scrum)
Wigglesworth (Scrum Half)

To my mind spending a bit more getting only one prop who is a bit more developed and covers both sides does the same job, also allows a bit more leeway to develop a bit of game time for the development guys if no Championship season is played. (Plus a 7 month contract probably leaves a bit more cap availability elsewhere)

Wigglesworth and Williams both help on the winger front, Wigglesworth as it means Simmons is more free to be a back 3 player if needed.

That leaves an outside centre, plus since then Lavannini has been injured.

The only remaining signings I think we would see are these.
Outside centre probably more important than a Lock, but wouldn't say no if a short term Lock given Martin is injured too.

What are others thoughts here?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

We were rumoured to be after the Scottish centre Huw (can’t remember his second name).
A2O
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:13 pm We were rumoured to be after the Scottish centre Huw (can’t remember his second name).
Jones.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

mol2 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:44 pm Aside from losing the new attack coach, could some of the departures be Borthwick asserting himself and opting for his own team.
We still don’t know why Boris left, but if Ford does go then it does start to fall in place if appointments take place. The only bit that doesn’t add up is the timing.
Borthwick brings a style and an intensity which will suit some - but not others.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Borthwick has to be allowed his own people to do things his own way.His call, his decisions as ultimately it is his head on the block , so to speak.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rory Underwood has left the board of directors with immediate effect.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:58 pm Rory Underwood has left the board of directors with immediate effect.
Great servant of the Club; absolute legend - and maybe the right move for both parties. Thanks Rory! :smt038
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

What is going on at Tigers, is there internal strife, why are we suddenly getting these resignations, something does not feel right to me? :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean a Scrum Coach, a Backs coach who is leaving on compassionate basis and a Non exec BOD isn't exactly crazy.

IDK maybe because I wouldn't mind seeing all the BOD who have been involved in the previous seasons mess up's go.
From sounds of it Stanko and Taylor are both back in New Zealand IF true IMO it's pretty understandable from my eyes at least.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think a lot of us would rather be in NZ right now.
It would be good to know why Boris & to some extent "Rod" left, if it was because of Covid why not just say?

As for Rory a member of the first team when I started watching Tigers, Barry Evans & him were fantastic to watch, how we used to laugh on the terrace when on a pre International weekend Rory would get a tight hamstring after about 50mins, replaced with the crys of see you at Twickers next week Rory echoing across the Crumbie.
For those who never got to see him (or Barry) play in the flesh...bad luck.
To win is not as important as playing with style!